bridges: the unabridged version. (HA, pun.)

so i was wondering if it's safe to ride a moped on steel grates, such as those on draw bridges and such. i don't want to try and then explode my tires and die.

if you're familiar with portland, i'm speaking mostly about the hawthorne bridge.

YO.

Re: bridges: the unabridged version. (HA, pun.)

ha! you said to google nouveau riche. makes me think you're nouveau appris. google it.

and no you will not blow up your tires. funny though.

p.s. your puch looks hawt.

fish_SHARK /

i hold my breath when riding over steel bridges and near cemeteries, and so far my tires haven't blown.

i don't speak the french, yo. i just know little french quips.

like OH LA LA! and bon appetite! and blah blah blah french.

I do not believe that the steel grates will caus your tires to blow but they sure make your 'ped wiggle around. You have to go slow and be careful.

ya go real slow.

we have a bridge near us with one of those craxy cheeze grater things on it. scares the hell out of me. Try's to pull the wheel a bit actually. So go slow.

What about some new tires to build your confidence emily? Nothing makes a ped ride better then new rubber.

we have tons of those in Seattle and I have never heard of any motorcycle, scooter or moped crashing on a bridge due to the grating in the 6 years I've lived hear. I cross twice every day and have never had any problems.

I find the slower you go the more 'wiggly' it feels. Just haul ass and don't steer too stiff, that's how we all do it every time. Even when they're wet I haul ass, they're no big deal, just feels a bit wierd.

You can, it's scary. Might as well be driving around on ice.

Buncha wimps (who obviously don't live in a city littered with grated bridges).

ride diagonal across the grates, if you do that your tires wont try to "trac" in the grooves. I cross a drawbridge everyday and have had no troubles.

Yeah, ride fast over everything. Seriously, if your not at WOT all the time, you must have your chemical imbalance fucked up. Seriously though, go faster, everyone.

brendan is right. I do the same thing when riding on loose gravel. just gun it :D

IF your running 30 year old rubber on your moped, that is your first problem. Assuming your Puch has 17" rims, get a pair of the Michelin M62 Gazelle tires and a lot of tire tubes. Have someone who has installed them before help you put it on because they are tricky! Your moped will have new life to it afterwards.

i dont know, that hawthorne bridge is scary, some of the puddle cutters said, " do not go on that brige or you will end up like grated cheese". So we rode in the bike lane. You could propbably make it, just go over it and then tell us all about how it went, haha

seriously though, brendan's right. faster across the grating will make the bike ride straighter. hold your bars steady, don't put your feel down, don't change lanes, and don't hit your brakes. you'll go across smoothly.

don't put your feet down. i can't seem to type lately.

but i'd like to reiterate that one anyway. the first time i went across grating i wobbled and instinctively put my foot down. the toe of my shoe caught he grating and twisted back. i walked with a limp for the next week.

UGH SO MUCH BAD ADVICE.

Emily, please listen to Brendan and Seth (who are apparently the only people who ride mopeds). Don't listen to anyone else. DON'T ride diagonally across the grates. don't put your feet down. two wheeled vehicles balance at speed. the moped will feel a little strange, like when you drive across white painted lines in the road - just a little less traction then you're used to.

There's like a specific section about this in the DMV motorcycle handbook (in CA at least.) Read up people.

5 of us are leaving tomorrow for seattle from sf. we'll be riding around your turf for the weekend. look for us.

wait, what? who is '5 of us'?

What're you coming for and where are you staying?

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

Emily. Use the Burnside bridge. I believe most Cutters avoid the Hawthorne bridge. The Steel Bridge is OK too.

we're coming up to ride, see friends, catch a show. me, lea, andre, doug, kailee, and possibly one more.

we're coming up to ride, see friends, catch a show. me, lea, andre, doug, kailee, and possibly one more.

double post, sorry. using shady coffee shop internet from downstairs.

On mopeds? Sweet.

Yeah when i ride into the city i have to cross two bridges both ways. Listen to seth and brendan. Though i try to go a tad slower than normal in case i have to stop.

John Joedicke /

Right. slight diagonal, hold you speed and a light grip on the bars. Simple way to cross the grated bridges.

gun it, cintrifical force (idk how to spell) of your wheels is highest and keeping u steady at highest speed u should be fine and don't crash from experiences on a bike that stuff hurts really bad even at 15 mph

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account