Help for a new moped rider

Help for a new moped rider /

Hey everyone, I have desired a moped for a while and will probably use it to commute back and forth to college on (maybe 40 miles round trip) in California.

Tomos seems to be the most popular (new) brand, but I was wondering if any of you have any other alternatives I could check out. Everything used seems to be from the 70's oil crunch and is rusted to hell or left outside. Also, there doesn't seem to be any dealers close by to where I live, and if there is any problem with ordering online. I'm pretty experienced with cycling equipment, but was wondering if this would be a problem, or is it pretty self-explanatory. Also noticed that a lot of users were modifying their mopeds with big-bore kits for extra performance. How hard would it be to put one of these on? I am assuming that it makes it illegal to use on the road without a Moto liscence as it is changing the displacement, no? Somehow I doubt anyone could ever know though...

Thanks everyone! I am probably going to buy a Tomos Sprint as soon as I save up enough cash.

Re: Help for a new moped rider

Its easy to do anything to a Tomos, and yes a kit will probably make you need a license, but it all depends on where you live.

Kuro Neko Neko

but no cop will pull u over and say hay thats a 65 cc kit u got on there, and if u r worried about that leave the engine covers on. but a new Tomos is pretty fast ,unrestricted, which is change your gearing and pipe.

Christopher Staggs /

I myself like the older style 79-80's style ped. More metal parts. todays peds have plastic parts. Go to a Flea Market or garage sale and pick up one for a couple hundred bucks. You know the ol' saying oldies but goodies.

In Ca you need a class M2 endorsement on your drivers license to drive a moped.

Help for a new moped rider /

"In Ca you need a class M2 endorsement on your drivers license to drive a moped."

That is a bummer. I assumed it was covered under this, but now that I read it over again that seems to only apply to electric bikes:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm

Whatever, I'll just go over and take the test. I am over 18 so I don't need to take the MRTC. I just lament having to stand in line at the DMV for two hours. :(

Thanks for the replies everyone!

« Go to Topic — end of thread