First Moped Questions

Hello all, first I guess I should introduce myself since I am new to this forum and am asking questions of previous moped owners expertise. My name is Chris and I am hoping to buy my first moped sometime within 5 months, the kind of moped I am looking for is one that falls under a law which allows me to ride so long as I am 18 years of age and have a valid class E drivers license and the moped has an engine displacement of under 50cc. So now that that's out of the way I want to ask about a good first moped and what are some of the things I should look into learning for operating my moped better. The moped I was hoping to start out with is a brand new 2008 Tomos Sprint, any comments on this? What should I be reading/researching now to better handle any mechanical problems that might arise in the future while I am riding? What kinds of gear should I buy and what kinds of tuning should I expect to do? Thanks for anytime helping answer any of these questions, for ease in answering them I should say again this is my first moped, I have no experience driving them nor working on them or repairing them, but have plenty of time to learn how to do so, thanks again.

Re: First Moped Questions

good moped can be made to go fast pretty easily it really depends what u wanna do with it how fast do u wanna go how much torque do u want generally u only get to chose one of the 2. and re jet when ever u change something even your gears

good first moped I would suggest are the tomos, puchs, and minarellis . The little more advanced bikes are ones like the French ( I love the French bike, but you need to be good to keep them running.) Jawas and batavaus

You can't good wrong with a sprint. If and when you decide to hop it up. It don't have all the crap you don't need to go fast.

nice bikes... i just bought a 2008 sprint... slow as fuck stock... but theres alot of new restrictions on the engine that i understand can easly and cheaply modded to make it go faster...

For new, definitely a Tomos Sprint. I have an '08 with a Biturbo, foam air filter, rejetted carb, and have hit 37 mph w/stock gearing, verified by my little yellow Garmin eTrex GPS. I have a 22 tooth rear sprocket that I plan to install this weekend, and hope that gets me to 40 mph. If you are looking for a vintage moped, look for a stock Puch Maxi or Newport with an E50 single speed engine. Peace. Jerry.

My first and only ped is a puch maxi one speed it has been easy to work on and easy to get parts for

Thanks for all the responses, I guess the Sprint is a good choice for starting and some other models have been suggested, well thanks!

« Go to Topic — end of thread