Thinking of buy vintage moped, need suggestions

I've never bought or owned a moped but I can't resist the look of vintage mopeds. I've been looking around for one and found an add on craigslist. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on if this is a good deal, good moped, or anything else. Thanks.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/704955660.html

Re: Thinking of buy vintage moped, need suggestion

I dont know, i might keep looking.

I dont know alot about trac mopeds. I do think they are kinda stuck between lookning vintage and being more modern. Thats not always a great thing either.

Id look around on the picture link on the top of the page, look at puch, garelli, sachs, cimatti, or whatever floats ya boat.

Id also check your state and local laws before trying to register the trac. That would be fine in mass cause we dont need to have pedals and the like, but i cant see in that pic but it looks like pegs.

id also ask about parts avail for those trac peds, i dont know what its like...

Puch, old Tomos, Motobecane, anything with a Minarelli are good options. Garelli are hard to find parts for, Minarelli can be kinda hard too but are very solid engines. I tend to avoid things that are more obscure because not being able to find parts sucks majorly especially for your first ped.

yah Noah has a real valid point about the garelli. Minerelli yes, maybe not garelli...

BryAn eurism /

Haha Trac? The GEARS break and there is nowhere to get new ones

A Motobecane 50V is a great beginner ped, so is anything with a Sachs or Minarelli motor

lol did you just say a moby is a great beginner ped?

i think not.

the most parts seem to be available for Tomos (obviously), Puch, Peugeot and Motobecane. That being said, I think for your first ped a Tomos is always a safe bet. Even if you buy a new(er) Sprint/Targa and strip all of the plastic fairing off it looks like a vintage ped; minus the ripped seat and grease spot under the engine block, that is.

Once you learn to take care of a good solid runner, then you can add to your fleet with a vintage bike. Jumping in with an old bike can be very frustrating and expensive.

Anyone disagree?

A Trac Sprint was my first ped. It was reliable as anything. If something breaks you can't really get parts anywhere except for moedjunkyard. I found alot of stuff was interchangeable wih Batavus peds. They are slow. A Puch would be a Great beginer ped and lots of performance options are available. It all depends on what your looking for. That Trac is in GREAT condition from what I see though. Hope I helped.

A motobecane is a great beginner ped, as is anything with a puch, sachs, or minarelli engine.

Have to jump on the puch bandwagon.

They look cool, they are simple and reliable, and as far as older bikes go their parts are the most common.

1. Tomos

2. Puch

3. Garelli (Parts are available on Ebay from Italy now but rubber clutches are weird)

4. Motobecane ( I just don't like them very much yet, no experience)

1978 honda express

did anyone else notice that the craigslist ad was for a motorcycle? Kick start, no pedals, etc.

I like the Honda PA 50 II bikes they are reliable and parts are plentiful. Take a look at ebay you usually can find bikes that have been laying around for a while and the owners can't get started because they just don't clean out the carbs an gas tank before filling with fresh gas. I picked up the bikes on the cheap that way

I would have to suggest a step through Puch Maxi or Newport with an E50 single speed engine as the best vintage moped out there for a beginner. They are super easy to work on, parts are readily available, they have class, and you can usually get a good deal on one. The only probem they really have is the Bing carb, but you'll figure that out eventually. Peace. Jerry.

my first was a moby 50v. i l still love it. i second the motobecane. fuck it, dive in head first.

« Go to Topic — end of thread