How fast can you really go with a speed kit?

I'm contemplating getting a speed kit for my 1978 Puch Maxi Sport.

It currently tops out at about 28mph, how fast could i get it up to with a speed kit?

and how expensive are they??

Re: How fast can you really go with a speed kit?

Cleats Onionpockets /

"go to this page":http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Cylinders

and do some research

Not sure what you mean by a speed kit, you will need a combination of things, air filter, carburetor, manifold, big bore kit, and exhaust, all designed and tuned to work together. If done right, you can almost double your speed. Nothing is free however, and the lifespan of your engine will be a lot shorter, it won't be as reliable, and you will have to spend a lot more money, and do a lot more work on it, to keep it going. Of course, this is what a lot of mopeders live for. Peace. Jerry.

a million bajillion fasts.

Yeah, you do need to be careful, you might actually break the light speed barrier, and wind up lost somewhere in time LOL. Peace. Jerry.

Plan on spending around $500 for parts, and more for someone else's labor and tuning skills if you don't know how. And don't waste your money if it is a 2 speed, it won't hold up. You need a single speed E50. Peace. Jerry

With single speed it might make the Kessel run is under 12 parsecs......like that guy with the millenium chicken.....or was it eagle? IDK, sumtin like that.

you can go 45!! without case matching and all that jaz!!

just slap it on and get the jetting right. a little rich for break in!!

65 metra kit $155

16 dellorto party pack $109

high flow filter $20

jets 80-88 $12

boss pipe $65

plus tax and shipping all from treatshq on ebay

i think this is a nice beginner set up!!

u can double the speed

you forgot flux capacitor

have to contact treats though, he doesn't always post them

65 metra kit $155

16 dellorto party pack $109

high flow filter $20

jets 80-88 $12

boss pipe $65

plus tax and shipping all from treatshq on ebay

that sounds like a pretty good setup lol

Tips: Don't force anything, you'll break it. Run with 40:1 all the time, no exceptions, jet a little high - have fun and learn as much as you can.

i go lower forties on my maxi with a stock cylinder ported by a motorcycle mechanic, a 15 bing, and a performance pipe, and i also fly up hills. so yeah theres a lot you can do it all depends on what you're after though. rebuilding your engine makes all the difference in the world too.

I was new to mopeds not all that long ago. My first kit for my maxi was the athena 70cc from moped junkyard. It is still running strong. It came jetted where it needed to be and the AMAL carb is very simple to tune. I top out at 44mph on flat ground, with the setup found here (hp-200)> http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/hipro.html

As you gain experience and learn more, you will want different stuff, but this is a good kit to get your feet wet with.

I finally got to take the Puch Maxi I had rebuilt for a ride last night.

65cc Metrakit

16:16 Dellorto (don't remember what jet I've got in it)

Rito racing crank

3 shoe clutch

Case-matched the ports as well as the intake manifold.

It seemed fast on the few short rides I'd taken, and last night I passed a buddy who had GPS'd his moped at 47+.

So kits do let you go fast!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

2 speeds are fine to kit. A number of them are going strong after 1000s of kitted miles. I guess it can be hit or miss though.

Explain why two speed transmission has anything to do with the kitted cylinder? I am a bit confused on why people say not to kit a two speed puch.

2-speeds are harder to case match because the case walls are thinner, among other things

and more things that u r making go faster and get hotter than they r made to do

« Go to Topic — end of thread