Discovered why I was slow as Kzoo

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah, so I'm an idiot. That's the first thing you should know.

The other day I was looking at my rear wheel and wondering what this strange mark all the way around it on the right side was. Well, I looked a little closer, and my rear tire was rubbing the swingarm...for weeks.

So I fixed that last night, and bam, I'm back up to the high 30s like I'm supposed to be.

Linda, remember when I said it felt like my rear brake was on sometimes? Yeah, it wasn't the brake, but thank you for the WD40 anyways. haha

I fail at moped mechanics.

Discovered why I was slow as Kzoo

I wish I could get that sound to play that goes "Wah, WAAaaaa..."

Stuff like that happens to everyone. Join the club.

Re: Discovered why I was slow as Kzoo

I pumped up my reat tire from 25psi to 35 psi and gained 2-3 mph. Joe

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Same here, both tires low. I add some air and I swear my bike was hitting speed much easier. Also had the rubbing problem, don't feel bad Mike.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I don't really feel bad. I thought it was funny in a "Doh!" kind of way.

The funny thing is a spent a while going over everything on the bike making sure it was all solid and fine for kzoo. Never noticed that. I'm wondering if it being strapped down hard in a trailer, then driven forever at highway speeds didn't kink the wheel over a little. I feel like I would've noticed this before I left... oh well. It's fixed now!

yeah i had a half inflated rear tire all of kzoo. making dumb mistakes is half the fun of mopeds. you guys going to bomb prom?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

As far as I know us St. Louis folk can't make it to Bomb Prom. We're shooting to be at the Chicago rally, and we will definitely be at the Kansas City rally.

We need to put some kits on our bikes before we do anything else. That was our #1 lesson from kzoo. haha

mo kits, mo problems

really? thats too bad. you guys were rad. you don't need kits though, high 30s is definitely pack speed. you could also port-match and open the port windows a bit and that would help a lot. free speed.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Bomb Prom is the same weekend I'm flying home to NY to visit family... doh. Next year man!

Is there much you can do with the porting on a Puch high torque cylinder? I've opened up the exhaust port to match the tecno boss I've got on there, but that's it. I'm pretty happy with my cruising speed right now, but a little faster can't hurt.

is the case matched to the cylinder? that will help a lot. plus you could widen the intake window too. what carb is on there?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I've got a 15 bing on there, but it's only on a 14 intake with a 14 intake port. Can I smooth the transition between the case and the cylinder better than it came stock? Widen the transfers? Hrm... I do want to see how far I can take the stock cylinder now.

I have the same problem on my Puch.

yeah there is a lot you can do to a stock cylinder first.

some people put playdo in the crankcase with the cylinder off or cooled wax- to prevent metal shavings from going off into the engine and dremel it down to match the cylinder-(just remember to remove the playdough afterwards! (the advantage of cooled wax is once you clean teh metal shavings off the wax acts as a lubricant so it can just stay in there-- you can also widen the transfer ramps on both case and cylinder. you can also cut the piston skirt by a few millimeters, lower the intake window, raise the exhaust port window by 1-2mm. i recommend the minarelli 15mm intake on a puch because they easily fit 15 and 16 dellortos and clear the engine easily. but you have a bing, nevermind. you can also shave down your cylinder head. anyway, all of this is easy to do- just be careful because a mistake can sometime fuck up yr cylinder. it is good to have a spare puch cylinder to do this to so if you fuck up you aren't screwed. anyway. there are a lot of posts in the performance section probably about this and im sure some portwizards could chime in here. anyway- 40's are definately doable on stock cylinders.

fish_SHARK /

my tire rubbed and i could only got 5mph it took me a few miles before i realized what it was.

Well, I'm just as glad it was rubbing. One more person stuck at the back with me -- Wohoo!

Did you ever get your exhaust leak solved, or are you still doing the pedal trick?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Thanks Mark. I had an idential cylinder as a spare, and broke the exhaust stud off inside the threads when I was on a tightening frenzy. So once I get that fixed I'll have a spare again. I'll start reading up on this. I know there were some good posts about 50/50 that'll point me in the right direction.

I went back to the tecno boss exhaust I had on there before. I wanted to be able to pedal again, and the boss performed better than the estoril anyway. The studs seem to be okay again somehow...moped magic. What are you doing to your swinger?

straight pipes are ideal for puchs i've heard.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah, the estoril has to be the most overrated POS... It performs like crap, is heavy, the nasty ass coating melts off so it looks shitty, then it rusts. I had it mounted for exactly two weeks, and the header is rusting already. It's not even winter!

Plus, for the price of an estoril I could get two tecno bosses...

wanna sell it to me for cheap? I'm running a stock pipe so anything is an improvement.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Nah. Sorry man. It was like $120 shipped. I'm not taking that much of a loss on a pipe I used for 2 weeks and hated. I only got it because of the rave reviews on here. There has to be some setup that this works awesome with, but a stock cylinder isn't it.

i find the estorils to be all about the mid range. if you're bike is geared short you'll really notice a difference in the power band, but if you are geared for top end the estoril kind of sucks. you might try taking your wheels apart and re-greasing the barrings. couldn't hurt unless they are sealed. Mark's right, there are lots of things you can do to a stock bike to make them fast.

tuck down

pump up your tires, 40+psi. 50 is good on savas

replace or lube your bearings and set the preload correctly

loose weight

wear more spandex

shave all your body hair

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah, the beard and eyebrows are holding me back...

I shaved my legs for the triathalons I used to do. I've got some sex legs fo' sho'.

one day i noticed that there was strange wear all around my rear tire on my express. i take a closer look and realize somewhere along the line the nut holding the wheel on fell off and the only thing holding it on the bike was the muffler.

scary stuff...

« Go to Topic — end of thread