Vespa Ciao top speed?

Hey folks,

I am planning on getting two 1977 Vespa Ciao mopeds for myself and m'lady, but before I do that I'd like to know how fast we could get them going stock.

Thanks.

Re: Vespa Ciao top speed?

throw some performance pipes and 13/13 dellorto carbs on them. my grande was going 35-40 with that setup, and it's a lot heavier than the ciao, so i'm guessing you'd get at least the same? terrydean knows a lot about ciaos. dean? year o' the vespa!

Thanks for the information, but I was sort of wondering how they'd do stock. Upgrading them would be an adventure for sometime down the road.

with out switiching the rear pully you'll prob hit 35 with an exhaust and carb but i also was running rich when i was riding like that. I hit 40 kitted and all that but thats another long story

stupid variator gearing

Uh, thanks but again I was looking for how fast they would go stock, as in _without_ upgrades, like a new carb or exhaust.

it depends on the model, they could be restricted to 20, 25, or 30 mph. de-restricted you can get them going 30+ with all the stock parts.

Awesome. Not entirely sure what model it is besides a 1977 ciao, but we'll definitely want to derestrict them. What sort of work does that entail?

there may be a mph designation sticker on the subframe, under the cover on the belt side.

I think the restrictions are in the gearing, exhaust, and maybe carb. You can change the gearing on the one speeds by changing the rear pulley. If it has a 12.10 carb then swap for, or drill it out to a 12.12, not sure about the exhausts but they are probably restrictive, and will probably take cutting apart and welding back together to let more air out, and an expansion chamber can't hurt. Grab them up and post pics! GL!

Thanks a ton, guys.

As far as I know the only determinate for stock speed was the carburetor, either a 10.10, 12.10 or 12.12. I might be mistaken on that, but I believe it's the case.

Mine ran about 25 stock with my 170lb frame on it, maybe a hair under 25.

With a 13.13 dellorto, a hi-flow airfilter and a weak Sito+ performance exhaust it now hits about 33. That whole setup cost about $110 and all of it installs in about 30 minutes. I highly recommend the upgrades, those particular ones are extremely easy to do.

James some are held back by gearing but i think that is only the 20mph version

what would be the ideal pipe?

Say the mopeds i am getter _were_ the 20mph model. Would it be hard to change the gearing, or find the parts necessary?

As long as they are single speed look into a new pully, I have a few laying around if your interested. Also you will need a bigger carb cuz i believe the 20mph are 10.10 carb.

A good exhuast for the ciao is anything simonini there all top end though i thought my cirucuit would be good low and mid becuase of the way it looks like the proma circuit

It has good low and mid but it pulls hard at about 30mph so yeah. Do not get a polini pipe they are trash.

I love love love my proma

Thanks again.

I think you and I are going to have to keep in touch. I think they are probably one speeds.

they are one speeds for sure.

larger carb + some sort of pipe = gains!

ps, sorry for being late in the game.

Hey terry dean, Im troubleshooting my ciao right now, I bought it from mike, anything I should look to repair while Ive got the engine down and out to fix an air leak?

I'm resealing my crank case.

if you're splitting the case, throw in new bearings and seal, just to be safe! other than that, have fun yo.

IM running a 64 dr kit, 13.13 del, stock variator w/ clipped springs, performance crank, and my simo proline is on the way.

Course its got the bravo forks, and cafe bars mike threw on there, and it looks rad.

Im thinkin about ge gearing, and getting a smaller pulley.

Idk if I wanna variate it, I hear they're nothing but trouble.

My bikes gonna look something like the black ciao posted on here, except im gettin that shit powdercoated somethin crazy.

anyone know anything about wheels that fit on vespers?

vespa wheels fit on vespas, and that's about it. for the rear, anyway.. any old front wheel with an 11mm axle will fit on the front.

is this drunk mike's ciao? that's the only mike i can think of with a ciao.. if so, why'd he sell it? :(

cool toe fur threadkiller /

ciao top speed: infinity.

dean doesn't really know my name ian he just knows that i bother him or something.

Its already rebuilt dean. I think the problem is the case use some gasket maker on there. IF thats not it try the crank seal. Hope you get it going

oooh, for some reason i thought ian was local.. the only mike i know around here with a ciao is drunk mike.

yeah, this mike gave up on his ciao and went to puch! wuuuussss!

haha what ever dean. Shit is to small as it is

It seems like the info is harder to find. I'm curious what everyone's top speeds are with what gearing they have. I have a 64.5 malossi kit mazzu crank polini vario 100mm rear pulley and stock 12.25 gearing. I can get about 43 mph on the flats. Curious how much faster it would be for the 10.5 or 9 to 1 gear ratios.

i've pulled 56 out of the exact same setup single speed and with a top one pipe.

swapped to variated with polini, 95mm pulleys, stiff clutch springs and lightened shoes and 10.5:! gears and im hitting 53 now

Double Trouble Dan /

I have a bone stock 74 ciao deluxe that goes 25=27 .

The acceleration is not all that great either.

I have had a few others and they were all about the same.

Most had the 12mm carb.

They are nice grocery getters.

« Go to Topic — end of thread