Time to Change My Brake Pads? Please HELP!

Hi,

I have a Tomos A3GM, and recently my front brake has had barely any stopping power. Whenever I put on my brake lines it alternates it sound between quiet, and a grinding sound. If I only use my front brake to stop, the bike will not stop let's say. When I took off my wheel and opened it up, the brake pad still looked like it had a lot of life, however it felt incredibly smooth, so I don't think the friction is there that it needs to stop. Do I need new brakes? I even took them out, cleaned them, and re-installed them, but it didn't help. My brakes still barely function at all. I am willing to spend the $20 to get new brake pads, I just want to know if that is what I need.

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris

Re: Time to Change My Brake Pads? Please HELP!

u should be able to adjust them so they hit unless they are like my front brakes ground to nothing then you need new ones

I took my wheel off three times and readjusted them each time until the brake pads were totally touching, and even when they do touch the inside of the hub, they don't hold firm and the wheel can still spin when they should be breaking strongly.

then idk wear an old pair of shoes when u ride

That's not what I am asking, I am wondering if that means by brake pads no longer have enough scoring to create friction to stop, if that is the case, I will buy new brake pads, I just want do to know if that is the problem. When I push my finger across the surface of the brake-pads, they feel incredibly smooth.

Just had my brakes off, mine are smooth. Adjust the cable where it attaches to the hub, there should be a spring with a nut. tighten the nut and it makes the cable more taught

I use brake cleaner on the hub and on the pads then scuff the pads with some coarse grit sandpaper, like #160 or something like that.

Sand or lightly file your brake pads to remove the smooth glaze (don't inhale the dust!). Clean the pads and the drums with brake cleaner. If your drums are worn out it might help to file down the edges of the pads (the short side edges, not the long edge that faces towards the center of the drum), to make more of the pad touch the hub.

What happens if you inhale that stuff?

ermm 2 metal things that rub against each other going really fast should NOT be terribly rough feeling.

I think you'll get lung cancer.

Edward Richardson /

Original brake shoes might have asphestos, inhaling the dust can contribute to cancer.

The brake shoes surface is not made of metal but instead an organic brake compound if they were made after the early 80's. The glaze on yours will allow for less braking and should be removed.

nothing good!

yepers my motobecane I think has this prob, it is a 77 50v and the brakes are not what they should be, they work but...they should be better, by hobbit will skid the rear wheel and stall the engine if I get on it hard enough, Motobecane stops but not how I wish it would, I had one back in the day when I was 15 and I put over 8,000 miles on it (really) and the brakes were fine, needed adjusting occasionally but always worked fine. I think you have glazing on your shoes/drums, rough it up with some sandpaper and see if that helps! Brakes are nothing to fuck around with spend the 20.00 for the shoes, but rough up the inside of the drum so they will matter. Mopeds are like any other motorvehicle, they are designd to be used not stored ofr left outside for years, glazing is a normal enough prob. get new pads and rough up your drums, you will be pleasently supprised! Best of luck always!

friction is what you need my friend smooth will not stop you! see my above posting! Be safe!

do what deezy does, duh.

also sand the drums to remove the glaze from their surface as well.

Yep!

The factories do not pay a lot of attention to the internal dimensions of the brake drums.

Check this:

When the brakes adjusted until they are just free from contact, pull on the brake lever as if you are making a major stop. Take a look at the brake arm in relation to the brake input shaft. Imagine if the brake input shaft is at the very top of the backing plate (or at 0 degrees on a circle). If when the brakes are fully applied the brake arm is at or approaching 90 degrees, then you can squeeze the brake lever all day and you will get no additional pressure on the shoes to the drum.

If there is still meat on the shoes, make some U shaped shims out of a tin can (not aluminum) to go over the ends of the brake shoes where the end of the shoes contact the brake cam. This should re-establish your brake torque-ability.

BryAn eurism /

I tried that with a 24oz. Rockstar can, lasted 10 seconds. Pisser too since TOMOS pads get worn down & still have tons of meat left.

If people like Sh*w can use belt leather for clutches why wouldn't it work for brakes too?

« Go to Topic — end of thread