Inside the flywheel?????

Alright inside the fly wheel (I don't know the name of that part)…...there is a wire that goes from one side over/under the bolt that the flywheel locks on to to the other side maybe 2-3 inches long. I believe it is the wire that sends the signal to the spark plug as to when to fire. I am having a problem with it fraying and grounding out. I have "fixed" it 4 times but tape, shrinkwrap tubes keep melting. What can I do to fix this? Is there something high heat resistant that I can wrap around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Inside the flywheel?????

Umm, electrical tape??

Used it, it melted off.

Can you relocate the wire away from the heat source that is melting it?

Otherwise you might have to find some of that woven fiberglass tube stuff. It looks like a small edition of those old Chinese finger 'cuffs.

I don't know where to get it though.

It is a fixed wire. I have tried to move it the best I can without taking it apart, maybe I just need to rip it off and replace it. Just looking for ideas before I do any damage. This just seems like an odd issue or a bad design in my mind.

I once had a roll of high heat duct tape... don't remember how hot exactly it could withstand though, but might be worth checkin out your nearest tape dealership.

nice looking bike! maybe some high temp solder? I have never owned a tomos before so I don't know much about them, but upon gazing on yours I would buy one like that though!

It can't be anything that will conduct hence the grounding out part. I am sure there is something out there, just checking if someone out there had a similar issue.

Jason Luther /

anytime i had a melting wire issue, the wire was touching something metal, thus conducting the heat. So the obvious question is "is there an air gap between them"? if you really dont want to run a new wire, put a piece of cardboard or something in there

So if you wrap the wire with tape or heatshrink, then put some of this insulation sheeting between that and the heat source: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100012574&N=10000003+90034+503272+1643

That might work.

All good ideas thanks guys. Been looking online for heat resistant tape. Now I gotta find a flywheel puller. As long as I know what the problem is it's not that big "o" deal just want to be able to actually complete a ride and not break down half way through.

Inside the flywheel?????

up

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account