My great finds of the year

I belong to the local freecycle group in my area and someone was giving away a mototbecane moped. Of course I answer as soon as I see the ad, but it's over an hour old. Oh well I'm thinking. 2 days later they write me telling me to come get it under their deck at the back of their house. They said it hadn't been moved in several years, and they weren't kidding. It was half way under the deck and buried in ivy. What a pile this is going to be thinking to myself. It takes me 5 minutes to pull enough ivy off so I can pull it out. First thing I check is to see if the motor is locked. I can't believe it the motor is as smooth as glass. No bearing noise. The rear wheel won't move which appeard to be the rusty chain causing that which it was. They told me they couldn't locate some cable for it so it sat for years. It wound up being the rear brake cable was broken. I all ready got her running but I have to set the timing. She should clean up pretty nice. BTW, it's a 1976 Motobecane 50V with 1300 miles on it and the speedo works.

My second find I answered a week old ad on CL for a sears moped for $65. He tells me the frame & tires are good but the motor has no spark. I go last night to check it out and delighted to see it's not a sears, but a JCPenny Swinger. The frame is good and so are the rims/tires, but the motor has broken fins, and other broken items on the motor.. No big deal there. I have 2 other e50 motors.

I hope to post pics of the soon.

Re: My great finds of the year

damn you!!!

My great finds of the year

Nice!

I've been on the hunt for something cheap to fix up for a friend but I'm too late to the game each time!

Sweet deal, I love finding a diamond in the rough like that.

wow, you have excellent finds!

i wish i had your finds!

you booger! :D

buh bye

super cool on the 50v find motobecane engines do not usually lock up unless water gets into the cylender they have chrome lined cylenders! Use 4 oz of good quality oil to one gallon of fuel and she will run forever!

4oz to a gallon? Isn't that like 32 to 1? I thought it took a leaner mixture.

Pics of My great finds of the year

Here are a couple of pics of the mopeds. I have both covers for the motobecane, but none for the JCPenny Swinger

1212266944_dscf0488.jpg

Re: Pics of My great finds of the year

Here is the other one

1212267026_dscf0486.jpg

hardtail swinger no less. very cool find.

OMFG I didn't even notice that. LMAO!!!

Statutory. I got a deal on a 1980 maxi-luxe the other day and just got it running.

that rigid swinger is awesome. how rare are those?

selling anything Chas?

Looking for some new project peds.

BTW, I responded to the yellow moby too. I knew you were the "other" guy and let you have it.

Not selling anything at the moment. The JCPenny is probably going to be a keeper.

You belong to Annapolis's Freecycle Andy?? That's where I bot the moby from.

Chas

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account