Can I use mercon 3 atf in my puch?

It's what I got in my garage, and if it will work I'd rather use it than go out and buy type F. If it really needs type F, I'll go buy it. So dexron mercon 3 or type F, are they more or less interchangeable?

Re: Can I use mercon 3 atf in my puch?

i heard mercon eats up the the clutches. maybe that was just tomos clutches, though. do puchs use cork clutches?

Can I use mercon 3 atf in my puch?

It has detergents in it that don't really like the clutches and seals. You can use it in a pinch, but type f is like $3 at the gas station.

Word, by the time someone replied to this I was like already on my way to get a bottle of type F. Thanks, good to know.

Dexron 111 Mercon is type A and Tomos recommends it for its A35 engine. Ford makes Type F and Ford says on its website don't use it in newer transmissions which require type A. Enter a web search, read a Tomos manual, and see for yourself. The Italian Sports Car mechanic I bought my Tomos off says it's okay to use 10W30 in the A35 gearbox, but I follow the Tomos book.

i just put dextron in my puch and it sucks the clutch slips

Zack Rineer /

SAE 30 weight non detergent is ok too, from what I heard...

It can be purchased at Napa.

SAE 30 works good. in tomos and puch alike.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account