If you forget and left your petcock 'on' ...

for a week, with a full tank of gas, what would be the short-term and long-term effects on your ped?

Re: If you forget and left your petcock 'on' ...

If everything is in good order it would do nothing. But if you float/needle leaks or some other sort of problem like that, your $4 could empty itself onto the floor.

you'd be lower on gas than you would have been if you hadnt left it on cause the stuff in the carb would evaporate and then it would get refilled. Pretty much it.

If your carb funtions properly, nothing. Otherwise, possibly fuel leakage.

you'd have less gas than when you left it sitting, and may or may not need to clean the carb, depending on how airtight everything is and some other factors. a week isnt too bad, generally, as long as you've got an airbox on the carb.

Should be nothing, unless your carb float valve leaks, then you gas will drain out all over the place. I leave the petcocks on my Sprint and Newport on all the time. Over a really long time, it could gum up your carburetor, because gas is constantly evaporating from the float bowl through the float bowl vent, and leaving the petcock on all the time allows the carb to stay full while this evaporation is going on. Peace. Jerry.

I have a UNI foam filter on the carb, so I might have a puddle in my garage when I get back from vacation, eh? Maybe I should call my neighbor and get him to turn it off.

Unless your going on a really long vacation, or your carb float valve leaks, it will be fine. Unless you left it parked next to a gas water heater or something. Peace. Jerry.

I leave it on almost all the time, thanks to the delortos great sealing capabilities!

OK. I called my neighbor just to be safe and gave him the code to my garage...

Moped was not leaking... BUT.. he pulled it out of my cramped garage to find the petcock .... and THEN it started leaking. A couple ounces he said. It stopped soon after he turned the petcock to off.

So does this mean my float valve is leaky or did it just slosh out of my open foam air filter?

Vimy Ridgeway /

I've had a Grande for 8 years and if I leave the petcock open overnight, I get a little fuel dripping out the head gasket and down the pipe. I just don't do it.

fa 50s some how don't leak at all even if u unplug the gas line the petcock doesn't have an off just primer reserve and on

so its fine

NIe to meet you zeke at KZoo. I was the guy who helped you find screwdriver heads in the dark. Next time, bring a magnet. a big magnet. I hope you had a good time.

Stoops.

if i did it i would have no gas in my tank and alot of gas on the floor

if you did in fact have a leak, wouldn't you end up with a float bowl full of 2-stroke oil? that gas would evap, but would the oil?

I've rarely shut off the petcocks on an of my mopeds. And I've left them sitting for months at a time.

I've got one that kind of leaks if I don't shut it off, so I'll sometimes shut that one off. But almost never.

_wal

not much at all..and you took care of it

peace

michael

Vacuum operated fuel valve.

« Go to Topic — end of thread