machinist price gouging

I go to the local machinist to remove the sheared bolt from a hobbit cylinder, nothing mangled or busted it's just sheared...the charge? $100. Goddamned extortion artists, I wonder what they'll charge for milling a cylinder head or boring an intake pipe? I can't believe the enormity of this sin, the kit brand new WITH the piston was like $155. This is why I hate going to get service like this done, no flat rate for work done means they can charge up the roof or keep your shit and I'm contemplating letting them keep the damned thing and going back to stock bore. fak

Re: machinist price gouging

They probably charge a one hour minumum on jobs. $100 is high but not unreasonable for machinist time.

I remember Smitty charged me a whole $55 for shaving a cylinder head, boring out an intake pipe, then porting the cylinder...a whole lot more work than what this other dude did. omg i'm boiling mad, it just ruined my whole week

You can totally buy a drill attachment for 5 bucks that would have removed it dude...

machinist price gouging

Didn't you get a quote or estimate first?

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

It stinks for sure, but that's just how it goes with paying the pros to do work for ya.

Sounds like Smitty hooked you up, too...

Don't let it ruin your week, just learn from the experience, and see if you can do the work yourself, or have a friend who might be able to do it.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

+ And next time see if you can....

Left that part out.

Nah I didn't get a price quote he said that he would check it out to see IF he could do the job, he had no idea what it was he was working on. But I feel better about it now that I've blown some steam off, I didn't know about that GrabIt tool selling for $20+shipping that sounds like a deal! Sigh, and I was going to use the next $100 that came into my hands to buy a tecno boss, so much for that now ahaha

that sucks dude, we have all been there and done this.

here's what i do, and what you might try in the future for any kinda stuff like this.

I broke a bolt off in a brand new nos sachs head and it was way down inside and way beyond my ability to get it out. I tried a whole ton of machinists and they wanted to do an expensive excavation, heliarch it , and retap it for 100 -150 dolllars. no way.

So i thought "who breaks studs all day and is good at fixing them" and went down to the local european motorcycle shop and asked to speak to the mechanic. I said "hey i did something reallly dumb but i bet you know how to fix this. This is only worth 50 buck and everybody wants to charge me more then its worth to fix it, what can YOU do? I cant spend more then 30 bucks on it."

he said he's take a look at it and call me...

After lunch he called me and left a messagae saying my "little head" was ready for 20 bucks and to come get it.

he re drilled and tapped it right, and gave me allen screws so it wouldnt happen again.

Price gouging

So last week the battery came in for the Bravo I'm working on, but it came dry. I call all the auto stores, home depot and lowes. Lowes had a gallon of acid for about 16 bucks, I don't need a gallon - I needed a couple mouths full - that's all.

So I start with the local mechanics and garages around where I live. Nobody had any acid. So I go to a gas station/garage and ask the mechanic if he had any acid and what would he charge to fill a small motorcycle battery. He told me he had acid and would charge me 30 bucks. WTF!!! The battery cost 25! I just walked away.

I go back a few days later with the battery in hand and he agrees to fill it, but for 15 bucks. I told him I could buy a gallon for 16, he said, go buy it. I told him I didn't need that much and wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it. Then I went into my spiel about being a local blue collar working stiff, bla, bla, bla. (I left out the accident and head injury stuff.)

He took the battery and began filling it, I said, so what is this going to cost, "NOTHING" he said in a haste and continued, "Everybody wants something for free."

Now I felt like a shitbag. Here's this guy all sweaty and covered in grease who'd probably been there since 6 a.m. He deserved compensation but not 15 fucking dollars for about 1 dollars worth of acid.

I'm gonna go by over the weekend while he's gone and ask the kid who pumps gas if the mechanic dude drinks beer and bring him a 7.50 six-pack of Harpoon on Monday morning.

Sound fair?

And oh, don't even ask me about what happened two weeks ago when I tried to get a tiny spot of welding done at a different shop.

Re: Price gouging

I went in to a motorcycle shop and they tried to charge me 25 bucks to break my tomo's chain. I talked him down to 5 bucks. I was like it takes 1 minute to do, and the tool only costs 15 bucks. are you seriously going to rape me like that. he was like ok 5 dollars. but he pocketed the money when he walked away too, so i don't know.

Similar job at the shop I use was $11.50

hey peter you need welding done come see me as long as its steel i can do it

hey what ever happened to Smitty he was a pretty cool guy

yeah i have a good friend that owns a machine shop he makes me anything i need but i have to wait until buisness is kind of slow but he does it of either $20 or a bucket of cookies or he will have me get him a meatball sub

then i have another friend that has a machine shop at his house he makes me parts too and most of the time wont let me pay anything he refuses the money

All auto parts stores around here carry battery acid. Cheap. Peace. Jerry.

Thanks Jay, I'll take you up on this. It's a 1/2 inch bead on a rear directional tube from a Bravo. Steel. Dude wanted 25 bucks to do it. I told him I could buy a 10' length of tubing, bend it, cut it and drill two holes in if for 9 bucks. He told me go fetch. Grrrr We'll hook up some time soon.

I want to introduce a new recruit, Anton. Good guy, goes to that school in Cambridge with all the ivy on it. He bought the Vespa from my physical therapist and I'm hooking it up for him. Nice machine but not very fast 25MPH is the most I can get from it right now, maybe you'll have some suggestions for him when you meet him and see the bike. It sat for a solid 25 years without being moved. Lots of carb cleaner, lots of witch piss, it now runs as smooth as a sewing machine.

Hey, you get that silencer back on the Honda? Man that thing was LOUD that day we went out. It's supposed to be crappy this weekend and I think I had 'permission' to take off with you guys and ride for a day.

o i love living at my dads hose with his collection of tools, all 10 years old. but they all work great. i stripped the same bolt u did. my dad was like heres the drill. I drilled it out found a thread maker (new i was shocked) found a random bolt got the threads off it put the threads in for that bolt and done works great except i forgot to put a locking washer on there.......

Machine/welding shops don't want to mess with itty bitty one off jobs, unless the customer is willing to pay. It was common for us to over quote/bid just in case of the job being a real bitch (You know, Murphy. Shit happens). Snap a tap off in a hole and your $100 job, including profit, just ended up costing the shop $200. Drills and taps are much harder to remove than any stud.

However, drilling and tapping is not hard. You just need to be careful. Make sure the tap is in line with the hole. That may seem like a real Duh, but most of the taps I have seen that have broken are because the tap got into a bind due to misalignment. They're hard, but quite brittle.

When you are tapping and the tap is advancing you need to stop and back out the tap 360 degrees to break the chip. Do this about every 2-3 turns and back out completely to clean the flutes of the tap of any chips. Keep doing this until you reach the bottom. It may seem to be more time consuming, but it's necessary if you want to prevent tap breakage.

Also, no cutting fluid is necessary for cast iron. An air hose is nice, but cast iron chips are nasty black. Picture grinding up pencil lead and then blowing it all over the place.

For Aluminum you really need fluid for Aluminum. Alumicut comes to mind.

Steel, general cutting fluid. Motor oil will work, but it's not ideal and can be rather funky if using a power drill or press. But, then again, most cutting fluids are pretty nasty. The place with "The wealthy Hardware Man" will have it.

Sorry about rambling on. I was a machinist/welder in my previous life and figured a few tips might be helpful.

hey anytime you need stuff welded just bring it here and il take care of ya

nope didnt put the baffle back on the honda cause im getting rid of it anyway

giving it and $100 to my friend for his 1988 ford ranger

It cost me $40 for milling a sprocket to fit my v1. Its freakin extortion.

Edward Richardson /

These Machinists are good and rare folks to know. Their machinery costs a mint and their knowledge came at a great deal of effort or cost. I once had to chase down some unobtainium called Babbit Metal, all of the people I talked to got all confused and crosseyed until I found a machinist out in the boonies that not only knew what I was talking about but had some that he was willing to sell. They just aren't making machinists around here any more, when I pay one I always try to filch a little education out of the encounter as a bonus.

i realize most mopeders live on a meager budget, but most machine shops have to bust their asses constantly to make any buck at all. stopping an entire motor build to do one small project (which is may more time consuming than any of you realize) is incredibly distracting. it breaks the flow of work, and can lead to mistakes, which is all lost money. its not the fact that the bit costs x and it takes y time. there is an overall larger impact on the shops production as a whole. some people will be nice if they are slow, or are a smaller shop and will divide their labor rate into whatever time it actually takes to do the work. but most any major shop isnt going to halt production on a 6000 dollar job and risk potentially losing the job altogether if something goes wrong, for a miesly 5-10 dollars, because after the cost of the tools, the cost of the laborers, and the cost of utilities, thats all they might stand to make.

What you said.

Actaully, it's best to find an older home shop machinist in this case. Preferably one who stood in a machineshop most of thier lives, is retired and is into model steam engines. Those are the guys who will slide you slivers of tips and tricks that will be useful to you later on. Most of the old guys will be more than happy to teach, you just have to want to learn.

Better hurry though, the old guys are dying off, literally. Most true all around, manual machine operators are becoming a thing of the past. A lot of machine operators are just that, operators. Load and push start. NOTE, I said a lot, not all. I know really good young machinists. It just takes 10-15yrs to become a master and by that time, your one of the old guys, HA HA.

Hey Rockinmoped, $40 for a milling job is great. Unless they just drilled a hole. But, if they milled the whole thing out for you and popped the bolt hole pattern for you, you got a deal. Most shops won't even start a job for less than that.

Edward, what the heck were you needing Babbit for? Refinishing an old machine's bearings?

The shop I went to, Nesbitt Engineering, has been in business since 1946 and they generate $1.5 - $5million per year (so says Ontario business records) and operate with 12 employees. It's definitely a small company but inexperienced AND poor-earning they are not. The disappointing part for me is that I've finally found some people to do these kind of unusual jobs but now I see they charge through the roof I can't go there too much anymore if at all. As soon as I walked in I was like shit these guys can hydroform me some exhaust pipes, bore my carbs, heck weld me a frame...but after this, I just can't.

Scott Maslowski /

And if you get a good person or shop to help you be sure to remember them. I used to have a machine shop here that would grind lawnmower valves and even loan me some tools,free. And every 6 months or so i would show up in the morning with a dozen fresh bakery donuts. They remembered me and I remembered them. Scott

$50 setup $50 per hour rounded up. they're expensive, that's why i decided to return my 80cc malossi kit for grande, and get the 64, no boring out of case necessary. otherwise i probably woulda just gone for the malossi case but that's like 150 or something.

jafar, thats EXACTLY the sort of shop i was referring to in my post. why spend an hour on cheap stuff for 20 bux and someone who doesnt appreciate it when they can spend 100 on someone dropping a lot more money. their earnings prove their business model; efficiency. and to have 12 employees as a machine shop means you are doing incredibly well. most shops arent more than a handful, if theyre even more than the owner and another set of hands or 2.

drill and a set of bolt-outs duder..

hey just so you know, machine shops cost a lot to run, I took a wheel bearing into a shop to have it pressed in, and they charged me like 40 dollars, now that seems excessive excepth the car shaop where i went first wanted 150.00 for the same service and they would have sent it to the same place! machine shops employ very talented people and aquire very expensive machines, presses etc pay your money and be happy that there is someone who can do your work! if you no longer want your honda lets talk!