define moped for fastest moped

how do u define moped when u start racing cuz tommy hit 70 (mad respect for any body willing to go that fast on a moped frame) on a engine that was what 110cc off of another bike if i remember correctly then on the single speed subject ZA-50s, Tomos engines Moby variators all are more than one speed it seems like its all an ocean of gray with diffrent style frames off limits like the cub or a Vespa

what r the rules

Re: define moped for fastest moped

im pretty sure it was an 80cc kit...

wow i remembered way off never trust my memory k still 80 cc thats not bad what if i got a c-70 engine probably honed out to 75-90cc does it count if i smoke 70. no i probably won't ever even touch 70. but i will dream so what are the rules

here is what i can think of

start with small cc bike

vintage and/or pedals (pedals can be removed)

thats it want to add to that

his magnum setup was:

80metra

24mikuni flat slide

simonini

latebird wings

thats just what i heard

latebird wings

i need soe of those if i am going to even touch 70

My opinion is that when it comes to racing mopeds it should have a bottom end/transmission that originally came on a moped with pedals or was designed for a bike with pedals(aftermarket cases), had a displacement of no more than 50cc from the factory and has an automatic transmission. It all really doesn't matter though, most types of racing have no classes specifically for mopeds so they end up with the 50cc motorcycles, or 100cc motorcycles.

Moped: moped body, moped engine. You know it when you see it.

Somebody on another moped forum had this definition. Must have a stock, or modified stock production moped frame, must have a production based engine, brand of engine and frame must be the same, cases must be stock or modified stock, no manual transmission, must have functional pedals, (after all, it's not a moped without pedals), must have headlight and tail light, although these do not need to be stock, you can use clip on bicycle lights. Can have any type of wheels or tires, exhaust, seat, bars, does not need fenders or mirrors, can be based on either a top tank or stepthrough. This seems like a pretty good set of rules to me. Peace. Jerry.

If I take the pedals off my motobecane, what does it magically become? A pony? A dinosaur? A jet plane?

Oh, no, wait, it's a moped with it's pedals taken off. Still a moped.

Not going to argue, but IMO, that would convert it to a noped. You would get ticketed for it in my state if a cop caught you with no pedals and a moped plate. Peace. Jerry.

the fastest bike at kalamazoo hands down was a 50cc tomos a55 engine. wrap your head around that!

no big bore cheaters.

Well, in MI a honda spree is a "moped" so i think I will go with my own judgement rather than the "man's".

the fastest moped is any moped that shaw builds. period. by any definition you'd care to use.

ok then a fast small cc bike it is i don't care what its called but its gonna be fast.

I head he was powered by freedom...

i know! in indiana when the cops said "you hit a moped" i was like

"a moped!?, like with pedals? No Way!"

Moped bottom end. done and done.

"Not going to argue, but IMO, that would convert it to a noped. You would get ticketed for it in my state if a cop caught you with no pedals and a moped plate. Peace. Jerry."

technically true^^ lol i'm glad i don't live in ur state haha like cops know what a noped and moped are lolz.

IMO unspoken rules are as follows:

I think it should have a moped bottomend, no small scoot or motorcycle motors attached even if they r 50cc. the frame should be a moped frame.. but custom frames are ok (aka romeo thunderhawk etc.) looks like other mopeds in general

as for pedals i think it should have come with them originally at least unless its like a fa50 or a dinky noped, who is gonna say they can't be in the mix they are exactly the same as far as motors and speed but without pedals and they r not scooters.

gears.. if the moped came with gears even a shifter (i.e. sachs 2 speed) fine or a variator thats ok too, these both have as many drawbacks as they are any advantage in the moped world. there is a reason the fastest bikes are almost always 1 speeds. no multi geared motors from non mopeds tho. non usa euro models are ok but they should have pedals thru the crankcase if they are over 2 gears...basically call em how u see em.

it can't be a "pocketbike" (too small to sit on), YSR/mini bike (mini motorcycle many gears and clutch), go-ped (stand or sit realy high off a floorboard, tiny wheels), motorcycle/dirtbike (many gears and clutch, no pedals), or scooter (well if u don't know the difference between a moped and a scooter..ha)

O yeah not a honda cub..passport (the #1 selling bike in the world deserves its own classification)

when u see it its a moped by general consensus of other moped riders. ex. i would consider a moped frame with a honda cub 90 motor on it not a moped, and the same ped with a 3 speed minerelli moped motor from Italy and an 90 minerelli kit a moped. even if the latter could spank the cub motor.

all this can be summed up when any experienced tuner takes one glance at a ped it's alot harder to put it into words.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account