newb question: What is soft seizing?

How do you know if you have "soft seized" the motor.

Re: newb question: What is soft seizing?

thud and it dies then the piston moves up and down later

Your motor goes ziiiiiinnnnnnnggggggggCLINK and your rear wheel locks up, and you stop. What makes it a soft seize is that you're able to break it free and start it again after that seizure.

toe fur threadkiller /

fuckin' targaped. where'd he ever go? he was entertaining, as long as i imagined him as a bad sketch comedy and not let the thought enter my head that he might be real....

harold is a fuckin' genius. i loves that guy.

Everyone thought you were he.

A "soft seize" is a very mild engine seizure, where the piston seizes in the cylinder just long enough to stop the motor. The motor will usually restart immediately after a soft seize. A soft seize can be cause by many reasons, including overheating for any reason, mixture to lean, timing off, new engine or kit not properly broken in, and a lack of lubrication. I had 2 soft seizes due to the failure of a Tomos oil injection system on a brand new moped. I ripped that thing off, and that moped now has over 14,000 trouble free miles on it. A soft seize rarely cause any damage, unless it continues to happen. However, anything that can cause a soft seize can also cause a "hard" seize, which destroys both the piston and the cylinder. From what I can tell, the 2 most common causes of engine seizure is improper installation, break in, or jetting of aftermarket kits, and Tomos oil injection system failure, not necesarily in that order. If you think your engine has soft seized, do not ride it any more until you determine the cause. If you have a Tomos with an oil injection system, the first thing you should do is get rid of the injection system, and premix your fuel at 40:1. That eliminates lack of lubrication as a possible cause, which is the most likely thing on a stock or near stock bike. Peace. Jerry.

Thanks everyone for your help. Im still learning about these mopeds and the terminology. I havent soft seized it at all. I was just wondering what the hell it meant and how you determine if it happened. Thanks again Jerry

wow, so i soft-seized my MB5 one time....that's scary....

mine went something like this:

52 mph WOT

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeouuu CLUNK.

but it started right back up. i went easy on it for the rest of the trip.

Before you seize, is there any sort of warning that would allow you to kill the engine before it happened?

« Go to Topic — end of thread