NYS - DMV woes continue (insurance now)

So, I called NYS DMV to sort out my ATV/wrong make issue. They told me I have to bring the moped down there (good thing I have a van since it's now street illegal with my ATV registration). But he also informed me that for a class B moped, I need to get insurance.

I contacted Geico, whom I've had insurance with for over 5 years for my cars, and was told they do not insure anything with less than 50cc's. IE, mopeds.

Any insurance recommendations? I need to get insurance before I can go to the DMV to get the registration sorted out.

Re: NYS - DMV woes continue (insurance now)

spork Guarnierius /

Try Progressive. I use them in NY for my peds. It was about $70 a year for the first one.

Is it already in the system as a class B? I avoid insurance by telling them my bikes don't exceed 20mph therefore putting them in the C class.

Unfortunately some retard registered it as brand "MAJ" and as an ATV. So since that's what was on my transferrable reg, that's what's in there. Since I need to bring it there to get "MAJ" changed to "SACHS" and prove it's not an ATV, they will see it's also a Class B.

My roomie managed to get hers as Class C, even though technically hers is also class b because it was already registered that way...

Yes, Progessive great i had them for full coverage of every one of my mopeds (besides the one i bought two days ago) 150 dollars for a 87 trac sprint and a 91 tomos sprint. Thats full coverage. which sounded pretty good for an Annual 150.

-Mary

geico doesn't insure anything with pedals. they did insure my qt50, but when i tried to insure my puch they said no on account of the pedals. i insured the puch with progressive, and also got a quote for the qt50 as well. progressive is cheaper.

NYS - DMV woes continue (insurance now)

thanks for the info. everyone. i went with progressive. $106, but i bought full coverage and marked the value of my moped on the high side, people drive like morons here so i want to be sure i can replace it if damaged.

hey, the dmv has a database of mopeds with their speed ratings and alot of times you can get it registered as a class C regardless of how fast it actualy goes. for instance, in 1977 there was a 1HP, 1.5HP and 2HP puch maxi they did 20mph, 25mph and 30mph.

the 1.5hp and 2hp are class B bikes, but because there was also a class C bike made that year 1hp, you can usualy claim that yours is that model. The speed rating is not linked to the vin number in any way. you just need to find out if sachs manufactured a 20mph moped in 1978, regardless of the model type.

Too late. :-) Already bought the insurance...

also try sentry insurance

YAY!! doesnt that feel good... now if someone breaks your moped you can get a new one!!

Are you sure that it is a Sachs moped and not a moped of another brand with just a Sachs engine?

Look at my profile for a pic of my moped. Then look at the photo database for other 1978 balboas. Then tell me. ;-)

Everything is stamped Hercules/Sachs, it is 1000000000% a Sachs moped. Someone is just a moron along the way of ownership of this thing and got it registered wrong.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account