Kalamazoo Weekly Newspaper

Hello everyone,

I am a reporter with the Kalamazoo Weekly Newspaper and am interested in doing a feature story about the Moped Army.

Does anyone have the phone number and/or email of someone who I can interview, preferably someone who has been with the group since it began? Thanks for your help!

This coulda been cool about one week ago.

Re: Kalamazoo Weekly Newspaper

Well, with the high gas prices it still is newsworthy because people are seeking alternative forms of transportation.

Amy,

To be honest, you probably won't get a bite on this one. Most of the moped gangs don't really talk to the media. What we do as mopedders isn't usually portrayed correctly. There are very few people here that buy these old 70's style pedal mopeds for gas purposes. Most of us could care less about the gas saving qualities of a moped. It's a nice benefit but not the reason people here buy them. If it was solely about gas, I wouldn't own 20 of them. It's about taking a forgotten mode of transportation and making it ride like new. It's about riding with a group of people that share the same passion as you. It ain't about gas prices.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Anyone have Dan's number at Warbucks? Jim

hello!

most of the people that have been in the group since it began have moved away.

simon is still around

dan kastner moved to california about a year ago. both are still on the website.

as for the group still in town, we're still around. i would contact daveb@mopedarmy.com as he is our current "leader".

actually, you're semi-wrong about the decepticons speaking with the media.

the decepticons have spoken to the media numerous times and our bbq is usually covered by channel 3 news here in town. when dave b was hit, the newspaper covered it. we were also in the gazette for an article on gas prices, the culture, etc. dan and simon have been in at least one magazine that i can recall.

i also seem to recall the chicago and some other branches have also spoken to media before as well.

hey Charna did you forget that I have been around since and before the group started here in Kzoo?

i did not. i mentioned it in the email i just shot her.

much <3 to you, chad burke!

1-800-965-1977 ask for Dan

773-235-1981 ask for Patrick

thanks.

I've been involved since August.... I'll talk to a reporter. :)

Bry, do not speak for people which whom you do not represent.

i don't think we need to get hostile...

Mike, I didn't speak for anyone but myself. I never claimed to be a Decepticon and from what I've read most of the groups _don't_ talk to the media. I didn't think she'd get a bite, but obviously the Dcons have no problem with the media. Good for her and the story. No skin off my back.

I still stand by the rest of my post stating that these stories focus on the wrong thing - gas mileage. I can't wait for Kzoo next year when all these middle-aged women show up looking for something to go the grocery store on because they heard they get great gas mileage. Does that really further the moped cause? At Kzoo this year, I don't recall one person asking another how many MPG's they got or seeing someone take it easy to conserve gas. That's my only beef with this story and she said that was the reason that this was "news." Hence, my response.

who cares?

Me, I'm retired, technically but still active nationally. I live with the current captain. Shoot me an email and I can give you some numbers!!

Way to bogart our media attention moped shop!!! Maybe other people in Kzoo want to be in the news? Eh eh??? :)

I love the media. I do interviews.

no doubt, i assume they want to talk to kalamazooians not people who did live in kalamazoo at one time and rode mopeds... i mean, i could be wrong, but she's writing for a paper called, "the kalamazoo weekly." Odds are she wants a hometown perspective.

My concern is that, with the approach coming right after the Kzoo rally, there may be a hidden agenda in the reporter's story. Be careful in case of ambush and, if you smell a rat, bail.

It could be as simple as this: "So the police say they keep giving out more and more tickets at the KZoo rallies each year, and the rallies have become a public nuisance that they may have to curtail. Care to comment?"

nah, im actually familiar with the Kalamazoo Weekly News. It's free and often highlights practical information for the non-savvy public. This should be a great article.

i agree.

i don't know why people are getting up in arms about the story.

also, i doubt middle aged women will show up on mopeds to the rally next year. so i don't see any harm in talking to media. except for mtv.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

From the archives. You decide. Jim

http://www.mopedarmy.com/main/newsarchive/355/

Ah, I forgot about that article. It did give me a good laugh.

_From the archives. You decide. Jim

http://www.mopedarmy.com/main/newsarchive/355/_

for the record, that was printed in the Western Michigan University Harold in the EDITORIAL section.

hi Amy

if you like you could come to one of our meetings and get a couple of perspectives on mopeds and mopeds in kalamazoo. we plan on having another branch rather than national BBQ this sunday. if you're interested shoot me an email. daveb@mopedarmy.com. we'll feed you burgers and dogs.

hot dogs, like the tubed meat, not the furry cute animal :)

Yawn.

BTW, my yawn was in response to another one of Davey's stupid monologues which has since been removed.

I forgot about that Herald article, I wouldn't say it's representative of the media coverage the Moped Army gets.

I used to write for the Herald, they have a long history of dumb editorials.

yeah i'd forgotten about that article as well.

i remember all sorts of people being pissed and how much hate mail that poor guy received.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account