pronuncition

i just got a puch maxi and i have a sachs balboa.

does anyone know the correct way to pronounce the names of these mopeds?

just currious.

Re: pronuncition

puch sounds like took

sachs sounds like tsocks or socks

'Puch Maxi' sounds like 'pook max-y'

'Sachs Balboa sounds like 'saks "rocky" balboa'

I say it same way trux explained. It is under much debate though. Potato. Potaaato.

bAl-BOW-Uh

So it's P-uu-k.

yeah. It is Socks, too...I speak a bit'o'German, and it's socks.

Push Sax

what about batavus? I own one and i'm not even sure...

I always said "buh-TAY-vus", but then when i bought it from Responsible Jon, i think he called it "BAT-uh-vus". The local mom-and-pop hardware store has a bicycle repair garage and the other day i stopped by to show off my ride, he called it a "buh-TAH-vus", and said that's how the Bat dealers said it back in the 70's when they would come by trying to get him to be a dealer.

oh, and also: the other day a Dwarf yelled "YO! Buh-TAAAAAAY-VEE-us!" at me.

bah-tah-voos

Vimy Ridgeway /

Dingbats and Nate's back.

my original reasoning was that puch was the itialian word for dog and it was therefor pronounced pooch. wrong on several levels but i say it like pookie bear now.

Puch is German, though?

Technically Austrian, I guess. Til the next Anschluss, anyway

whoa you are dumb.

Yep..those few German words are about all that fits in my head.

I believe the debate on Puch is whether it's "Pook" like "book" or "Pook" like "spook." My favorite method is to avoid saying it until whoever you're talking to says it, and then you just imitate them.

Perhaps we should give all the moped brands nicknames or gangsta names or something, just to simplify the matter.

Oh...it's definitely like book. German O's sound like book unless theyre umlauted; then they sound like spook.

German U's...whoops.

Puch sounds like spook, Luke, Duke, nuke. Sachs sounds like socks. Peace. Jerry.

Jerry, I know you know your stuff and I hate to argue with ya, but in this case I gotta disagree. The u in German zucker (sugar) is pronounced like took, ditto null (zero), ditto unter (down/under/etc). German U's only sound like zoo when they have the umlaut.

George Smith /

jawa is said ya-vah...which is the sound it makes when they run....That's why no one but me and vlad know how to say it :P

heh My next ped is getting there...later this week will be it's first ride mmm

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Socks 5th avenue. hehe Jim

Look at the ad that was made by Puch. Even they say it is pronounced like book.

i just got excited to tell my friends i have a socks engine.

puch=poo-k

sachs= sox.

i personally wouldnt be excited to tell my friends i bought a sachs engine unless it had a d-cylinder.

It doesn't matter. Any way you mangle the words, the people you're talking to will know what you mean.

I pronounce Batavus BAT-uh-Vus.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account