Night Riding - Reflectors?

Bradley Sanderson /

I do a lot of my riding at night in Las Vegas, NV. I have an eTon Beamer, and it already has the required minimum of reflectors and lights, plus an additional brake light. However, I'd like to make it more visible. I'm thinking about adding a second attachable headlight like for a bicycle, and more side and rear reflectors and/or battery operated running lights.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for reflectors or lights? Thanks

Re: Night Riding - Reflectors?

look to the east.

stick on reflectors are easy enough. if you really want to be visible though, you should probably look into one of those day-glo vests with reflective strips.

Bradley Sanderson /

A vest does seem best as they are quite visible, but I'd rather not wear one which I why I'm interested in making my ride more visible instead.

I've been reading through Nevada law on the subject and now have decided to add 2 red reflectors to the rear at least 15" from the ground. However, I'm still unsure about what else to add. I want it to be more visible at night but without raising undue suspicion from metro police as to the legality of these improvements.

Bradley Sanderson /

Has anyone here added reflectors or lighting to their ride? And if so, what did you add? Thanks

Search for glow in the dark paint. Someone here had posted a bunch of pics of their paint job which was done with some super glow paint that lasts for hours. The ped looked awsome.

I doubt you will draw any suspicion for improvements on visibility, especially in Vegas. Humm, come to think of it, the glow in the dark paint might be useless there. But, I dont think you can really over do reflectors, even up to the point of rediculous.

Russ

Reflective pinstriping is kind of low key and should help.

yeah ted in the puddle cutters has a glow in the dark bike. also you could use led lights.

ad them to your helmet

Bradley Sanderson /

I don't use a helmet. Just considering ways to illuminate my ride. Thanks

Night Riding - Reflectors?

No suggestions but a moped rally in Las Vegas would be the ultimate.

Bradley Sanderson /

I like the idea of using a battery operated LEDs.

I'm thinking an amber one on each side near the front and red ones on each side near the back. I'm fairly sure that's legal, but still don't know about putting them anywhere else.

Bradley Sanderson /

Sure, I'd go. It'd be like a pack of invaders clogging up the roadways.

Motorists out here are so clueless as to applicable laws. And the media is no help. Perhaps an organized effort in Vegas like that would help.

Bradley Sanderson /

I'm not really up to painting my ride.

Lights seem to do such a better job than reflectors, so I'm thinking more along those lines. Thanks

Bradley Sanderson /

I was thinking about pinstripe reflectors too, just because I think it looks neat. But now I'm leaning more toward adding a minimal amount of LED lighting for maximum effectiveness. I don't want to attract too much attention (police or thieves), but I do want to make it more visible to help motorists to take notice. Thanks

If you search on "Reflective Tape" on ebay, you'll find all sorts of colors, widths, shapes.. if you do decide to use that, get the 3M stuff. It's what's used on police cars and such.

Remember that with LEDs you can only see the light well when looking straight at them, but you could use them to throw light on the bike. If you wanted to go with batteries, do some quick research on the term "Throwies" . These are simple little thingies composed of a magnet, a small battery and an LED. The batteries can be had cheaply through Ebay, and Radio Shack sells a pack of 20 assorted for about $3.

The recommended batteries for throwies are CR2032. You just take the LED and tape it with one lead on each side of the battery and it lights up. You can do that and test out your lighting setup easily and cheaply.

The really good glow in the dark paint that lasts 12 hours is expensive, but you wouldn't need much of it. Would it throw off enough light? I have no idea. But all the information you'll need should be here - http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

http://www.clubthings.com/product1561.html

Better then reflectors, and cheeper!

Kuro Neko Neko

I'd go with LEDs

An eTon Beamer is a scooter, which is fine with me. Thanks for not calling it a moped. As to your problem, I absolutely hate reflectors. When I was a kid I took them off my bicycles, now I take them off my mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles. However, visability is a good idea, I just think those cheesy reflectors manufacturers stick everywhere look really, well, cheesy. I work for a city government, and got myself one of those really expensive well made reflective highway workers vests from them, and took one of my scratched up helmets, sanded it, and painted it reflective orange. This combination lights up like you wouldn't believe in car headlights, I can't imagine being more visible, and it's still temporary, and doesn't ruin the looks of my bikes. In the daytime, I can just wear regular clothes, and a white helmet. White is one of the most noticible colors in daylight. It's up to you, but your back and your head are what most people see, the bike is smaller and lower, and doesn't get as much attention. And you really should be wearing a helmet, day or night. I won't leave my driveway without one. Reflectors might help prevent you from being hit, but if you do crash, you need something to protect your head, if it is of any value to you. Peace. Jerry.

Bradley Sanderson /

You're right, Jerry. A helmet and a vest are obviously good ideas. I just would rather not be bothered and light up my ride instead.

Right now I'm considering a "Planet Bike Blinky Super Flash 1/2-Watt Blaze LED Plus 2 eXtreme LED Rear Bicycle Light" from Amazon.

it seems like you have already made a decision already. you answered every persons' suggestion with the idea of lighting up your ped with some kind of led lighting. Just get the damn thing already, will ya? geez

Bradley Sanderson /

I am always impressed by how helpful people are is in forums like this, some more than others of course. A couple ideas were even suggested that I had not considered or asked for. Like I initially posted, I'm asking for any recommendations or suggestions for reflectors or lights. And thanks for bumping my thread to the top.

Bradley Sanderson /

I really appreciate all the help offered so far. But I was hoping someone could answer my question, "Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for reflectors or lights?"

To clarify my question, has anyone here bought reflectors, reflector tape, or lights to add to their ride, and would care to recommend a specific one to me? The reason I ask is I realize some products work better than others and I would rather buy one that someone else has used to their satisfaction. Thanks again.

Bradley Sanderson /

Reflectors and lights... hard to imagine that being too difficult.

But then again, perhaps no one here has added reflectors or lights to their ride.

But if by chance any of you have, I would appreciate it if you would share with me the specific product(s) you found satisfactory.

Thanks

I got these (hope this works):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSXMME/

I like them for adding visibility, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for my sole form of light. Also, they're kind of hard to mount. I zip tied the clear one to my brake cables above my headlight, and it just fell off. I'm a little pissed about that. My rear one is .... well, hang on. I'll go take a picture.

It seems this might not be what your looking for but I will suggest it anyway. I heard of people buying the 6v or 12v computer neons and cutting the ends off and wiring them up to your electrical system then mounting them under their peds.

I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I guess you could mount them anywhere. I personaly have never done this and wouldnt do it for visiablity purposes more just for looks. oh well... good luck in the search

-Mary

I had to get that permit to park in the bike racks, but there was no way in hell I was going to put that nasty sticker on my moped. I put the sticker on a piece of ... dunno what it is. Might be floor tile or something. Then I clipped that to my rack, and clipped the light to the piece of whatever it is. That's a quarter I'm holding next to it, in case you're wondering.

I've also seen a moped with those little lights on the tires, like in the spokes or whatever. I thought it looked pretty cool, and it would certainly make you more visible.

Also, if you wanted to have some fun, you could get some of that reflective tape and cut designs or letters out of it and stick them on your helmet. Then it'd light up all pretty whenever someone's light hit your helmet.

Bradley Sanderson /

That does seem like it would look pretty cool. But really, the last thing I'm looking to do is add bling or flash value to my ride. I'm just looking for a minimalistic way of getting my ride noticed better by motorists at night. Thanks

Bradley Sanderson /

I like the size of that little light, pretty much what I've been considering for the back of my ride, maybe a couple of them. I'd want one that operates on AAA or AA batteries. Maybe Wal-Mart or K-Mart has them.