moped on plane?

Does anyone know if you can bring a moped on a plane? I've seen a few ebay auctions where they have under shipping quotes, plane ticket quotes. I was just curious because I may be making a trip somewhere and it would be cheaper to bring it along back home with me than to pay for it to be shipped.

Re: moped on plane?

Might be easiest to dismantle it and ship it as parts.

ah. just got an email back from delta. they said "Delta accepts only non-motorized, single seat, touring, or racing bicycles as baggage."

If you dismantle it and drain all the fluids you might be able to pack it in several boxes/suitcases and bring it onboard. But you can usually only bring two suitcases maximum of something like 50 or 60 lbs each, and of a limited size. So you'd probably have to pay for an extra bag if you are bringing more stuff. Also you might have to pay an overweight or oversize charge for one or more bags, and those charges are usually $50 each.

brought my engineless/tankless magnum on a jetblue flight without incident.

Prof. Monkey-For-A-Head /

It seemed to me that shipping by Greyhound was the easiest. Take off the pedals and front wheel, turn the fork sideways and pack it into a bicycle box. I've sent two mopeds like that before, and I think it was about 60-70 bucks each. I'm sure prices are much higher 4 years later.

Go to a Tomos dealer, tell them you would like a crate that a new Tomos moped came in, so you can ship a moped. These tend to be a bit stronger and sturdier than bicycle boxes. I have uncrated 2 Tomos mopeds, and it can be done without destroying the crate, though not as easily. You might have to pay them a few bucks to get a good crate. After 9-11, forget about getting anything that has ever has gas in it on a passenger plane. It has been done, but is more a matter of pure luck and the incompetency of airport screeners than anything else. Peace. Jerry.

just attach wings and a propeller to your ped...

problem solved!

What Vic said:

Take the engine off. They WILL find it...and you will be called over the loud speaker to have it taken home.

Take the wheels off....drop the handle bars, exhaust, fenders and pedals. One nice big bike box works.

I tried with the engine on there and got smoked.

Put the rest in boxes and ship them.

Well...I guess technically you could check the wheels and other stuff for free. You choice.

snakes on a plane?

I'm tired of the mother fucking mopeds on this mother fucking plane! haha

And There It Is! We Have A Winner! hehe it's still funny and always will be

« Go to Topic — end of thread