cops are dicks

yesterday i went out for a ride. i pulled out from my parking lot ans started on my way. i was going about 25mph when i flew by a cop next thin g i know he was pulling me ovr. he never did tell me y he pulled e over. but scince my sprint didn't have pedals he was under the impression that it is a motorcycle. and i had no plate it either. but he said that i need to get it registered and insured and i need to get a motorcycle lisence. and now i have to go to court over it and will end up pay more fines than my bike is worth.BULL SHIT then he told me if he see's me riding it without fixing anything e will have it impounded and held for thirty days. but i found a loophole in the law that states if you got pedals that function then the only thing you need is to get moped plates for it. so cops are dicks they don't know wat to do with us any body have any suggestions i live in san diego and need some back up would anyone like to rally to the court house with me and protest or make a statement?

Re: cops are dicks

You had no plate.

Stop playing the blame game; the cop was totally in the right.

IM baD for you is FEELLING!

Hmm. Abiding by the laws in your particular state is a nice way to not have cops be "dicks" to you

you do realize he was able to confiscate it one the spot dont ya?

I love it people get a break from a cop and they whine about cops being dicks

Maitland Of the Loin /

technically you need an m2, and technically insurance on a moped.

i always rock a moped plate anyways, they look at you less if youve got a plate. any plate.

cops are dicks

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Did he ticket you because your bike did not meet the California motorized bicycle description? Jim

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

About the second page down.

"i need to get it registered and insured and i need to get a motorcycle lisence. and now i have to go to court over it and will end up pay more fines than my bike is worth.BULL SHIT"

Your 23 take some responsibility for you actions. You were breaking the law suck it up pay the fine. You should be lucky that the cop was NOT a dick because he could have very easily taken your unregistered uninsured bike that you were driving with out a valid motorcycle license.

Your bike technically dose not fall into the "moped" category because it dose not have operational pedals, most cops will not catch that though but that is a risk you take. Go register your bike as a moped, get it insured and at lease get your self a motorcycle permit. You can convert the kickstart bike to a pedal start bike, you can pick up the parts needed to swap over at any tomos dealer. 1977 just did a conversion to an a55 so they probably have the part #'s you will need handy.

My state has the same law. To be a moped, it must have operational pedals, and you have to register it, and put a plate on it, and you also have to insure it. And to make sure you don't get away with anything, they require a level 1 inspection (to make sure the VIN matches the paperwork, and to make sure it has pedals). All 3 of mine meet the above requirements. I would have no problem with a noped though, it would have to be titled, registered, and plated as a motorcycle, but I have a motorcycle license, so that wouldn't be a big deal. I ride my mopeds in the bike lanes all the time, which is illegal by the book, but have never been stopped for it. If I do get a ticket for it someday, I can't blame the cop, they were just doing their job. I think that law is wrong, but as long as it's there, it's the cops job to inforce it. And there is not much chance of getting it changed, there are hundreds of thousands of spandex wearing bicycle riders in my state, but probably not over a couple of hundred moped riders. Peace. Jerry.

... and this is why pedals are better than pegs.

Tom Rainwater /

Technically in CA you have to have functioning pedals for it to be a moped.

Tomos with foot pegs don't qualify. Must have pedals, dowsn't saw they must go foward. :)

If it had been registered you might have had a case. I would get ready to pay.

i should have mentioned that it is registered and that my plate fell off.and yeah i got a break but the cop was being a dick.

yes i was in the wrong and i do plan on the convertion to pedals and i don't have to go to court tll the end of july so thats plenty of time to gather cash and fix my issues does anybody know anything about the test for an CA M2 on mopeds? is it easy? i know it's like $28 and i have to call aslo that the bike has t be registared and that you hae to mail it in and that it takes two weeks

Prof. Monkey-For-A-Head /

If I remember right from a few years back, for the M2 you just had to pass the written motorcycle test, which is easy. I just went all out and got the motorcycle license. Once you get it, you always have it. Anyone/Everyone can benefit from a Motorcycle Safety Course.

Yep, if you've got the $$$, MSF is the only way to go, even if you never plan to ride a real motorcycle. You learn a lot, and it's nice to be able to carry a full motorcycle license around in your pocket. Peace. Jerry.

I'v been pulled over so many fucking times the colonel of the ketucky state police told me if I was pulled over agian for riding, that I can file harassment charges.

Everybody move to Indiana. Our moped/motorcycle laws are downright Libertarian.

that was a clever ploy to try and get friends, im sure its lonely out there :) but i meet all my requirements :-P

John Hannibal Smith /

Like Ole Andrew Dice Clay always said if you want a cop you dont call 911 you call Dunkin Donuts.Good luck with that man I hear ya about cops being dicks.I dont like the ones in the county I live in nor the ones in town.Guess they have nothing better to do then harass people for absolutely nothing.Fucking jagoffs.Dude trust me if i could be there Id protest with you.

doesnt matter how small you break a law, if you get caught, deal with it. its not like he got pulled over for being totally legit, got harrassed because the cop didnt know what was up, and then gave him a ticket sending him to all sorts of places. he got cited for what he was in violation of. if youre dumb, shut your mouth and deal with it, dont make a huge scene about being wrong

Go to the DMV and take the motorcycle written test.

Then get a motorcycle learners permit. Show that to the judge. Also buy insurance and show that to the judge.

Do not take your unit to the DMV unless it is fully legal. If you register it as a moped and you take it to the DMV with out workable pedals they will probably impound it on the spot.

So you have your choice: register it as a motorized cycle, or convert it to pedals and register it as a moped. Do your registration by mail if you convert it (do not go to the DMV for the registration) using form Reg230 that you can down load off the internet.

The problem with converting it, is that the VIN will not match. Whether it is a pedal or peg model is part of the VIN, and when they enter the VIN into their system, it will come back as a motorcycle, or motor driven cycle, not a moped. Plus converting a Tomos from pegs to pedals is expensive unless you can find a good used pedal engine or bottom end cheap. The easiest way out of this is to get a motorcycle license (easy), then title, register, and insure it as a motorcycle. If you get all that done BEFORE going to court, and go in there with the right attitude, they might throw the whole thing out, plus you will be able to legally ride it with pegs. Peace. Jerry.

Nate, he knowingly broke the law, and he got caught. What do you expect? Cops are just not that bad. Sure, there are a few, but not that many. Most of them are just doing their jobs like everybody else. I have never been harrassed by the cops in my whole life. I have been stopped 10 or 12 times for speeding (yes, I was speeding), and gotten a total of 2 tickets. All the other times, I was only given a warning. I ride in the bike lanes, which is illegal, and the cops ignore me. I ride at a reasonable speed, wear a helmet, and my mopeds are registered, plated, and insured. Sounds like this cop let him off easy. Peace. Jerry.

In the state of GA all you need is a Valid C Drivers License to ride a Moped 50cc and under on the road, Heres my story I was pulled over by the cops for running stop signs,,The Cop followed me for along time because I could not hear him or see him behind me,This Police Officer followed me home and called for other cars,,,I told him the moped was 49cc and it did not haft to have tag or insurance and at the time I showed him my learners permit and he let me off with a warning..

In the UK, a 50cc moped (in common with all other vehicles) requires a minimum 3rd party insurance, compulsory basic training certificate, annual road tax and a road-worthiness certificate. Above 125cc requires the rider to pass a motorcycle riding test.

What are you complaining about?

The CA M2 test is the same as the M1 test. If you take the safety class and pass it you get your M1 by just applying.

The DMV test requires you first pass a written test. Then you take a riding test. The riding test is a set pattern which is the same for the M1, but much easier to accomplish on a moped or scooter than a large motorcycle.

When you go for your test they will inspect the bike and check for current registration and insurance. If either are lacking or if the bike is not legally equipped they will not let you take the test. I found that if you show up with a bike owned by someone else then they check for legal equipment but not insurance.

I also want to address the bike lane rule, the fellow who said you can't ride the bike lanes is in Arizona. In Calif. you can ride in the bike lane if it is adjacent to the roadway (I do this all the time... fewer SUVs are riding in the bike lane than in the road), but you must yield to bicycles in the bike lane. I do that by returning to the road to go around the bicyclist and then return to the bike lane.

I find that in town the bike lane is usually faster to use than the regular lanes, and safer than lane splitting.

When taking my test there was a girl there with a scooter, I had my moped so she let me ride her scoot for the test. So I picked up an M1 instead of an M2. No I don't have to sweat whether or not my bike is a motorcycle.

Other thing is, indeed, the M1 or M2 are lifetime certificates, they never need to be renewed as long as you keep your drivers license. Also I believe you can get your M1 without a drivers license... but I don't know if you can get it if your DL is suspended.

Terry

I totally blasted a red light in my Saab around midnight on empty streets. There was one other car, and wouldn't you know it, it had flashy lights. the cop said after seeing my license and I quote "Don't worry, I'm not going to give you a ticket or anything, but don't you think that light was a little pink?" Hell, that was hardly a warning! Pink? I killed that light and luckily no one else! That guy was awesome for letting me off when I totally deserved a fine. If you break the law take your lumps, it's how it works.

What blame game???!! check the law. He's in SD He was totally within his rights.

all i read was this:

shit i got caught for not being insured and not being registered. omg cops are dicks.

why would you call him a dick?

he was doing his job.

and your breaking the law.

so therefore hes not a dick and just a normal cop.

i was hoping for some cool story about how someone ran from the cops.

or there was mistreatment from the cops.

but no..

you were riding dirty kid, and you got busted. if you're not going to ride legit, then you have no right to bitch when you get busted.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Don't listen to these people. I'd be pissed too (though I guess it wouldn't happen to me since I'm plated.) I do like your start of the story though... 'I was going 25mph when I flew by a cop...'

You need a kit my friend.