I wish everyone was this nice

So I took apart my grande forks and tried sanding them down myself, no luck because my belt sander is too big and by hand it would take ages. So i decided to take it to a body shop that my dad had his car done at. The owner is italian, and I called him in the morning to ask if he can do it for me. He told me to come in after school. I came in, saw some pretty awesome cars, and started talking to him. I took out the parts, he looked at them, looked at me, and in a hardcore italian accent said "Why spend money? Here, do it yourself!" He goes to one of his shelves, and throws me a can of flat-black european spray-paint and some steel wool. So you guys can guess what I'll be doing today :D

Vova

Re: I wish everyone was this nice

Hahha, I woulda done about the same. People always want their stuff sanded for free.

It's just that I would suffocate from sanding like 100000 layers of paint and 999999 layers of primer from my forks

Wet sand, like I do. Get to it!

Ya don't have to go to bare metal, to repaint. In fact if you can just go down to the original primer, that's best.

Hey, that's what I just did, in some spots you can see the primer, in others a bit of the silver paint, but it's all nice and smooth. I removed some paint/primer with acetone and I think it's ready for painting

cool... don't let it sit long, as humidity will rust any bare metal real fast.

gotcha! it's windy out right now but hey, maybe ill find a quiet spot!

There's some stuff called Dad's Paint Stripper that works pretty well. It takes off the paitn without harming the metal, but you might still have to do a little sanding after using it. It's at Wallyworld for about $5 a can, or about $8 at auto parts and paint stores. The can is yellow, blue and white.

Hehehe, I always use hot water, so my hands don't get so cramped.

i use denatured alcohol. it strips paint off real easy.

Lots of sanding and lots of good old laquer thinnner, the thinner dries fast, and leaves less residue than chemical paint strippers; basically all you really need to do is sand it till it's smooth (i usually go all the way down (up?) to 600 grit sandpaper) then use a CLEAN rag with a bit of thinner to clean it or alternatively use a solvent like acrysol, or the such, and a tack rag to get rid of the dust. The solvent, as i said, usually dries quick, and leaves next to no residue, thus allowing a nice smooth re-paint, if you do use a chemical paint stripper, you SHOULD clean the part with solvent to get rid of any residue, the paint comes out smooth and less likely to lift or bubble.

« Go to Topic — end of thread