SAFEST way to clean CHROME?

What household cleaning products are safe to polish/clean chrome with? Can you use white vinager or is that to abrasive? Can cloths used to pollished stainless steal be safly used on chrone? I'm so paranoid about sracthing it! Thanks in advanced.

Kuro Neko Neko

Re: SAFEST way to clean CHROME?

use a bronze wool or brass wire brush, then use a chrome polish!

steel wool works good, like 0 or 00

Not funny...

Kuro Neko Neko

real chrome can be cleaned with a steel wool pad, i'm not kidding, we use it at the paint shop to remove overspray from the plastic chrome covered trim on cars (like the trim on a chrysler pacifica, or chrome on a real metal bumper 1964 chevy2 (nova) custom) but i dunno, i've used steel wool on chrome ped stuff without too much issue. personally i'm not a chrome guy, and have a tendancy to paint my chrome (which i strip with a coarse wire wheel or 3m abrasive wheel and die grinder) but i have shined up some moped rims with steel wool with good results.

i mean real steel wool like lexi said 0 or 00 not sos pads or anything like that.

Humm, I'll have to look into that idea. Thanks for the overview, I appreciate your detailed explanation.

Kuro Neko Neko

I use sand paper, then i just wipe it with a rag =]

And if the rust comes back...you can sand it again, or take a nice can of mat black to it.

i always use fine-grade steel wool, too, and i am a chronic chrome polisher.

simichrome polish or WD40 and 0000 steel wool (if you are removing rust)

Coke and brillo I believe works well... maybe try a green scrubber before the brillo pad. Coke was on Mythbusters for this and worked great.

all i needed was regular aluminum foil. cheap and works wonders. and then finish it off with a soft rag and chrome polish.

I have rust on the underside of my fenders, is there a way to get it off, then seal the chrome? Or do I just have to leave it till it rust's over again?

Kuro Neko Neko

you could clean it, then coat it in clearcoat acrylic... it's not perfect, but it'll slow (average 10+ years if coated right)the rusting...

Just normal clear acrylic like hobyshop kind or body shop kind?

Kuro Neko Neko

You might want to check this out. I've been using if for a long time with great results. I recommend wearing gloves when using it though as the chemicals dry your hands out pretty badly.

See: http://www.nevrdull.com/

For your rust, a good sanding and sealed with a rust converter similar to the one shown here:

http://www.interstateproducts.com/rustkiller.htm

and you can do anything you want with your inner fenders. This stuff is pretty amazing, it lasts forever and works instantly. It dries quickly too. Then you can paint your inner fenders black, gray, silver, etc.

Have you personally used this product yourself? Sounds kinda sketchy...a WATER based rust remover o.0?

Kuro Neko Neko

Yes I have personally used this and I highly recommend it for any rusty surface, particularly if you are going to paint it. I worked on a farm some years ago and we used this on farm equipment, mowers and hay balers that are highly susceptible to rusting out where clods of moist hay collected. Although we never spent a lot of time on finishes there were a few old tractors that I painted after using this. Yes, it sands and cleans up with water but you don't want to let it dry on anything you don't want ruined. It dries as hard as nails.

I will use it then! ^^ Thank for the info.

Kuro Neko Neko

It's certainly not safe if not done safely, but I did end up cleaning some horrid old chrome with muriatic acid once. I was actually trying to remove the chrome. The acid got rid of everything - dirt, paint, rust, decades of rural whatnot.. but left the chrome nearly unaffected.

Well I'm trying to stay away for the volitial stuff actually, I'll stick with the vinager and foil for now.

Kuro Neko Neko

Probably a good idea. Wearing allthat protective gear (eye/face shield, long rubber gloves, etc) is a bit cumbersome. On the other hand, using acid makes smoke :)

mark Freedman /

Here's what I did and it worked absolutely great.

I got NEVR-DULL from the nearest autozone type place. I also got steel wool. NEVR -DUL is like cotton or something, but its got this chemical in it. Take a thin strip of that and wrap it in a _thin_ layer of steel wool.

Then just wax it, tax it, and watch that puppy shine.

I didn't use gloves and I'm still alive.

I use 0000 grade steel wool, then wax it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread