NEWPORT VS. VIP

I finally got my Newport running after sitting on it for ....10 years or so! It still needs a few parts to make it ready to go, but I couldn't help but take it for a few hot laps up and down the block. Compared to my 2 speed VIP, the Puch just rips, it doesn't bog like the Garelli does when leaving from a dead stop, and it feels like it pulls much better. Is my Garelli just in a poor state of tune or is the Newport that much better? I also have a 60cc autisa head that i'm trying to sell, what would I get out of it if i put it on my bike?

Re: NEWPORT VS. VIP

Put the whole kit on the bike! It'll go faster. A 60cc head will be worse than a 50cc on a 50cc cylinder because the squish band is too large.

Forgive my ignorance, but what else would the kit consist of?

head, cylinder, and piston. After rereading that I think you just have the cylinder and piston. The piston goes on the cylinder, then the head covers the top of both. A 50cc head will work fine with a 60cc cylinder.

Good luck,

Eric

a 60cc cylinder and piston.

seems like your off idle tuning needs some work on the vip, what carb are you running?

Ok, got it. Now how about the PUCH VS. Garelli question

Stock dellorto, I shouldn't say bog more like slowly builds up speed. The Puch just rips though.

blip your choke on and see if it makes it better or worse. if its worse, youre rich on the bottom, if its better, then youre lean.

check the timing. my puch sucked for takeoff when I bought it. I figured that it went really slow because it had a small engine. I reset the timing, it takes off way faster and goes 6mph faster at WOT.

Sweet, i'll give it a try.

Uh, is the Newport a one speed or two speed? Peace. Jerry.

1 speed Newport comared to 2 speed VIP

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account