Bicycle Inner Tubes - Width Compatibility ?

Ro_Man /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Alrighty.. there I was, after a late night ride on wet roads, standing in Wally world's bicycle section, looking over the inner tubes. Looked at the Bell 20" tube.. looked good. Saw a Slime brand tube that looked even better, as it was noticeably thicker. Thick walls and sealant already in it. What an age of wonders we live in! Then I noticed the rest of the tube's measurements. The maximum width it (and the rest of the tubes there) were recommended for was 2.125". I'm going to install a 2.25 on the front and a 2.50 on the rear (93 Tomos).

Now I realize that the difference between 2.125" and 2.25" or 2.50" is tiny, but when hitting a bump at 40+ MPH while supporting 300 or so pounds, the extra stretching of the tube might be a problem.

So - has anyone had a problem using bicycle tubes on 2.50" tires? Is that .375" past spec anything to worry about? I've seen the Bell tubes recommended here, has anyone tried the Slime tubes?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account