Bicycle Inner Tubes - Width Compatibility ?

Alrighty.. there I was, after a late night ride on wet roads, standing in Wally world's bicycle section, looking over the inner tubes. Looked at the Bell 20" tube.. looked good. Saw a Slime brand tube that looked even better, as it was noticeably thicker. Thick walls and sealant already in it. What an age of wonders we live in! Then I noticed the rest of the tube's measurements. The maximum width it (and the rest of the tubes there) were recommended for was 2.125". I'm going to install a 2.25 on the front and a 2.50 on the rear (93 Tomos).

Now I realize that the difference between 2.125" and 2.25" or 2.50" is tiny, but when hitting a bump at 40+ MPH while supporting 300 or so pounds, the extra stretching of the tube might be a problem.

So - has anyone had a problem using bicycle tubes on 2.50" tires? Is that .375" past spec anything to worry about? I've seen the Bell tubes recommended here, has anyone tried the Slime tubes?

Re: Bicycle Inner Tubes - Width Compatibility ?

I use the 20.2.125 puncture resistant tubes with Tomos 2.25 tires, and they are a perfect fit. A 2.50 tire might be stretching it a bit, you would almost certainly have to overinflate it, and that would place more stress on the tube. I would have to say I don't recommend it, but you can try it, as long as you realize you have something that is potentially unsafe, and ride it accordingly, and see what happens. Peace. Jerry.

on my mountain bike I use 2.5 tires and with them you can use a 2.1, but it won't last long down-hilling. However since your moped probably wont be subjected to many harsh impacts or sharp rocks it would probably work, but generally in my opinion tires/tubes are something you shouldn't really skimp on because not only can they hurt you but no matter how much time you put into tuning your ped to be fast you wont get anywhere if you have a flat tire because you wanted to save a few bucks on tubes. I've never tried using bike tubes on mopeds though so I could be way off who knows.

fish_SHARK /

ive used a downhill bike tube from a shop, but the valve stem wasn't metal, and the rim ended up slicing the valve making it leak not too long after i put it in there. order one off the internet and get what you need - what i would do.

That is not a problem on Tomos mopeds with cast wheels, they won't cut the valve stem, and the real bike shop puncture resistant tubes are far better quality than what are sold as "genuine moped tubes". I don't recommend using them on mopeds with steel wheels, for the reason you mentioned, and I think the 20x2.125 tubes may be just a little small for 2.50 tires. I have over 16,000 miles on Tomos mopeds, using those tubes, with absolutely no problems, except a few flats, but way less flats than with stock tubes. Peace. Jerry.

If you have a decent bike shop near by you can get a HD BMX tube such as:

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/quicksearch/bti/NN3024

(designed to fit 2.1-2.4" and thorn resist (extra thick)

I bought some 14" tubes from the local bike shop for use on my Express, and they dont even come close to fitting. Still got them on a shelf. I use Kenda or IRC usually these days, just whatever the shop I'm buying tires from sells tube-wise.

If you bought 14" bicycle tubes that is why they don't fit, bicycle and mope tires are measured differently. They are talking about using 20" tubes on a Tomos, which has 16" rims IIRC, you would need like 17" bicycle tires if they are 14's, maybe like a 16" if they are 12's, I can't recall the size.

Ok, I thought that using the 2.125 on a 2.50 would be stratching it a bit much. When possible, I like to have a walk-in source for parts rather than having to order. But if it has to be ordered, then it has to be ordered.

I guess I'll go with these -

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/11098

« Go to Topic — end of thread