Its a bad sign when......

Whenever I get old Bikes to fix up, they have usually been messed with by someone who shouldnt have been messing with them. Ive noticed some tell tale signs that someone has messed something up. Here is something I notic on these bikes all the time.

Its a bad sign when... The Idle Screw is screwed all the way in.

Re: Its a bad sign when......

lol very true, it is a bad sign when: there is no gas cap

when it has a CJ6 spark plug

No spring in the carb.

it is a bad sign when there turns out to be no gears in your "new" sebrings trans!

Its a bad sign when rust drips out of the exhaust, when you roll the ped and hear a grinding noise and when every other screw/bolt is stripped out...

oooooh yeah that...

...when you cant get a gas cap off

...when you take the plug out to check for spark and its covered in rust

...its missing heat fins

...the pedal arms are bent

...i sold it to you

when the gas cap is inside the tank and you wonder how the hell they managed to do that and how the hell you are going to get it out

when you go to buy a honda express that supposably runs great and you get there and its laying down in a swamp and the guy still insists it runs great

vice grip marks on bolts.

It's leaning against a tree when you show up to buy it and when you straighten it up to kick it garbage water runs out of the handle bars

Hornets nest in the gas tank

The front fairing on your just purchased pa50ii is held in by 1/3 turn on a standard bolt instead of a metric one. Oh, and its been spray painted baby shit brown, on the chrome and reflectors and everything.

When you take a bike for a test drive, it soft seizes and the guy says "it does that all the time, don't worry about that"

The lesbian cop that sells you your targa neglects to inform her fellow dykepiggets that she sold it and you spend 30 minutes "detained" till they can get ahold of her and find out she"sold it months ago"

Yea, thats a good one, Ive had that. Spark plug for a car, or one of those ity bity short brigs and stratton ones. Jamed in there with all the threads stripped.

The standard bolt replacement is another good one.

Or when you go to buy a "strong running garille" and when you arrive you find that the magneto is missing along with piston but the cylender is bolted together with a spark plug in it.

When you shake your gas tank and hear chunks of rust rattling around....lol

i found a totally abused magnum mkII somone decided to spray paint. like over the speedo, over th seat, tires, handle bars..... i thought the red,white,and blue was pretty sick tho..

Edward Edwards /

It' a very bad sign when you remove the side cover and the flywheel falls off....

i do that to all my peds SAE bolts and nuts are cheaper and easier to find so i even rethread like the cases and covers so i can use standard bolts

why not its whats available

i have never thought about rethreading the holes and using sae. thats a pretty good i dea. i have a hard time finding metric hardware around here.

Do you guys not have hardware stores where you live?

Ace Hardware for metric nuts and bolts.

Its a bad sign when your maxi feels like it has a tuned clutch with a late takeoff.

....but its a za50

fish_SHARK /

this thread describes my bikes

:(

it starts on the 5th kick of the pedal after 10yrs of sitting and runs around the block at 3mph with a dirty carb and wrong spark plug.

oh wait, no...thats FUCKING AWESOME.

hardware stores dont have every size of metric bolts

besides i like stainless steel which they aint gut shit for metric in and what they do have is like 5 times the price of standard

when you finally locate a nicely price ped and your told all it needs is an exhaust and as you are bolting your new performace pipe on it the bolts never tighten nor do they even "grab".

or the smell coming from inside the magneto is best described as a rug on fire..

bad sign when 50% of bolts and nuts are loose

I HATE the standard system. I think its rediculous. I get all worked up just htinking about it. Its one of those things ya know..

Ace Hardware has an excellent selection. You guys dont have those? The only hardware stores with bad selection are home depot and lowes.

Yeah, Ace has everything small part wise. Any metric nut, bolt, or screw you could need.