fooling the legal system, hypotheticaly, of course

just wondering...

in R.I you can't register a moped without title or prior registration...

if i were to buy another moped with prior registration, and registered it here. if that moped were pretty much the same as the one i had that's not registered. could i just swap the VIN plates on the bikes when i rode then. using the registered VIN id plate on the one i was riding, would that work? enough to pass if i were pulled over.

i'm thinking, if i buy another blue moby that had it's paperwork, i could register it and do this... anyone see any real problems with that? i was thinking i could make the VIN tag magnetic or something like that so, it could be easily swapped on bike...

just a quick thought. any opinion?

hypothetically,

Jay in R.I

Re: fooling the legal system, hypotheticaly, of co

why dont you hypotheticly say you bought it from a bordering state like mass that doesnt require mopeds to be registered and create your paperwork that way.

they don't care here, i've tried that, and without either prior reg. title or statement of origin... they will not allow it to be registered, it's been driving me nuts. looking for a way around without going with ITS at $140 per ped...

then find a friend in a state like NY or MI (not me, I have too many registered already right now) that creates paperwork for a moped out of thin air. have said friend register the bike and then sell it back to you.

what other states are like that? if you know.

NH

In MN you can get a ped registered with only a statement of facts form and 4 pics of said ped. "sell it" to someone here, have them register it and then sell it back to you with the plates and MN title. Then you should be able to get it registered in your state. Hypothetically of course! They do run vin in MN to be sure it is not hot. I would not bother trying to swap id plates, it may work cops don't care much about mopeds, at least not here, but if you get caught it will be a bad charge, not worth it for a moped! I did pull that shit with several vw bugs I had, but I recomend against it. My 2 cents worth! Best of luck!

I almost pulled it with a VW bug, but chickened out at the last minute. I don't recommend trying to swap VIN plates, the cops are pretty good at telling if one has been messed with, and I don't know about Mobys, I have never been fortunate enough to own one, but Puchs have the number stamped into bout the frame and engine as well as the VIN plate. Peace. Jerry.

right on jerry, I got by doing it with bugs, due to the fact that they all look the same, (not to me) but to most people cops and computers. I had a bug with valid plates and reg and ins but it was on a bug that was a year older, I got stopped once and had no probs, but again I do not recomend this! On Mopeds they may look at the id plate, I don't know but thier a re better ways to get a ped registered.

http://www.its-titles.net/

Some of the pricing information contradicts itself. One price on one page, another price on another page for the same vehicle. I'd prinbt the page with the lower price and include it with the other forms when mailing the order in.

thanks for the advise guys,

if anyone out there is willing and able to register two mopeds in their state and sell em back... let me know, i will reimburse for troubles...

thanks

Jay

i called ITS, they sent all the paperwork and i was set to do it because i thought it was only $80 per, but after calling, it turns out it $140 per. so, about $300 to get two bike legal...

We should get like everyone on this site together that needs titles and demand a bulk discount. Like say, 100 titles for 8500 dollars or something?

Brendan Chenelle /

It will cost you 80 for both to get them registered in MA.

Where are you located?

wait, massacheusetts doesnt require registration? thats where mine came from and im havin trouble registering it in wisconsin. anything i should know?

MA requires a registration and it's $40. No title. Mine was supposedly registered, but the beotch (and she was) said they had no record of it on file, even with an old sticker on the fender. The lady asked me if I had a BOS, but I didn't have it with me. But, she gave it to me after a few walks to the back room and a few evil looking stares an face squinching at the computer screem.

i guess, i'm just going to pay the damn monies to ITS, i can't really subject any to the registry just to register my bikes and sell them back... damn the DMV!

Florida does that...no prior history needed. Just a bill of sale.

i did that. i re-registered a old maxi newport i had, but it was really a magnum with no vid plates.

i was thinking- "hey this way they can link it to me or under my name"

but i was really just too bumb to notice the number at the top of the frame...

but i say you just go steal sticker of other peoples plates on theyre cars and forge the registration.

Step one: Not posting your intent to fool the legal system on the internet.

Just saying.

--Scott

MA does NOT require a prior registration. I walked in with just my hand-written bill of sale and the form to register it and $40 and I was all set. All you need in mass is either a title OR a bill of sale so just "sell" it to a friend in mass if ya have one and have them register it and well yea I think this has been discussed. my point is you don't need a registration to do it in mass.

RI Dept of Registry is a crazy time warped quagmire. That goes double for enforcement.

Yeah, that's true here in Florida, except...

I've gotten pretty friendly with the gal at a tag agency here, and I was all set to "sell" one of my 'peds to a friend to get it registered, and she told me that, although that will work, if the system (damn computers) ever discovers that it still has a valid Wisconsin title that was never transferred, both myself and the "buyer" would be in deep do-do.

Looks like I'll be going the ITS route, too.

« Go to Topic — end of thread