Fun to watch new guy looks stupid

I just got in from a LONG day and night of.. what would the optimist call it, "Learning?.

I have no garage and I am trying to get my 80 puch to run, ..its not running, in fact things seem alot worst from when I started, cables are broke, stuff is missing I havent the foggiest idea whats going on, tried some stuff FRED'S GUIDE told me, I must be stupid because I can not get fricken spark AND, the big friggen AND MY carb is leaking really bad. This is turning into a terrible horrible no good very bad day. think I'll move to ALASKA. But hey least I have compression and that other thing.

Re: Fun to watch new guy looks stupid

That bad day book sucked a fat ass.

maybe you should give it another read.

Why? It was shitty then and it'll be shitty now.

If you want to "SHIT" on someones topic, try your own. I was under the impression that this site was helpful, your being rude.

Thanks,

JUnk

Go slowly, deal with one thing at a time, take the time to get it right and eventually you'll still feel like pounding it into a doorstop at times, but it will run.

thanks, I just wonder what is wrong with me for Liking it so dang much. I must like the rejection challenge.

Ben Van Zoest /

First of all what stuff is missing like the engine? not being funny w/h the missing stuff it would be hard to get anywhere fixing wise. Can you indentify the missing parts for us.

Im missing some the screws to my cables, my cables came out of the "cable sleeves?" and the C shaped things that I guess are cotter pins, some springs.. I just get going pulling everything off day dreaming about riding my puch I lose stuff. I still have the engine (knock on wood) I just took the Carb off, but am looking at it like a brand new parent coming home from the hospital thinking "what am I supposed to do with you". They dont make manuals for parenting, but that guy sells those CD mans for puch's. AWESOME!1

Dont tear everything off at once, deal with one problem at a time. find out why the carb is leaking is there a gasket in between the float bowl or is the float bowl mated closely with the body. Check out Here break> for a manual

I was having similar problems. After I cleaned the carb many times, and replaced the clut

Don't know what happened to the rest of my post, but the bottom line was letting everything dry out.

Go cry somewhere else.

Start with the carb. You don't want an open spark near dripping gas. You need to adjust the float (the little brass part needs to be bentso that the float doesn't go up too far.

For your spark problem, sand the points a little. Loosen the screw, pry them open with a screwdriver, put the sandpaper in, and pull it out. do that a couple times and then flip it over and do it some more. Use something like 220 grit. Reset the point gap like fred's guide says, rotate the engine so the points open and spray them with carb cleaner. close the points then put some paper between them like you did with the sand paper and pull it out. Do that until it looks clean. throw in a new spark plug and you should be set.

Good luck,

Eric

P.S. Why are there so many people "pissing on the parade" this weekend? I'm sick of it!

I'm not even going to start on the Bing carb, after a lot of messing with it, I finally got it to work right, but it still leaks, because whoever manufactured it saw fit to drill a hole in the wrong place. You can't cover up this hole, because it is the float bowl vent. Mine has been leaking (not badly) for 4,000 miles. As for the spark, this is where I ran into the most trouble. After going through everything (without a manual), and finding and correcting several problems, dirty points, improper point gap, rust on the magnet inside the flywheel, improper air gap between the ignition winding and the flywheel, an ungrounded coil, and a few other minor things, I still could not get a spark. I finally found the manual, and discovered the problem. The horn is wired into the ignition circuit, and if the horn wire is not hooked up, you will not get a spark. I eliminated about 90% of the electrical on mine, including all the handlebar switches, and the white plastic junction block. I have a wire going to the ignition winding, and the headlight and tail light hard wired, and that is it. Very simple once you get rid of most of it. Peace. Jerry.

Hey Jerry,

Can you post a pic (or email me) of your wiring setup. I would LOVE to do the same thing to mine as it would just make troubleshooting so much easier.

Chill out, the guy asked resonable questions. Plus, he's old enough to be your dad. That's just plain rude, to anyone at any age. Be grateful the OLDER guys, which is pretty much everyone here, allows you to join in.

There's nothing funnier than listening to 15 yr old punk talk stupid while thinking they are all bad ass. Believe me, I raised four, but in all fairness I was one too a looong time ago. Throwing unneceassary flames is lame. Reserve that for the real weirdo know-it-alls.

Speaking of crybabies, I checked out your profile. You really have some nerve.

Junk, I always start with the spark. do what eric said and if it doesn't work, hardwire it. disconnect all wires. then take the blue wire and run it to the coil and ground the coil to metal not paint. take the blue/black wire and ground it. the rest just tape together for the moment. this should give you spark.

also carb claener is not the best thing to spray into your points. try WD40. works great for electrical. do what rob said with your wiring to check for spark. once you have it it is easy to start ditching al the exesive wiring to yur lights. yellow wiring out of yur motor can be run srtaight to yur head light then run a wire from the terminal on the bulb mount to something metal inside the light bucket like the screw that holds it to yur forks. you can do the same with yur taillights if you like. remember you will not have break light function.

Motor and contact cleaner/brake cleaner, you want something that doesn't leave an oily residue.

man. I totally feel your pain. I've owned my moped for only about three weeks. now and its just one problem leading to another. and its a 2001. so its really frustrating me that all this crap is happening. but don't do what I did, and get frustrated and kick your bike. boy did I ever regret that. the best advice that I can give is just take your time. and order a few parts you need at a time. or work on one thing at a time. also check all your lines gas line etc. when my carb was leaking gas. it was not the carb. it was a tiny hole in the line under the clamp at the connection point on the carb. that was leaking gas from the top all around it. oh and also when you take your carb apart to clean it. note in detail where things go. I ended up putting one spring in backwards. and it caused me many problems. good luck man!

Calm down Gramps,before you break a hip.

all good advice, or you could just sell me the motor:) ill pay money!!!!!

How much are you offering?

Will do, Junior. Just watch out how you kick, your foot might end up in your own mouth.

email sent

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account