Pollution

I recalled there was quite a string of posts late last winter about 2-cycle pollution . . .

I got a new Tomos this spring, and it does have a catalytic converter. However, during the break-in period, I think running moderately never lets the catalyst get hot enough to work. At about 1000 miles, the pipe showed definite signs of plugging, and performance went downhill very rapidly after that.

Then, with the pipe still covered by warranty, I replaced it. Performance was good again. And now that I am running a lot at wide open throttle, or close to it, I see that the part of the pipe where the catalyst is gets hotter than the adjacent pipe, and no smoke at all and no oil comes out of the end of the pipe! Evidently, it's all being burned by the catalyst. I'm very curious how long the catalyst will last now . . .

Re: Pollution

throw it in the garbage and buy a 4 stroke or a prius if u wanna save the air

lol yes f the stock pipe, junk it buy a biturbo or any other good pipe f the emissions what carries you 50 miles would make more pollution in a car

honestly speaking mopeds, burn oil, mopeds release unburned gas and oil into the atmosprosphere around us... a 4stroke engine, and cat converter does a great deal to burn up unused fuel in the internal combustion process, but its not perfect, and how many cars out there are passing emmissions 90%?? i dunno

but think about how much gas your saving from being used in plastic, fuel, the whole manufacturing and running of a new or even used car.

lets just say we all still hold the right to flip off and hummer we see sporting its 30 inch rims and and dessert treat tires.

the new tomos passes california epa laws... long live the 2 stroke!

Its the unburned oil thats the pollutant...they make biodegradable oil for 2-stroke engines and water craft. Check it out if your interested.

Kuro Neko Neko

Vimy Ridgeway /

Makes sure the phalanges are aligned on the 145-degree axis.

Also, consider magnitude - the volume of Earth's atmosphere, the rate at which substances are naturally broken down and reused in nature, and the indescribably puny amount of gases released by your vehicle.

Then install a Biturbo and run free.

Uh. Whatever. My Catalytic converter's got something like 5,000 miles on it? 4,000 and some change for sure. And it's still kicking ass, and cleaning the air. The only reason I remotely care, though, is so when hippies bitch about the air, I can inform them that not only do I meet or excede emissions for a FOUR STROKE, but I get 120 mpg. And then I tell them that their Priuses are for bitches.

That's exactly what I did. I threw away an almost brand new Tomos pipe, because I didn't want to mess with it, and replaced it with a Biturbo. I have no idea what is in the Tomos pipe, but the catalytic converters on cars are so fragile that if the engine is running even slightly rich, or burning oil, it will destroy the converter in short order. I went through 3 of them on my Suzuki Samurai, before I finally gave up and traded it for a car so old it was exempt from emissions testing. Now things are just fine, except the car burns twice as much gas as the Samurai. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything. Peace. Jerry.

Magnitude is fine. But consider that, even though you're just driving "one tiny moped" think about a million other people also each just driving "one tiny moped"

And if you're thinking "compare the entire earth's atmosphere to one vehicle", then 1 hummer is still insignificant. It's not about one person or one vehicle.

It's about millions of people in millions of vehicles, all thinking they can't do anything alone. Even if your one small part is just small, it's still a part.

Ok, I just sounded like a stoned out hippy, but I assure you, I quit smoking about 2 months ago.

--Scott

...and volcanic emissions.

Cow farts produce more polution than mopeds. I agree, they where designed to produce decent power in a small package. Emission shit adds bulk and size, go 4 stroke it you care THAT much.

emission shit also decreases efficency in most cases i would imagine.. i heard most modern internal combustion engines only utalize 33% of the engergy in petrolum fuels...

please correct me if that sounds absurd..

Yeh that probly about rite

It's been a long time, but I remember that coming up in a class I went to several years ago. I'd have to research it, but I believe the actually efficiency of the 4 stroke internal combustion engine is really quite a bit lower than that. I also remember hearing that if we could get 70-80% efficiency out of fossil fuels, our energy and pollution problems would be over. I also believe that jet engines are way less efficient than internal combustion engines. The point about the Hummer is correct, if you include all cars and trucks, but even if you include every moped in the world, there still isn't enough pollution coming from them to make any real difference, because there simply aren't enough mopeds in existance. And look at the gas mileage difference between the Hummer and a moped. A moped gets 10 times the gas mileage, and most Hummers on the road only have one person in them. What a waste. Peace. Jerry.

word.

and no one should be buying new cars, the amount of cars theyre manufacturing is equal to all of us buying like 10 brand new cars in our lifetime. fuck that, what a waste of gas and precious resources, when you can fix the shit on your car, and refurbish others.

i drive a 91 Geo metro- 5speed- 3 cylinder- 2door hatchback and it fucking rules, and when im not on that its a maxi, magnum, and a sick 08' tomos Streetmate R, i flip off every hummer i see.

i cant believe i have to worry about this kind of shit...

p-eaceout!

I think we should all go to the moon and build mopeds that run on cheese!

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Close Sabat . Jim

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2003.web.dir/Sarah_Carter/efficiency.html

One of the major reasons for the loss of efficiency in an engine is the sheer number of parts moving at high

speeds. The movement creates great amounts o f friction between parts, which uses much of their moving energy to create heat. Lubricants and cooling systems can only do so much about this problem, and the typical internal combustion engine remains only about 20-25% efficient.

Wonder if anybody ever put a tiny turbocharger on a moped? Seems like there's a lot of energy coming out of the exhaust port -- if noise counts for anything!

ive thought about it, but havent found a way, or a tiny turbo charger to mod to a puch or tomos. seening how the ntakes and exhaust run on either side with eachother.

yeah ideas?

I don't know if hooking up a turbo would improve power on a ped, but the sould would be cool.

Due to the basic design of a 2 stroke, forced induction, of any type just won't work. In theory it would be possible on a 50cc 4 stroke moped, but in practice, it would probably take more power to run the turbo (remember, a turbocharger is a power robbing restriction in the exhaust) than what you would get out of it. To be reasonably efficient, both turbocharging and supercharging requires a larger engine. And of the two, I prefer mechanical supercharging. They are a little more efficient than turbocharging, and don't have that turbo lag as the turbocharger spools up. Notice how all drag racers with forced induction use supercharging instead of turbocharging. Peace. Jerry.

Thats bull, those Nazi's out at the salt flats had some whacky ass nazi 50cc 2 stroke bullet moped that catapulted our Arian superiors to some ridiculous speed. It had a supercharger I think, I know it wasn't naturally aspirated fersher though. Those zaney facists, what will they think of next? what a kooky bunch of guys.

Nazis, Arian superiors (I'm assuming you meant "Aryan"), Facists, what exactly are you trying to say?

pretty soon the weather will be warm enough for the dinosaurs to come out and play again!

Q: What was the most dangerous pollutant on Earth prior to the ascent of mammals? It did in fact threaten to exterminate life as it was known... but it gets much better publicity today.

OK, so what was it? Dinosaur farts? Asteroid crumbs? Oxygen?

what is it Ro_Man?

Oxygen.

Incudently, for most of the time it's existed, the Earth has been uninhabitable. The period during which it's had life on it is the exception, not the norm.