The "low wave"

I find this interesting. I give and get it to/from most other motorcyclists and scooterists, even some Harley guys, albeit begrudingly. Some chopper guys really dig seeing me out, but a few have done the "eat my dust" thing, when I'm thinking "hey, nice bike, hand shifter and everything". Some superbike guys have also given me crap when I just smile at them, pull a wheelie and laugh. Whatever man, to me we're all out on two wheels together, and mine at times take more guts to ride than their 100-decibel hogs. The only ones who consistently utterly ignore me are Goldwing riders.

What have your experiences been with this?

Re: The "low wave"

Oops I messed up. The superbike guys pull wheelies and laugh, not me. I did one once but... I'm not quite so cavalier and don't like to hurt myself doing stuff like that. Just getting over a wicked shoulder injury anyway.

Not mad about the reactions, just wondering what your experiences have been...

in my experience, the wannabe tough guy harley riders and honda-davidson riders are the most likely not to wave. most people in general do, though. they wave and smile. i mean, i ride motorcycles... if someone on something cool and motorized waves at me, im going to wave back.

its hard to take any tough guy on a cruiser seriously unless he got colors on.

Yeah, polished soft tail et al. trailer queen out on nice Sundays only, tough guy attire. LOL.

yeah, Id say mine are pretty much the same. I get low waves, fairly often unsolicited, from the harley guys. Ive gotten some cheers from the superbike guys rarely, usually just ignore me. Goldwing riders ditto...never gotten anything except me and this guy sat at a red light and eyed each others bikes.

really? maybe you are right... now that i think about it. i dont know if you can see a moped when you are on a goldwing. haha.

i find when i ride my pinto i get ppl just look at me but when im on my cobra/tomos ped i get a lot of waves because it looks more like a motorcycle.

I tend to get no props around here. All Harley guys in Reno, a lot of tools in this shed if you know what I mean. Same on my old Suzuki's. What? I paid about a dollar per cc and I know how to fix my own bike?

most riders kinda look and wave there like wtf was that cuz i am big and fa 50 are not

i work at a scooter shop, so whenever i'm testriding the new stuff with airhorns i honk at bigger bikes.

we know who's compensating for what anyways.

honda riders always seem to be into my NU50 and give me at least a nod for it..

also last week i was riding home on my honda cub when i got overtaken by a pack of harley dudes (6-8 of em).. they laughed at first, and then let me ride point for about a mile, was pretty funny.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Sounds par for the course. All the riders at work like my mopeds. All Harley or old school Honda. Maybe one or two waves from amiable superbikes, but definitely not as many as I get from people on Harleys and import cruisers. Goldwing owners keep to themselves for the most part, except for one dude on the ride to Red October last year. Had the most beat up Goldwing I have ever seen but was really friendly and had the coolest old-school helmet; american flag paint job with a eagle hood ornament stuck on top!

That's awesome!

This is just like a time I came up a group of 911 / 930 turbos on I-84 in CT. I had a new Geo Storm GSI 16v, top speed about 125 if you waited long enough. I crept up to the rear, they were all going about 110, and while one protested and shot up to 140 or so with a sneer, they let me play with them for about 10-20 miles (dunno, we were hauling ass). My Storm was screaming at 6000-6200 rpm and they were chuckling. Black 930 leader guy waved me ahead to the point position for a bit, and he tucked in REALLY close and the others did likewise. Hell, they were probably still in 3rd or 4th depending upon the model, 4- or 5-spd... I backed away once I'd hit top end for a minute or so, then waved bye and they smiled or nodded, and one laughed and thumbs-upped me. THAT was fun. Had my GF in the car, even. I'll always remember that. No bull man, that's the way it was.

TP wuz targaped /

Besides the Hell's Angels I think I've had only had one biker not give or return a friendly wave .. everyone else was great .. and huge interest was shown by the big boys and girls towards my MLM (mighty little moped) the interest getting bigger the further from Ontario I travelled (my plates were Ontario licensed). The Hell's were riding in a big group, and maybe they were all thinking, "Well, it would be nice to be friendly, but what would my buddies think?" Whatever the reason, maybe they were just having a bad day, they just passed me without any hello. Life's like that.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account