Finding old parts locally?

I'm on the hunt today for a carb rebuild kit for my Sachs Balboa from '78. Only place I was able to find ANYTHING to rebuild this carb (it's the 104a, D 505 engine) is Mopedjunkyard.com - which would be fine, except I REALLY want to ride this thing over the holiday weekend and at the moment I'm spitting gas everywhere and fouling up the plug, stalling out, etc. so I need it today. Short of me flying there and picking it up, that's not going to work!

Do you have success at Motorcycle stores finding gaskets, etc. for your mopeds? I took today off specifically for this task. :-)

I got a plug at Autozone after they insisted they wouldn't have one, but I KNOW they won't have the rebuild kit....

Re: Finding old parts locally?

The Pint Master shark /

Hey liz have you tried taking it apart to see where it is leaking from? You might not need a gasket. You can get gasket material from an auto parts store to make your own.

Those bings have issues with the float. Check to see if the needle and float move freely. There are lots of options if its a gasket, that would get you through the weekend.

If you have not taken apart a carb before moped junkyard actually has a good diagram of that carb in pieces.

Well have to go to work. Good luck

The Pint Master shark /

P.S. put this post on the moped repair forum too. probably will help also.

No Problem! That square bing is pretty easy to work on. you can buy gasket paper at almost any parts store. I actually pieced my gasket back together with Yamabond (permatex will work if you cant get Yamabond. If you've thrown away the pieces of gasket you can use RTV to make a new gasket, check to see which type will work with gasoline. The real trick here is to get the carb extremely clean. Unscrew the jet and clean it with an orifice cleaner (available at most auto parts store) just make sure you only make a few passes as they are actually files and I have widened up a jet once. Pull out the float pin with pliers and insert it into a drill. Run the drill and hold some very fine sand paper against it to polish it up nice. Clean out the float needle seat perfectly as as well as the needle. Re assemble and start!

Shopping list:

-Yamabond, or other non-hardening sealer

-RTV (gasoline resistant)

-gasket papar

-Orifice cleaner

-fuel line

-inline fuel filter

-fine sand paper 320 grit or higher

The square bing is easy to seal and I believe is more reliable as far as leaking goes.

BTW You people and you freaking 505-D engines! Where do you people keep finding them?!

I didn't even know what that was until after I bought it. :-)

I bought some gasket paper just incase, about the tackle this, wish me luck!

you got it. if you need any help just post up on the repair forum. We'll get you running.

The Pint Master shark /

Ya no shit! i have 4 sachs engines and not one of them is a D! dammit!

call handybikes, its worth a shot.

handybikes always has a complete gasket set on ebay- it has everything, including the transmission fill plug, and the crank seals.

So I tored down the carb, it was a whole lot easier than I thought and the gaskets were still serviceable, so I left them as is. Turns out that wasn't my problem. I mean, it did need some adjustment, but the issue is a leaky petcock and the fuel filter that was on the line before it. don't think it was stock. either way, the fuel filter is gone now and i'm looking for a new petcock. i think i need to rebuild the engine as well, still slipping and sluggish between 10-20mph, but after that it runs like a champ. but still runs pretty rich.

anyway, at least now i can take it places and not worry that it will fall apart on the way!

I didn't mean to say "tored". lol typo!!

« Go to Topic — end of thread