Bicycle tire on a moped???

I picked up a piece of glass in my rear tire the other day and went to fix it yesterday but found that the sidewalls of the 31 year old Perelli gave away. Fuck! I've got shit to do, places to go, people to meet. I've also got about a gzillion 20 inch BMX tires and tubes in the shed from the grandkids bikes over the past years... Hum...

They fit a 16 inch rim? Yes, they do!

I am certain that this tire is not exceptionally safe as a daily rider, but no more unsafe than the 31 year old Perelli's I've been riding on both of our Pacers since September. It fits and seated perfectly all around. In a pinch a 20 inch bicycle tire will work on these 16 inch rims.

The tire pictured came off a 20" Mongoose. Go figure!

1211469607_img_0570.jpg

Re: Bicycle tire on a moped???

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

One of our riders in St. Louis rides his Pacer top tank with BMX tires on the original rims. He's done it for a while, and hasn't had any problems. That said, I rode his bike about a month ago and wrecked because of a speed wobble...

If it were me, I'd ride that around carefully, and only as necessary until you get a proper tire for it.

Yes, that's totally unsafe. Still, you have a good point:

...no more unsafe than the 31 year old Perelli’s I’ve been riding on

Indeed! As long as it's a little difficult to pull the bicycle tire's bead over the side of the rim, you've got a reasonable fit. It's still pretty unsafe, but I agree that I'd rather ride a properly-installed, new, wrong tire than a rotting tire in unknown condition.

Kamasuras come with bmx tires. It's good enough for the Chinese LOL! If you keep at BMX speeds you shouldn't have a problem. I found that they aren't terribly round and don't give a good ride. Sudden stops may be really hard on sidewalls as they are stopping a lot more mass from a lot much higher speed. Bear in mind you can only pedal a BMX so fast as they are small single speed bikes.

I would not recommend the use of a bicycle tire on a moped except in an emergency, and then take it easy until you can get a real moped tire. On a Tomos, or any other moped with 16" cast wheels, I totally recommend the heavy duty puncture resistant bicycle tubes, size 20x2.125 for permanent use, they are better quality and more puncture resistant than "real" mopeds tubes. However, I have some reservations about using these on wire spoke wheels with steel rims, as they have rubber valve stems that could be cut by the sharp edges of the valve stem hole in a steel rim. Peace. Jerry.

Vimy Ridgeway /

I'm with Jerry. I've used BMX tires in a pinch, but they are made to take the weight of the bike and rider, not a 100 lbs of moped coming to a stop from 30 mph. You can buy stronger bikes tires, but why bother?

The main issue is that there is nothing to them, they have no sidewall or lateral strength. I tried a set one winter and found them terribly unstable, they just rode like crap. You should be able to pick up a new set of moped tires for around $10 each.

Again, it's only temporary. I don't feel particularly safe riding with it. I'm not riding far from home and heavy on the front brake, I don't want to find out if I can spin the tire on the tube. I suppose I'm just amazed that a 20" bicycle tire fit a 16" moped rim.

Thinking in the abstract, if I could get away with riding it I think one of these (rear) Schwinn Stingray tires would crazy, they're really, really wide and have crazy colored side walls.

See:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000011523211P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Bicycling&sName=Accessories&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

Where do I find the $10 moped tires?

You'll have to look around. Carlisle and Cheng Shin tires are both very affordable. Irc's can also be found for a good deal. I'm not sure where to recommend looking, Motorcycle shop, moped shop, ebay, ronayers.com. Finding them local would be ideal because you'd skip shipping but they're not always easy to find.

I don't know about $10 a tire, but there are plenty of online options. If the shipping quote seems exorbitant, call and ask. I think a lot of places estimate based on motorcycle tires rather than smaller (less expensive to ship) moped tires.

"Ron Ayers":http://www.ronayers.com/

"Dennis Kirk":http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

"American Motorcycle Tire":http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=362

"Nielsen's":http://www.nielsens.com/catalog_keyword_search.asp?keysearch=Go&keyword=moped&submit=Go

"Tires Unlimited":http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

that string ray tire is 4 inches thick. its not going to work.

Thanks for the leads on tires, I'll check them. And not that I have intentions, but that 4" wide Stingray tire will not only clear my swingarm and kickstand, but it would also clear my fender. My grandsons buddy has one and I measured it. The kid thought I was crazy when I asked him if I could measure his tire... there just may be some truth to that.

I would try and make a sting ray wheel work, be cool. I was lookin gat bike tires and most new ones have Kevlar in them.I dont think bike tires are speed rated but on a mountain bike I gac get moped speeds

That's why I love the Michelin Gazelles so much. They are tough tires with very stiff sidewalls. I have them on my Puch, it's a shame they don't make them to fit a Tomos, or they could sell me 4 more. Peace. Jerry.

i use BMX tires all the time with no problem

its not like you can easily get a 16 inch knobby moped tire but you can get some really nice knobby 20 inch bike tires to me i dont feel any difference riding on bike tires than moped tires

you can go ahead and do that jay.

I don't know why anyone would want knobby tires on a moped, but for someone looking for speed and low rolling resistance, you can get Schwalbe Marathon Plus Recumbent tires that will fit a Tomos rim, these tires are completely steel belted, the tread area is over 3/8" thick, they have very stiff sidewalls, and are designed to carry heavy loads. They are very skinny tires, and run 100psi pressure. They would certainly support the weight of a moped, and should be fairly safe at stock moped speeds, I don't know how long they would last, problem is, the last time I checked, they were $45 apiece. Some mopeders use these when trying to set speed records. Peace. Jerry.

rollin 40 + on these every day for 2 years Maxis Strong

1211518503_100_0651.jpg

most stock moped tires aren't rated for over 30mph so as soon as you modify them you already are over the limit and not many of them have a very stiff sidewall. I usually use a dual sport motorcyle tire. very stiff sidewall and spped rated for 110mph and the last 3 times longer. at 35 dollars a piece it's well worth it.

I know its only temporary but its a very bad bad idea. Theres a reason they make tires specifically for mopeds. The forces for each are very different.

Aaron McTaggart /

You're running the Schwalbes then? 18"? 20"? model? pressure? width? infos...

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

true, but an orwellian nightmare totalitarian government is also good enough for the chinese.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account