ani-remove injector clique

Sorry boys and girls .. I may be new here and not yet part of the 'in' crowd, but I'm entitled to my first hand experiences as much as some of you entitle yourself. So loosen up and don't rag me for expressing my in-person, real life, true story,

saw it at the Italian garage where I bought my moped experiences which say the Tomos injector is getting an undeserved bad rap. Thank You. And if the clique extends to the site administrator and I get kicked off for voicing my opinion, well, I'll just find a free society.

ani-remove injector clique

Free-schmee. This is a private site and we are _allowed_ to post here. It is not some given right.

Re: ani-remove injector clique

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

I just like that the fact that there might be a design flaw on a Tomos bike personally offends you...

Tyrone Biggumss /

i have a tomos with 1300 miles and one with 4000 some odd miles and the injector works great on both

on the one i paid 400$ i use premix just cause i dont like the chance, but the one i bought for 300 i use the injector and it works great.

it sbeen given a bad rep because 10 people will cry about it 500 times so it'll look like 500 people had bad ones when in reality only 10 people did

Seriously...[apparently] the only bike youve ever owned, and you cant come to grips with the fact that something on it might be badly designed? MINE DIDNT BREAK GUYS SO THEY MUST BE OK!!!! I TOLD YOU TOMOS' WERE MADE IN HEAVEN BY THE ARCHANGEL GABRIEL OUT OF SOLID TITANIUM AND DIAMONDS!!!!

you're a weird old man.

go live in a commune.

Thank you Zack .. that means a lot to me, I realy do like Toms .. and perhaps I should leave it at that; but it's not the potential of a design flaw that bothers me, it's even one of the posters here telling me what I should be saying about Tomos injectors .. THAT bothers me, and i did happen. As for a design flaw, if it was flaw in the design, it would be in every injector and mine would have failed a long time ago.

But thanks again .. you made me feel good about myself.

True Bry .. and that means we should all respect the others' right to post their opinion, right?

A supporter .. I am relieved. Thanks, Tyrone.

If I could find the diamonds I'd still buy Tomos, maybe upgrade to a biturbo with filter. James .. if a design flaw were involved every one of the injectors would fail. Perhaps (?) there's a tooling flaw in one of the moulds or dies used to make a part in the injectors .. one mould or one die out of how many similar molds or dies used to make that one part? Another point .. I seem to recall someone and I can't remember who on the forum saying they bought two Tomos, and both the injectors failed, and then they discovered damage under the injector cover. Damage is not failure .. damage is damage. I hope I don't sound too 'sharp' about all this, but my Dad taught me to hone.

I can't live in a commune Nate, someone would claim my baby as their own .. and that's happened too many times already.

But you are very funny.

Dear crazy guy, please read threads in "Flat View" and respond in one coherent non-repetitive post. Thanks a bunch.

i really dont get the point of an injector... why not just premix? does anyone have arguments to using one?

the injector could break without you knowing it and then bam no oil. with premix theres one less thing for you to worry about.

the only argument i can think of is if that you can't fill it up at a gas station without an injector. but if you fill up at a gas station why not just carry around one of those little 50:1 oil thingys with you.

I give up on this one, let him keep his precious injector. And I sincerely wish him good luck with it. He may be annoying, but he rides a moped. Peace. Jerry.

dude you are right, we all have a right to our own opinion. you can yell into the wind all you want that tomos oil injection works just fine on your ped. what you dont have the right to do is try to make your opinion count for more by making multiple threads about it.

we appreciate the stories and experience you an share with us from your 7500 mile trip. but that was one ped, one experience. many of us have had many mopeds with just as many miles on them. most of use have modified the bikes with larger carbs, pipes, kits etc etc. and most of us have seen the injector fail.

its not like headlights. if it goes out you dont replace a 2$ bulb. you have to replace an entire motor. so, you can keep on riding with the injector on your stock bike. but stop telling people they will be fine when you have no idea if they will. its not going to be any skin off your back when some dude across the country seizes his brand new kit, it will however SUCK for that dude.

this is not a conspiracy. this site has only 1 active moderator (me). it takes a LOT to get banned or have a thread removed. the only easy way to get something removed is to spam. please dont spam. please do not make 20 responses to one thread.

in conclusion you have the right to voice your opinion, you do not have the right to stand on a soapbox and scream it with a bullhorn though.

Premixing can be messy, dirty, time consuming, inaccurate, spillage, evaporation, dirt getting into the fuel, and just unnecessary. But to each their own.

your not looking for anything but a arguement.

Maybe time for another ride? See if that tomos injector will do 15,000 ?

"can be messy, dirty, time consuming, inaccurate, spillage, evaporation, dirt getting into the fuel, and just unnecessary."

thats mopeds dude. thats moped culture. 12v lighting, turn signals, oil injectors these have nothing to do with what 90% of us ride.

we like getting dirty. we dont mind getting a little dirtier if we can eliminate the possibility of our motor locking up.

Thanks Harold - I did make a mistake and post the same subject twice on the General forum .. I simply forgot .. please accept my apologies .. and I like to respond to people's opinions as if we are in a discussion, which others do as well. I think we all on the fourm find this time of year an important time to get information out, when we are working on our machines and trying to perfect them for the ride .. and to help others avoid troubles and expense. I'm sure input into the forum will slow down as the weather warms up .. I'll probably not post again after the end of June when I'll be travelling. This is a great forum, my goal is to learn and help and enjoy .. and you and I for example obviously have a huge difference of opinion about the Tomos injector .. and that's cool .. but I'm glad you respect that I have to voice what I know to be factual in my experience. Thanks.

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

Factual IN YOUR EXPERIENCE. Exactly. It is your experience. One man. ONE moped. What the people here are speaking of are MANY mopeds over many years. Maybe you don't get that. This forum has been here for a long time and in that time it has come up over and over and over.....the damn things have a tendency to fail and you can save your engine by not using them. Not all of them fail. But a lot of them do, and is it really worth ruining your engine?

And as far as premixing being time consuming, messy, etc. I am not exactly sure how. You pour some oil into a measuring cup, pour it into the gas can, and shake. Getting dirt in your gas can is no more likely than getting dirt into your gas tank so that is really a non-issue. I probably spend 20 minutes a month filling up/mixing my gas and all I need to do is wipe my hands on a rag when I am done. Maybe I am one of the lucky few?

What the hell is the matter with people? Why dont you buy a lexus for the love of god?

what the hell is the big deal with taking a 5 gallon jug , pouring some oil in there , filling it up with gas and then giving it a little jiggle?

Sweet lord dude, your driving a moped with a TOILET SEAT on it , oil injection, 12 volt lighting, why dont you just get a scooter.

I mean you REALLY have attatched to you moped. If Freud was a scooter fan, he'd think you have Scooter Envy.

Hey Targaped,

For once I will not resolve to flaming and actually make a coherent well thought out post in response to oil injection removal on Tomos.

I really think you are a cool guy, your travels sound like a helluva experience and one day hope to do something similar. Your Tomos has been an obviously very reliable machine.

Although this is not the case with the hundreds of other tomos' who have had their oil injection systems fail and unknowingly seize while riding.

Yes, an oil injection system is CONVENIENT. Although the slightest complication (clogging, forgetting to fill the tank, leaking etc.) will result in damaging your ped and not even knowing it.

So, even lets say the oil injection system ARE good (like yours)...many people who ride their moped daily as their main form of transportation remove it to totally ELIMINATE one less variable that could go wrong in their daily commute. Good idea isn't it?

With pre-mixing, you GUARANTEE you get the right ratio your ped needs to run in a desired fashion (for performance, for reliability, for w/e). No matter how good oil injection can be, parts still break, user error or not. Yes, it may take an EXTRA 1 minute out of your day to fill a pre-measured bottle of oil for your next tank fill. But its not all that messy, you just pour it into your tank and then fill with gas. Whats so hard?

Also, many people run a kit on their ped which requires running a little bit richer. The oil injection system is designed to inject only a certain ratio and nothing else. Therefore it cannot be utilized anyhow in this scenario.

Yes, you argue that they MAY fail due to user error damaging them. Although would this become a problem at all if the oil injection did not exist? People RIDE their mopeds and bang them up, thats life. If that is the cause of this oil injection failure, thats more the reason to remove them.

My 2 cents.

dirty, time consuming, inaccurate

This is what just drives me INSANE

If you cannot figure out how to accurately premix your oil and gas, you shouldnt be on the road WALKING nevermind in command of a motorized vehicle.

If you cannot pour a bottle of oil into a tank with out making a mess, your a nightmare.

Sweet Jesus I cant be trusted to do long division but i can read the back of the oil bottle

I believe most of the failures came from the 2 part injector coupling which I described in the other thread. Tomos has used a few different designs and I'm pretty sure they no longer use this design, in fact its very possible that they noted a problem and fixed it. Here are a set I removed, both bikes were pre 1998 models.

As you can see the wear is quite obvious, expecially on the lower right corner of the left assembly. If it wasn't removed from use it would eventually tear and fall/get thrown out of place (it spins at engine rpm). Without this part the whole engine would receive NO lubrication and seize most likely within a mile. This could only damage the piston, or it could damage the piston, cylinder, bearings and crankshaft and would require a complete engine rebuild. This problem may also come from untrained people working on the bike and forgetting to reinstall the part or if the part falls out of place when the cover is installed. Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone and is likely no longer an issue on the newer models due to the new driver designs but people should be aware expecially on older bikes. Bikes which may have not been regularly serviced. The pump driver is a WEAR ITEM, its a good idea to inspect it regularly, and a good idea to look over the whole system expecially on an older used bike. Another issue is the lines, they should be inspected regularly. When they become hard and brittle they leak at the connections. Many of the problems aren't because of tomos itself but from a lack of regular maintenance. If you go over it regularly then I have no doubt it can be made reliable. People like to remove it because it eliminates the risk entirely, with premix your engine is always getting oil when its getting fuel, it also allows you to fine tune your ratio.

Also, without the oil tank you have a nice little place under the seat for a bottle of oil and some tools ;)

Dirt Clogged? /

Fergy . . I'm not the only rider on this forum who says the Tomos injector is getting an undeserved rap .. I would estimate there are just as many 'for' as 'anti'.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Something is making me feel very, um, Wari?

Dirt Clogged? /

Andrew - the law here says I have to have lights, horn, license, plates, brakes .. and I just happen to think injectors give a more reliable quality to the fuel than mixing .. and if you think I like scooters you haven't read many of my posts because I think they're deadly dangerous and I wouldn't ride one .. and I resent scooters being called mopeds. Another reason not to mix is because when you're travelling long distance, where on your moped are you going to store a five gallon can?

Dirt Clogged? /

Excellent post, Andy. But I'll still use my injector. And another reason to use it is if I'm travelling and filling the tank twice a day for weeks on end, adding oil to the bike's gas tank doesn't mix it well because my tank has a hump in the interior .. and I can't carry a five gallon can. To damage the inector on my bike through a crash I think the bike would probably be written off, the injector is so well protected.

Dirt Clogged? /

Everybody makes mistakes and messes.