OT New Ebay scam,

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Scam artist buys many low priced articles; pays immediately, sellers leave positive feedback.

Scammer then lists many high value items with a seven day auction, accepting only Pay Pal.

Buyers bid and pay based on his 100% feedback. They wait then Email scammer asking for a tracking number but the scammer has taken the Pay Pal money and vanished.

Claims are filed with Pay Pal but there is no money in his account.

I notified Ebay about the scam artist but haven't heard from them. I told them "I don't give a damn about his buying feedback; I care about his selling feedback". I don't think he had any items just pictures and a good description

Has anyone run into this problem? Jim

Re: OT New Ebay scam,

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

This has been happening for many years. I bought something from someone like this a LONG time ago but I never paid for it as I e-mailed him to ask a few questions first and never got any responses....then a week later or so his account had the whole " no longer a registered user" thing.

Whenever you are buying anything you should check their seller feedback. You can choose to view Buyer feedback, Seller feedback, or All when you are on the feedback page.

Tony - Baltimore /

You just have to make sure you are covered via paypal (verified user etc)

Pay Pal said my claim was ok but he didn't have any money in his account. Hey fergy said "Whenever you are buying anything you should check their seller feedback. You can choose to view Buyer feedback, Seller feedback, or All when you are on the feedback page." You are correct, thats why I told Ebay "The feedback on the bid page means nothing. If I am buying, why do I need his buying feedback? Also, If a buyer bids with no feedback, How would a seller reject his bid? Jim

That's a good point, when you post an auction only your seller feedback should be listed on that auction as it is the only thing relevant at the time. I don't really care how many things they have bought on ebay...I want to know how trustworthy they are as a seller. Clicking a button to make a payment is a totally different thing than describing something honestly, packing it well, and mailing it out in a timely matter (if at all).

Also, when you are posting an auction I believe you can choose to not allow people with 0 feedback bid on it.

ALways email first, people are to trusting. I don't even ship stuff unless i get an email from the buyer.

If you block people with zero feedback, you how does Ebay get new buyers. Jim

Yeah, I don't know how to answer that one. Ebay is having a lot of issues with scammers and poorly implemented policies. Now that sellers can't leave negative feedback I have a feeling that the scamming is going to really blow up. It's as if Ebay WANTS us to lose our money.

Errr, ignore what I said about scamming blowing up. That actually doesn't make much sense as it's generally the sellers that scam people, not the buyers. Whoops.

« Go to Topic — end of thread