Tomos' Dirty Little Secret

But I still like them /

The stock Tomos A35 muffler has a small diameter (less than 1/4"?) tube ahead of the Baffle Tube which can plug and cause lots of problems which will be misdiagnosed leading to unnecessary parts purchases/replacements unless the tube is discovered and cleaned. In three months of trying to solve my problem by efforts including contacting people like four North American dealers, Tomos' Canadian rep, and Tomos in Slovenia, and after watching the Moped Army forum closely, mentioned this tube to me. To see this tube you have to take out the Baffle Tube and hold the muffler angling to the sun (or have someone holda flashlight) and peer in past the Baffle Tube joint. This tube can be cleaned with a long wire from a stiff, steel coat hanger. I doubt if even Carb Cleaner will unplug it because the tube's diameter is so small it will restrict soaking of the plug. Burning may also not work if the plug is dense enough. I was ready to give up on Tomos before I solved this problem, and wish they had schematic of their mufflers available, but I like my Targa LX so much that if I ever buy another moped I'm sure at this time that it will be a Tomos. I had 10,000 miles (7,500 extremely hard miles) on my bike with no problem before I even encountered a dirty fuel filter, and at this time I think the bike will easily last another 20 years. I suspect running my bike up here in Canada through the winter, a couple times in 20 below F, condensed the exhaust in that tube.

Re: Tomos' Dirty Little Secret

John Joedicke /

Most people discard the restrictive exhaust and eliminate this problem! Maybe time for you to do the same. Also let you get more than 30mph out of it and holding traffic up.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

I have been told that using an exhaust off of an older A3 bike helps because they didn't have that restriction.

Cross Country Moped /

Dscard? Taking the muffler and pipe off will screw the backpresure necessary for proper functioning .. and I can't afford the upgraded equipment. I stay to the far right of the road/street (travelled portion, not the gravel shoulder) and don't hold traffic up anyway .. that's the law in Canada anyway.

Cross Country Moped /

It's no problem now that I know it's there because I can clean it without taking the muffler and pipe off.

upgraded pipes arent really expensive.

make you look mad sexier too.

Did you just post this same thread in two different forums at the same time?

Yeah the old A3 pipes look the same but have a much better header and less restriction. Most also came in chrome ;)

John Joedicke /

No it isn't the lawin Ontario. You hold your lane. You need a lesson. Talk to any COP or the MOT. As for discarding the restictive muffler, anybody that had half a brain would have understood to put on a better pipe and upgrade the jetting. Or are you too poor?

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

Wow, double. Lose the hostility.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

I say let the old men fight it out.

You can get a Biturbo and a new jet for under $100, it will end your pipe problems, your moped will run better, and a bit faster, though you can still ride at 30 mph if you choose. You don't have to go the full route with a big bore kit, those things will dramatically increase your speed, but will also cause you engine/transmission to wear out faster. My Sprint has a Biturbo, and I still ride it right around 30 most of the time. In AZ, you have to ride either in the bike lane, or to the far right. Mopeds are not permitted to use a whole lane, unless making a left turn. Peace. Jerry.

John Joedicke /

I guess Chad, but I'm getting tired of all these explanations and no founding too them. My jets a cooled! lol Going for a ride even if it is only 40C out.

Except for those loopity loop pipes. Ugly and heavy (compared to stock). Biturbo is a beautiful pipe, chrome with a gold can. I keep mine all shined up. Peace. Jerry.

Where can you get one, and will they fit the A35 without modification? Peace. Jerry.

John Joedicke /

Jerry, they bolt right on and e-bay is your best chance for the A3 pipe.

Vimy Ridgeway /

While I have a great deal of respect for anyone who does a 7,500-mile moped trip, I get a bit sick of people who double-post threads (like this one), bump up their own threads 7 times in a row, keep changing their user-name, etc, etc, and throttle you with misinformation or disingenuous questions.

You say drama queen, I say toolshed.

But I still like them /

Sorry, can't improve on perfection.

But I still like them /

Yup .. that's how important I think it is because a lot of people own Tomos .. and it's suited to both categories.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

But I still like them /

Who you callin' an old man!!?!?!?!?!? Wait until I get my glasses off, I'll come at you, if I can still see you!

But I still like them /

David - loosen up man. So many people own Tomos and this is such an important hidden secret that what harm does it do to make sure everyone finds out. As far as bumping, well, I'm now waiting for it to disappear onto the third page .. and am fast losing interest in bumping because I think most readers here have seen it. As far as using entertaining and attention getting names, they're just that .. look at the other entertaining names - and I know yes I know FOR SURE that there are multi-named posters here. Lighten up. Life's too short for what you're going through.

David: couldnt agree more heartily.

toe fur threadkiller /

yeah....seriously, all of your threads are at least 50% you telling us what an awesome team you and tomos make.

i love hearing about rad shit that people do, but i hate opening a thread thinking it's gonna be something remotely interesting and instead it's another "so this one time, i went 7500 miles on a moped! i'm awesome!" thread.

you love tomos. you went really far on one. i'd go so far as to say you might have had an epic journey. sweet. leave it at that.

Hear hear, Topher!

You still comin to the ATL sometime?

toe fur threadkiller /

as soon as i can, my friend.

as soon as i can.

the south, she calls to me with her sweet tea and abundance of gravy on breakfast food.

Blame Vanessa /

Sorry you see it that way Topher .. I just want people to know what a moped can do .. probably any moped that's well maintained. I'm not for me, here, I'm for the ride.

Blame Vanessa /

Yeah Yeah James . . read my reply to Topher, please do.

« Go to Topic — end of thread