Scooters vs mopeds

I see scooters everywhere, mostly chinese. I'm the only person in my area with a moped -- a Tomos LX

I cruised around my area on my bicycle, checking out the chinese scooter market:

Yamaha dealer -- $2000 for a Zuma, $1600 for a chinese E-ton

Chevrolet dealer -- $2400 for a fancy chinese

Farm implement dealer -- $999 for a Manco (looked pretty good, I have no idea how it ran)

Outboard motor dealer -- $1100 for a chinese

Joe's Automotive (used cars and anything else) $1000 for a chinese

Tomos dealer -- $1300 for an LX, $1150 for a ST

What do you think is the reason so many scooters are on the road, and so few mopeds? I see that even the cheapest chinese scooter has electric start, a gas gauge, and a more upscale look to everything. Sigh . . .

Re: Scooters vs mopeds

there are more scooters because they have electronic ignitions, turn signals, all that plastic shit. like hollywood holt says - mopeds break a lot, but they easy to fix

Bruce Edwards /

As I've heard from the largest US Tomos retailer, " Tomos' marketing is fucked. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and there is massive internal company political problems. They won't spend any money to promote the US market" That's a damned near direct quote from a conversation 3 weeks ago.

Perfekt Timing Angel /

Mopeds = Awesomer. The majority of people can't handle the +1,000,000 awesomness factor. They settle for chinese junk instead.

The end.

You want to see some chinese scoots, look on craigslist. All of them will be 1-2 years old and "not running, some cracked plastic". Pretty sure they make the carburetors out of like paper mache or something.

All those cheap chinese scooters are shit, don't run for more than a couple years and then they are unfixable or can't get parts. I know people who've had this problem and just look on craigslist to see more people trying to ditch their crap scooters. Meanwhile moped riders are running stuff that is mostly 25-30 years old. Now an actual real Vespa scooter is a decent machine but at about $3000-5000 its overpriced as hell. There are also Hondas and other decent Japanese scooters but again they are pricy. And who needs electric start? Batteries die all the time.

They won't promote the U.S. market because they do not intend to stay in the U.S. market, except maybe with scooters. The EPA is driving them out of the U.S. market. If you want a new Tomos, better get one while you can. Peace. Jerry.

I have an '06 Honda Metro that I got cheap, from someone who had a minor accident, a few scratches, and was scared to ride it anymore. It had less than 300 miles on it. It now has over 3000 miles on it, without a single problem. Makes great transportation, is comfortable, lots of storage under the seat, kick and electric start, super loud horn, 100mpg, 40 mph. It has no character, and is not really any fun to ride, but I'm not afraid of having it stolen out of a grocery store parking lot like a moped. Scooters, mostly Chinese, are pretty common around here, and becoming more so as gas prices continue to go up. But as I said earlier, I have yet to see one moped around here actually being used for transportation. People are lazy, and it is easier to start and ride a scooter compared to a moped. And the fact is that your average member of society today doesn't even know what a moped is, but they see scooters everywhere. Plus since they are all enclosed and covered in plastic, so you can't actually see any mechanical parts makes them more attractive to people that are used to driving a car. Peace. Jerry.

Bruce Edwards /

I agree, I live in Lincoln Park in Chicago and there are at least 10 scooters chained up in a 3 block radius andthey're all still there. No problems with the cops either as I hear it. I might have to get one as a throwaway vehicle.

Small Wheels Flip U /

If you want style and pizzazz buy a pair of rhinestone tinted sunglasses .. if you want a bike that turns summersaults when it hits a pothole buy a scooter with their tiny wheels ..

if you want high gas mileage buy a moped .. if you want to cruise at a safe, sightseeing speed buy a moped .. if you want higher repair and parts expenses buy a scooter (or moped for that matter) with electric start to screw up and a gas guage to fail .. if you want to be legally able to run down along the right side of a long string of cars at a stoplight buy a moped .. if you want speed forget the scooter and buy a motorcycle .. if you want to go across the continent and back without breakdowns buy a Tomos moped (I have no experience with any other kind) .. if you want your bike stolen buy a scooter (higher resale value) and normally no spoked or cast wheels to lock your U Lock with to an immoveable object .. if you want high price buy a scooter .. if you want low insurance buy a moped.

Small Wheels Flip U /

Holt must be buying the wrong mopeds .. I had 10,000 hard miles on my Tomos before I even got a dirty fuel filter.

Small Wheels Flip U /

What could be easier to start than a moped? Try starting a scooter when your electric starter burns out.

Tyrone Biggumss /

this is really just a 'i love mopeds and this is a list of why scooters suck post'

Not one of these posts again...

my Yamaha scooter has a kick start as well as electric start, and neither one ever fails to work . I steer around large potholes to avoid flipping .

Rick

Ride On, Raisin /

Well, it's true (har har har). Scooters with big wheels and gas mileage like a moped are okay, except they're hard to load with gear for camping. Oh well .. there are trailers.

tomos or puch?

moby or puch?

scooter or moped?

can i use unleaded gas in this?

0I own Mopeds, My father owns 2 vespas (1 new and 1 old) and a lambretta (1956).

The two old scooters have 15+ on them and never give any guff. the brand new 07 vespa has both electric and kick start and both work flawlessly.

The big problem with them is the price. The vespa goes 60+ and gets about 75-85 mpg.

All the other brands try and be vespas. they just suck.

My puch runs great, breaks alot, but there easy to fix, Props to Holt!

depends where u get it i saw a scooter shop that actually serviced the stuff they sold (of the 3 i have seen the only one).Chinese yes no he hasn't been open for 2 years so all his stuff isn't dead and coming back so we will see in a year if he actually bought quality (what he says) or more Chinese junk (what i think)

Zeke

« Go to Topic — end of thread