removing tomos decals?

damn, these things don't want to come off. i just spent 45 minutes outside with a razor and a bottle of goo be gone and have nothing to show for it but a scratched paint job and painful crap under my nails. would a hairdryer help? anything? i hate them and want them off now. now!

thanks.

Re: removing tomos decals?

I used a hairdryer and some Duck brand adhesive remover... they came right off. The best thing to do is apply some heat, remove the heat source, then start at the corner and begin slowly peeling. Too much heat will make the decals rip as you are pulling - too little heat will make it impossible to remove. When you are done, use the adhesive remover. Lastly, use some soap and water.

Razor!!?? Use a hair dryer to heat them, and SLOWLY peel them off, then use WD40 to remove any leftover residue, and Windex to remove the WD40. The decals came off my Sprint real easy this way, without causing any damage. Peace. Jerry.

ha, yeah, razor. but only to gently pull up the bottom of the sticker. i don't think i really scratched the paint....but thanks a lot for your input. i wasn't sure if heat would be bad for the paint as well since the stickers seem almost fused onto the frame.

wd-40 is often used for removing decals. I've done it plenty of times,stuff is damn near magical..David

There is a trick to the hair dryer thing. It won't hurt the paint (use a hair dryer, not a heat gun), but you have to get it just right to get the stickers off easy. first get the corner really hot, enough to get it loose with your fingernail, then back off a bit, pulling the sticker off very slowly, and towards the other end, sort of like pulling it back over itself, keeping the hair dryer close enough to keep the adhesive hot, but not hot enough to melt the sticker, until it all comes off. Most of the time I can get them off in one piece, but sometimes they tear no matter what. Tapeworks.com has some good instructions on installing and removing stickers. I recently ordered some new stickers for my Sprint from them. Does McDonalds qualify as meat? Peace. Jerry.

so i'm still not having any luck at all. are they making these stickers stickier? i've spent several hours outside with a hair dryer, and the sticker just does not stay together. i get the corner up, and then it's just a fingernail scrape all the way down. the sticker will NOT come off in one piece, or even large chunks, but rather scrapes away just where my nail (or license plate) may be.

this happens regardless of whether i use the hair gun on the spot for 30 seconds or 3 minutes. after all my hours of work, i've only got about 1/4 of ONE of the decals off. i don't know what to do. a putty knife? what? how do i do this?

or...does anyone in chicago who knows what they're doing want to come help me? i'll make you dinner or buy you beer or something...

Hmm I removed every sticker from my Tomos. yes because they are hideous and look like they are from 1994. but luckily my bike is an 01. so if yours has had a few more years for those stickers to bake on then it may be harder to get them off. it only took me about an hour and a half. but be careful with the stickers that are on the ferrings. on mine it took the paint off. also try this. once you get an edge. press it over and try pressing down and rolling it off. this works sometimes. don't use anything like a razor or putty knife. its too curved and you will most def score the paint. I've done this to my car a bunch unfortunately. if it just keeps cracking. just take your time. or do one today. one tomorrow etc... it could just be the edge of the sticker too. it may be easyer once you get to a certain spot. good luck. and take your time.

Try the rolling technique. The point of the hairdryer is to heat the sticker so it will stretch instead of tear or break. On a sunny day a few minutes in direct sun light should do the trick.

I don't know what to say. Your profile says you have an '08 Sprint. I got the tank decals off my '08 Sprint in about 15 minutes with a hair drier, WD-40, and Windex. I have already installed my custom made decals. Peace. Jerry.

Ever try a decal eraser? I've used these to remove decals quite easily, just a matter of seconds. They use these to remove decals on fine paint finishes and "nary" a scratch. It also removes the gooey residue. If you do an Ebay search they want to sell you a complete kit including a grinder. Don't need it, all you need is the disc and a cordless or corded drill. The discs are available in automotive paint stores. Keep the razor blades in your shaver.

instead of using your fingernails, try an old ATM/credit card....i used one of those fake ones that i always get in those junk mail/credit card offers. with the hairdryer technique it works good and doesn't scratch the paint. apply some goo gone, let it soak in and bingo bango.

i went the other direction and used ice. I rubed the ice over the section I was removing and it would come off with the residue.

first order of business if i ever get a new tomos is removing those ugly-ass stickers.

yea, i started taking them off as soon as i got home with the moped... they might have been cool in the late 80's, early 90's but looked retarded on my 04 targa.

lol have a case of mgd and a big juicy steak ready and i'll be there in 5 j/k :P

I just took mine off with a bit of the old gasoline. Came off like butter.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some sleazy decals to repalce my hideous Tomos ones?

see if you can find some NOS 80's ones.

Not sure if this has been addressed but will doing something as simple as removing the decals impact the warranty at all? I've wanted them off the second I got my ST but I'm afraid of doing anything so as not to void it. What about painting wheels?

nah, paint that shit up... do whatever. cosmetics have nothing to do with the mechanics.

I'm going to add this since this thread came back up. in cause anyone has trouble with removing decals. I bought this thing called a "hot blade decal remover" from harbor freight. they go on sale a lot so it was cheap. like $7. but its awesome. its pretty much a soldering iron with the razor on the end. so you barely have to do any work the heat just takes it off and in such a way that it won't score the paint. def worth the buy if you want to save your stock paint.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hot-blade-decal-remover-65057.html

Anyone try a graphics eraser by any chance? I've been doing the hair dryer method and its taking a longer time than expected.

go buy a decal eraser. Attach it to a drill and poof decals shall be erased like ur fucked up math homework as a child.

hair dryer? heat gun or eraser or hours frustrated ur choice.

This was a bitch and a half. I used a bit of gas and a hair drier. I broke it up into two days because It was about as much work as I was willing to sit through at once. Don't skimp half way through it will look like shit.

.♠.MSG .♠. /

razor blades are for glass my friend. u should have just taken ur time and peeled them very slowly or just used a credit card............

see pic, its easy.....

'00-Sprint.jpg

Jerry Franek /

I had an easy time with them with a heat gun.

P1000247.jpg

mandy!!

peace jerry

Even with the heat gun it took hours of frustration to remove my Revival's decals! OY! But it was worth it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account