Correction - Type F not for A35 trans

Oil's not for smoking /

Sorry about that. I don't know what the Tomos A3 or A55 call for.

Re: Correction - Type F not for A35 trans

Actually, my Tomos A35 manual does say you can use Type A, Type F, or 10w30 motor oil. Somebody told me that is because they didn't change the manual when they went from the A3 to the A35, but who knows, it is in there. TomosUSA needs to come up with something they recommend that is readily available. Just like the early Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, Tomos seems to have trouble communicating in English, so their manuals are somewhat confusing. Peace. Jerry.

Type F trans fluid was design for high friction low pressure usage(that's us). Type A is more of a Hybrid then in it's own class. Dextron was designed for high pressure low friction usage such as can be found in GM vehicles and most Chrysler products these days. I've run Type F in my Targa for two years now and it works great..FWIW..David

I've run Type A in my 14,000 mile '03 ST since the first few hundred miles, with no problems, still has original clutches, but most of that is highway mileage. In the first few hundred miles, I tried DexronIII/Mercon, and Motul 10w30 transmission oil (which says right on the bottle that it can be used in mopeds) before finding Type A at a local truckstop. Where I work (city fleet department), I have never seen Type A, in fact I had never heard of it. When I first started there, back in '77, Type F was already being phased out. Now I have a '75 Ford truck that uses Type F, and a '64 Ford car that uses Type A. Both for sale. I really like them, but can no longer afford to drive them. Peace. Jerry.

Learned Something Valuable /

Yeah .. they had .5mm sparkplug gap in a pamphlet but .8mm in their service and repair manual .. probably translation or udating problems from A3 to A35 as well.

Learned Something Valuable /

According to a transmission shop in Ottawa, Canada, type A is Dexron lll Mercon. From all of the posts on this I guess a person could get away with using A, F or 10W30, but I'll stick to the A because it's Tomos recommended for that bike.

if you're running a kit or have any port work with big carbs pipes, etc... you'll need to go thicker than type f to keep the slip to a minimum. I use a nice mix of type f and 10w30 because 10w30 alone makes it shift to 2nd at too high rpm.

DexronIII/Mercon is the modern day equivilant of Type A, but they are not the same thing as far as Tomos goes. ANY type of ATF or oil would work fine if it weren't for those cork clutches. Oil is a better lubricant than ATF for gears or bearings, the reason many mopeds specify ATF is because of the clutches. Strange that motorcycle wet clutches don't require ATF. I've got over 14,000 miles on a set of those things, but I still wish somebody would come out with a non cork replacement. Asbestos maybe. Oops, wasn't supposed to say that. My boss has declared that anybody caught using that word while on duty will be fired. Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread