First "long" ride to work

After figuring out that even at 29.6 mpg in my pkup, it cost me $6.50 / day, I decided to get over my wuss side and ride. Sun angle is high enough early now that people will see me. I rode 21 mi. one way, took 1:05, figure 50oz. of gas for the trip @ 90mpg (0.39g) + 1.7 oz. 2T Amsoil = $1.94. When I get back to S. City from Bridgeton, I will put in 1/3 gal. and 1 oz. 2T and be ready for tomorrow.

As this was my first "long" ride in a while (long for me, thus far), my ass hurt a bit and my hands and feet were "ringing". I know that length of ride sounds comically short to some of you... but man it was great! Wore my docs, bomber, DOT beanie, shades, took off rings and watch, changed shoes when I got here. Screw OPEC and the whole complicit bunch of fools, I'm ridin' where I go like 90% of the time if I can now.

=D

Re: First "long" ride to work

fish_SHARK /

thats awesome man. those kenetics will really rattle you a bunch. though a friend of mine tells me you can swap the subframe, the lower part that connects the motor and the rear wheel out for a newer one off of say a 2001 and its a completely different and smoother ride.

dont feel like 20mi is nothing, you gatta start somewhere

An hour commute to work is a good accomplishment. Keep it up. Congratulations,

Moe

Damn, your lucky.

It takes me 40-45 minutes to cover the 10 miles to work on my ped. It's because of traffic though.

It sounds like you make pretty damn good time.

It takes me about 20 minutes to ride the 6 miles to work on my Tomos. My car gets 12mpg, and my truck gets about 8mpg. I've had to give up driving them if it isn't absolutely necessary. Since the price of gas is only going to continuue to go up, I have to assume this is permanant. BTW, mopeds are good for long distance recreational travel as well as commuting, I've ridden more than 500 miles over a weekend lots of times. Peace. Jerry.

Thanks fish_SHARK for the suggestion. I heard those crack. I will now know what to replace it with, if it does. The Kinetic is a rattly little beast. Sturdy where it counts, it seems to me, and from what others say. I will do the clutch and brakes of course, and try to get 10,000 out of it before I replace it with a Puch or Garelli or something else cool I read about here. A manual clutch would sure be nice. So would a Tomos 2 spd. auto.

I picked the best route I could, and hit a lot of greens. I pored over mapquest and my memory for a LONG time before going. I think this is the best way. Other roads are too fast (all mine were 25-35) or have too many stops. Traffic was a problem but it was RUSH hour. I was still able to do 25-30 for 70% of the trip, I'd guess. Pretty smooth sailing.

Going 20 mi. and thinking it "long".. yeah, gotta start somewhere. As gas gets more and more expensive, I will only ride more, so I'd better get my body used to it.

I'm going through a divorce. Every $ counts, as does every minute of fun.

Mopeds

Make

Me

Happy

First "long" ride to work

What kind of pickup gets 30mpg? I want one!

It's an '05 Ranger, I-4, stick, 2wd with soft tonneau cover. I get 30 when I short-shift, coast more, and do 60 in a 60. They advertise 29 which is usually a joke, but I've actually gotten 30-31 the past few tanks. Great little truck! I've loaded a bona fide 1000 lbs. on it too and only needed 4th on a few interstate hills. Snorty little four.

My commute is only 9 miles over some very moped friendly roads and takes me 20 minutes on average. I'm very lucky in that respect.

Once a week I ride down to our motorcycle club meeting 24 miles away through downtown Hartford (Capital City) and some higher speed then I like roads. Takes me right about an hour each way. But I really can't wait until the ferry starts running across the CT river next month so I can avoid the city.

Moe

Ride back was much the same. About 1h 10m for 21 mi. I stopped at a gas station 2 mi. from home, put 1 oz. oil in with 0.338 gal, and the level was about 1 1/2" below where it was this morning. I may actually be flirting with that "mythical" 100 mpg mark. With me (180) and all my shit, I must load 220 lbs. on the bike, so I put an extra 2-3 psi in the tires, 2 ft., 3 rear. Rode better, quicker. I didn't have to stop much.

One thing I do in city traffic - I engage eye contact and POINT when I am turning left in addition to signaling, and if they don't let me, the next car or two will. You gotta be assertive. I don't do it rudely, but I stick my arm out there and point my finger like "I'm taking the lane here".

Now that I've got all the turns down, tomorrow will be easier. I wasn't so sore when I came back home. This is awesome!

man, that's awesome. I did the same thing last year with my 2005 Kinetic, except my commute was only about 14 miles, and took around 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. This year, I live a little farther (about 22-25 miles, depending on which way I go) and do it on a 08 Tomos. What's awesome, is it takes about the same amount of time. Anyway, keep on riding, I love it when people make long commutes on bikes. It's kind of hard on the bike after a while, but get that $4.50 a day you saved, and put it in a jar or something. in 267 days worth of work, you'll have enough to get yourself a brand new Tomos! Or three or four older bikes. Or whatever.

Vimy Ridgeway /

I ride 4-5 miles to meetings downtown. Suit and tie, helmet. People just smile.

« Go to Topic — end of thread