Cleaning Tomos stock exhaust

I saw a post here saying the stock Tomos exhaust has a "secret tube" ahead of the baffle tube that can be cleaned with a coat hanger wire. Does anyone know the internal construction of the stock exhaust pipe -- it's a closed unit, so tampering is impossible. Mine is plugging, and I wanted to clean it or modify it to make cleaning possible. It's said that the catalyst is the culprit . . .

Re: Cleaning Tomos stock exhaust

BryAn eurism /

OK you know those cigarette butts you see on the ground? Imagine one 100 times that size, that's what Tomos installs in their pipes to keep EPA out of their hair. Ditch the stock and go with a nice shiny chrome Biturbo (or Technigas, but those spit oil back all over the chrome) remembering to upjet 2 jet sizes or ramming a #73 drill bit through. They're not that much louder than stock

OR you COULD cut open the stock pipe and toss the butt. You won't go any faster and there's a possibility you could end up in Terminal Island

Oil's not for smoking /

Mine is a stock 2001 A35 and doesn't have the catalytic converter. I discovered the little tube ahead of the baffle tube .. well kept secret which can really screw your power. I can't find internal muffler diagrams.

John Joedicke /

Put a A3 exhaust on it and you will have a slight performance gain. Larger header and less restrictive bends.

The non catalyst exhaust can be cleaned by removing the entire pipe, then removing the baffle, plug up the small end, lean the pipe against something with the small end down, fill it up with Castrol Superclean or Greased Lightning, let it soak a couple of days, and all the crap will come out when you pour out the cleaner. Flush it out from both ends with a water hose. Clean the baffle with the same type of cleaner, rinse it, reinstall it, and reinstall the pipe. The stock non catalyst pipes shouldn't get plugged up in less than 10,000 miles if you premix 40:1. Oh, and make sure you clean the exhaust port while the pipe is off. A small screwdriver and a shop vac with a really small nozzle work great. I have a little shop vac called a Stinger that I got from Home Depot, and the set of small attachments for it. It functions as both a vac and a blower, so when you wash your moped, you can use it in the blower configuration with the small nozzle to blow all the water off of it before it makes spots. Great for getting water out of tight places where a rag won't go. That is, if you wash your moped. Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread