gays/bi

i just wanted to know why people make funn of gay or bisexaul people

Re: gays/bi

because they are closed minded and ignorant?

Tyrone Biggumss /

thats like asking why did hitler hate jewish people... the world has a big mob mentality and if 10 people say gay people are weird than the othher 5 will join in

not all of them are

Dean, why are you calling gaybos "closed minded and ignorant?

Thats were all the hate is starting. With you. Dam you , you gaybo hater!

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

No, he meant the people that make fun of them are close minded and ignorant.

And yeah, it's because people are fucking idiots that have nothing better to do than hate others for being different than themselves.

because gender and sexuality is kind of like a psychological third-rail for people, especially people who have identity issues that they havent resolved. in general, i feel pretty comfortable saying that the majority of those who go out of their way to berate gay people are - either knowingly or unknowingly - manifesting their own fears and uncertainties about their own sexuality.

also, theres another category of people that do this in an ironic way, calling everything they dont like, "gay." often this starts out as a joke and then becomes a habit, and then its hard to tell whats going on.

mostly its just weird that people who are attracted to members of the opposite sex are so concerned with the fact that some people are attracted to members of their own sex.

well i all ready get made funn of in school cuz yes im am labled as a "EMO" kid and i just dont get way i should get made funn of even more since im also bi and i really dont see whats really wrong with gays or bi's

yeah, i guess i should have made my self more clear, haha. i heart the gaybos, not the haters.

Gaybos - never heard that one. Ha!

Yeah....it's ignorance and close minded attitudes....no other explanation. People who only know intolerance think they know a lot....when in fact they know very little.

i find it odd but im not going to do or say anything about it its jut the way you are, not my cup o noodles

As a general rule, people ridicule things that they don't understand, or find fearful on some level.

Gay people have their own thing(s) going on, but I reassure you: they aren't out to get straight people.

Everyone has their own life to live.. and we don't need others telling us how to do it. People are different from each other, is that a big surprise to anyone?

-L

wow i think he meant ppl that who make fun of gays are ignorant. Not saying that gays are ignorant

To make this moped related its the same reason ppl hate new tomos they secretly want one, or feel they are a threat to their way of mopeding. Its not just gays it's just how ppl act, when they feel threatened or don't understand.

If you want a sociohistorical reason, it's been most frequently attached to fear of the dissolution of the family as a social unit. It was/is really prevalent in places where the family unit is not only a mainstay of social functioning but also serves functions the state can't provide. In weak states (or in minority pockets that do not get the rights afforded to other citizens), you get your protection, provision, and security of all sorts from the family. Being gay has been lumped into a whole category of sexual deviancy in these cases where sexual forays weaken the family unit, produce discord, and sometimes break it altogether, putting everyone at risk by making labor an issue in a society where women care for the children and labor in a domestic space but do not hold jobs that pay them money (basically a large chunk of human history until about 100 years ago). Any activity that produces serious discord in the family gets the thumbs down (see many of the commandments and laws in the Bible, for instance). In this sense seeking sex outside of marriage does provide a rupture in tradition, where tradition holds sway as a precondition for social functioning. It's the same basic principles that have produced fear of promiscuous women. In a patriarchal system (pre-Maury Povich) where you could not get a convenient DNA test, all property and ownership were determined according to family lines passed down through the father. Therefore, a promiscuous woman could change the family line and ruin generations of "good breeding" easily. This is why in many times and places, women were required to give proof of their virginity ("purity") before marriage. In a place where the system works matriarchally (as in many places in Africa) there is not a taboo for women to have relations more freely, because no matter who she knocks boots with, the child will bear her name and the family line will be unbroken. Now, none of this longwindedness adequately explains why "making fun" persists in a strong state structure where family is not threatened by the existence of people who have sexual orientations not aligned with producing progeny, except for the mention of "taboo" and persistent ideas about gender roles we've inherited from the last... oh, thousands of years of human living. Ancient and established ways of thinking persist through taboo and convention, just like we still shake hands today (which originally was a gesture designed to show that we weren't carrying weapons intent to kill each other--something we might have done in the Middle Ages). These take a lot of conscious working through and learning which parts of our reactions are subconcious and what is learned behavior. Inherited ways of thinking take time to analyze consider and weigh, and many people fear doing so--it's easier to reproduce prejudices than to reflect on where they come from and who they might hurt. So, basically a lack of thoughtfulness in many senses of the word. It's not rocket science. When humans are the subjects and also the observers, they have to suss through a lot of messy human drama, history psychology, sociology and whatnot to get to the root of these things.

A long answer for a short question. But it's something I've thought about as I've worked through my cultural studies material in school.

because stereotypes can be fucking hilarious when correctly used...and even funnier when incorrectly used.

if you have a problem with me mocking your sexual orientation, race, religion, country of origin, etc. to damned bad. you're here, you're queer, and i'll make fun of it as much as i want!

Corey you live in West Virginia. Shake yourself man. I have a brother in law from WV his given name at birth is Buddy. He has got stories that make me shake my head. This is the 21st century. Move to an open minded place, mow your lawn, pay your bills and don't let your dog crap in my lawn the kids play out there. Peace

Aint the real meaning of "ignorant"... the fact of not knowing? Please Correct me hear.

Cause you're in hi-school still. Kids make fun of everything without thinking at all.

I don't see it happen like ya might think with people that have been around a bit.

My eyes aren't that great tonight, as I burnt my tongue on some hot chicken soup.

EMO is GAY

i make fun of gays b/c most of my friends are gay and deserve to be made fun of. if people call you a fag then it's because you listen to emo and probably not because you are bi. i feel like a lot of macho dudes that pick on more feminine dudes are just pissed because they want to fuck them anyways and that makes them feel gay and they cant handle that so they freak out. and if you're a girl and a tom-boy, people will call you a dyke in highschool and then when you get in your twenties all those same dudes will think you are hot.

Re: EMO is GAY

i always thought dykes were hot

rebecca killed it. i liked that long-windedness, good shit.

"also, theres another category of people that do this in an ironic way, calling everything they dont like, "gay." often this starts out as a joke and then becomes a habit, and then its hard to tell whats going on."

honestly, I blame David Cross. Seriously, the joke about asking which line was the line for beer, and which line was the line for tickets with which you can buy beer? where the redneck replies, "I don't know.... Faggot!" you know? well, it was one of the funniest jokes ever, and it inspired all of my friends to answer, "I don't know, faggot" to every question asked us for at least a couple months. And it worked its way into normal conversation.

so blame that silly fuck for me doing it.

my balls my balls my balls /

dang becky, you really broke it down. You are seriously inteligent, plus insanely beautiful. For these compliments, can you please send me a few photos of you in a swimsuit, preferbly a two piece?

Thanks in advance for considering.

Bruce Edwards /

I just want to know why so many gays have that stupid "gay" accent. They only seem to acquire it after they "come out". And don't even get me started on the body language....

my balls my balls my balls /

way to go Bruce! Tell us how you feel about the mexicans or those colored folks as well! You sound like you know what you are talking about!

Woah. - the banner ad is for a gay advertising company. The Man is real smart these days

I think it's a step towards acceptance. Humor is often used to explore that which we are uncomfortable with. Really when referring to someone as gay/bi you are referring to their sexuality and sex is by nature funny. We laugh at heterosexuality as well because we are even uncomfortable with sex on that level. True, there is some very cruel humor pointed at the gay community but much of that comes from the notion that it's a choice (if this were the case I think you'd find bisexuality would be the norm). Even so it is progress in that we don't just pretend it doesn't exist and it does get talked about now. The best progress is always slow.

the only "gay" or "bi" people i have ever made fun of are the ones who, believe it or not, do it to fit in. there are really freshman girls at my school who try to be "bi" so other people will think theyre cool. there are some legit gay people in my school also, and i dont make fun of them. they dont throw it out there to improve peoples opinions of them. they just are what they are.

and yeah, most people are closed minded and ignorant about things like this. thats the world for ya. if youre gonna be gay or bi, its something youre going to have to learn to live with. at least for now. and especially if youre in high school. its like riding a moped. there is always going to be someone who will make fun of you for it, but its what you love, so they can just chill.

Time for a moment from 'Clerks' (the animated series)

Englishman walks into the Quick Stop..

Customer: "Pack of fags, mate?"

Randall: "I'm not your mate, fag!"

Customer: "No, it's a cigarette, mate.."

Randall: "You're a cigarette... fag!"

He he.. too bad they canceled that show, but the DVDs are widely available! =)

"And this is our bookstore, which has its own coffee bar.. which also has its own teeny-tiny book section!"

-L

You can forget it if you think everyone is eventually gonna get along and love "fill in the blank" people. We live in a cruel world full of assholes. Just be glad you found a group of friends here that obviously don't put that dopey shit in front of friendships.

I have to say that things have changed in the gay to hetero relations game. When I was young the only openly gay people were Liberace and Paul Linde. Well, we had suspisions the latter was). OK, and there were a few more, but you get the idea.

I think the off the wall gay pride, almost naked parade revelers is pushing it though. We can't be promopting orgies in city streets. Other than that, whatever floats your boat.

Just don't make a move on me!