looking to buy a 50cc moped - uk. recommendations?

hello everyone!

my first post here. :)

i was wondering if anyone can help me out. my dad is looking to buy a new 50cc moped here in the uk. he has asked me to look into it, but i dont know where to start! there is so much stuff here on the net lol!

he is basically looking for something reliable and economical. i dont think he is bothered about looks. good handling would be an advantage. is there 1 bike that has all these? maybe a modern classic that everyone rides?

not too sure about his budget... i would guess low to mid price range.

thank you!! :D

Re: looking to buy a 50cc moped - uk. recommendati

Well most people will agree on Puch.

I like the 50's and 60's MS50's or the MV50's Puchs. I ride an American version sold through Sears and Roebuck, back in those days.

I ride ALOT more than I ever have to work on it! So anyway, I hope ya get what ya want.

If you were to ask about horses, I'd suggest an Arabian.

If you are looking at a true moped with pedals, get a Camino. They are dead reliable.

Otherwise try finding a NVT Easyrider. If you do, get a model ER2 This will have a two speed gearbox and will handle hills easier if that is a concern.

Otherwise, if you want a new one you will probably have to get a Tomos.

I said "American version." This doesn't mean it was made here. It was mad in Austria like all the rest, but our version is a cheaper built one in my opinion. I still love it alot, and it goes ANYWHERE. I have even taken it on alot of mountain (serious real Montana mountains) trails.

I'd suggest Puch. Lots of parts available, and a pretty reliable moped, even if ya end up with a cheesier 70's or 80's model.

---_DeeZy_

Mine is also a 2 speed.

Oil's Not For Smoking /

Tomos Targa LX or similar Tomos with a large seat.

I second a Camino, Nicely built bikes

Notice he said "new" and also keep in mind that the European idea of a moped is quite different than ours.

Current EU regulations have pretty much killed the 2 stroke so check into Peugeot, MBK and Honda...

Peugeot makes some damn fine rides...

Steve Williams /

i don't think any true mopeds are available in the u.k. anymore.i believe the u.k. definition of a moped is a '2 wheeled motorised bicycle of not more than 50cc with a design speed of no more than 30 m.p.h.'.i guess you'll be getting a twist and go scooter if you want new but ffs don't buy anything chinese because it'll spend more time in the workshop than on the road.if you want a classic moped get a honda pc50 or camino,it will be old but still easy to get bits for and super reliable,you should be able to pick up a mint one for 500 quid.

Steve Williams /

here's a nice pc50-ebay item no.150247331633

Steve Williams /

here's another one,ebay again,item no.330236661564

Steve Williams /

or if you fancy a project!

ebay no.180241702353

if i was closer i would buy the p50,it was the first moped i had,i was 12 years old and my dad took it apart,engine and all!.he told me that when i managed to get it back together i would know enough about it to ride it and maintain it.it was a tough test but i did it after breaking 4 sets of rings because i thought you had to hammer the barrel on to get the rings to compress!!!!

Words mean something sometimes /

I thought that was the only genuine definition of moped regardless of which country you're in.

looking to buy a 50cc moped - uk. recommendations?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I have a cyber friend from the UK, he says he seldom sees classic pedal mopeds since they dropped the pedal requirement. Jim

Steve Williams /

'I thought that was the only genuine definition of moped regardless of which country you’re in.'

not so,here in the u.k. the need for them to have pedals was dropped but the name stuck.

« Go to Topic — end of thread