Type F is not for Tomos

Oil's Not For Smoking /

From the Ford website: "Motorcraft® ATF Type F should not be used in newer transmissions requiring MERCON® LV, MERCON® V or MERCON® SP."

From the Tomos booklet: Gearbox - Oil - "ATF Type A Suffix A - quantity 300cc.

From the Tomos booklet: fuel: 98 Octane gas 50:1 (2%)

Spark Plug - BOSNA F75 or equivalent.

Re: Type F is not for Tomos

If you can find Type A, let us all know. Last I heard, nobody can find an online supplier.

John Joedicke /

BOB, where in Canada can I find a Bosna plug....probably in some garbage pail! Also found any type A ATF lately? Not in Canada! You use what is available and better grades.

I found Type A at a Loves truckstop, almost $4 a qt. If you can't find Type A, I recommend DexronIII/Mercon. 87 octane works fine (in the U.S.), and I recommend 40:1 gas/oil ratio. I've ridden over 24,000 miles on 6 different mopeds with this ratio, with NO problems. Peace. Jerry.

Oil's Not For Smoking /

Why online? Type A is Dexron Mercon lll - garages, auto supply stores, Canadian Tire, etc.

John Joedicke /

Where does it state that?

Oil's Not For Smoking /

I have no problem finding Type A Dexron Mercon 111 in Canada .. it's used in Ford and GM newer automatics. Probably any auto supply store will find an equivalent plug .. they have books for matching. Or take the old plug in for them to look at.

Oil's Not For Smoking /

Type F Ford Website - Dexron Mercon website - in the little pamphlet Tomos gives with their bikes.

Type A and DexronIII/Mercon are 2 totally different things. I have a '64 Ford that uses Type A, that can also use DexronIII/Mercon, but a Tomos is different, because of the cork clutches. You can use DexronIII/Mercon in a Tomos, but the clutches will wear out faster. Heeters says to use Golden Spectro 10w30 2 stroke motorcycle gear lubricant. Spectro oils makes good stuff, but I don't know about it's compatability with the Tomos clutches. I use Walmart 10w30 oil in the transmission of my old 2 stroke Yamaha dirt bike, but it doesn't have cork clutches. My A35 manual says Type A, Type F, or 10w30 oil. Who knows. Peace. Jerry.

Tomos has recommended a few different things, basically said its ok as long as its designed for automatic transmission use. I've found that Type A is best followed by Type F. Type A can sometimes be found as coastal unilube is still selling it. The tomos has a wet clutch, nothing fancy, nothing like the automatic in a car for sure. The transmission fluid must keep the bearings and gears lubricated (which atf isn't really the best but gets the job done) and the fluid shouldn't attack the soft cork clutch pads and adhesive, thats all. The truth is, if it wasn't for the sensitive clutches you could dump just about anything slippery in there. Some additives (not sure which ones) can attack the material causing it to swell and become useless. This is the reason its usually a good idea to avoid dexron/mercron/30w motor oil. Some people get away with using the wrong stuff and some people don't, without knowing what it is exactly that affects the material its hard to say what to avoid. Type A seems to be the most viscous out of the different types of transmission fluid which probably is a little better for the bearings and gears. Type F is similar in viscosity but its said to be a little more abrasive. I haven't noticed a difference between either and have had no noticeable wear to the corks over the last few years. Type A hasn't been used in the states for years, most automatic mopeds use type f. I'm not sure why tomos recommended or still recommends type A, since it was out of use before the tomos automatic lineup was even formed.

I recommend NGK plugs also.

Oil's Not For Smoking /

I agree about not using 10W30 but Type A is still widely available at least here in Canada but I'll bet it's easy to find in the U.S. too at auto supply stores. Tomos would not recommend something which attacks the materials it's used in. Ford makes Type F and if they say on their website not to substitute Type F for other kinds they must have their reasons.

John Joedicke /

I see Gulf Oil has Type A atf. But finding a station with it is another thing. Also GM sells it but same problem.

hah. i've been putting that shit into tomos for years without trouble.

It's a moped.

I use Motul Transoil in all of my bikes...

Type A can be hard to find at Auto Parts stores.

I get it at gas stations and grocery stores.

type A is a pain inthe ass to find. type F is everywhere and works the best. dexron/mercon and motor oil are supposed to make it shift smoother but they have only made my clutches slip more.I've tried all the recomendations and my votes with type F.

George Smith /

funny thing is type a is everywhere here....Dexron Mercon on the other hand not so much...

i searched this last week and there's a bunch of conflicting info on here, as evidenced by most of these posts. what we do know is that type A is stupid retarded hard to find though.

i went with some golden spectro 80w gear lubricant from the cycle shop. i've only ridden a little since i changed the fluid so i can't make a true comparison yet...though it does seem to shift a tad smoother.

Whats the NGK# for an a35 tomos. I know the Bosnia #, but I currently have a br6hs ngk plug in her, and no problems, but if that isn't the right one...

B6HS/BR6HS I believe. Same thing but the "R" one has a resistor and isn't needed if you have a resistor plug cap.

Type F is not for Tomos

Tomos company literature says (in different places) A and F. I found Type A in the local grocery store here, $2 for a quart. Heeters has Golden Spectro 80 wt 2-cycle gear oil, which is supposed to work very well, at about $6.50 per quart. Dexron Mercon is reported by reputable sources to shorten the life of the clutch lining. Type F is supposed to give a more pronounced shift feel, Type A gives a more smooth shift. The difference is additives that modify the viscosity under conditions of fluid shear (what happens in the film between the clutch drum and the clutch inner segments). There was a lot of posts about this not too long ago.

motul transoil is what your moped wants

BryAn eurism /

I third that on Transoil. Although to get back from Sunnyvale after I fragged my sprag on Hwy9 I used The same Walmart Super Tech 2-stroke that clogged my exh port. It was like pine tar on a Louisville Slugger. Chatter all the way home

In Michigan, Type A is a stock item at Spartan supermarkets, currently about $2 for a quart.

Words mean something sometimes /

Type A is dexron mercon (lll).

Oil's not for smoking /

Right - conflicting information means go with the manufacturer's specifications and the oil manufacturer's recommendations. Ford makes Type F and says don't use it where other oils are called for, which means they're willing to lose sales to maintain their honesty.

Oil's not for smoking /

It's possible the dfifference in literature regards different products. I should have specified Type F is not for A35 engine/transmission.

Type A was used in most earlier GM car transmissions, Ford wasn't keen on using a GM fluid in a Ford product, so they just came out with a similar fluid ,and called it an F type, shouldn't be much different ,if at all from an A type.

thanks for the opinions presented as facts, everyone!

i have some crazy shit i wanted to pull out of my ass and share with everyone!

type A is actually just worstershire sauce

you can run 2t oil in the gearbox, as long as its not synthetic

my uncle's roomate's sister's husband worked for ford and said they have to kill seven bunnies to make each SUV.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.