Go with the book

Son of a Toolmaker /

Departing from manufacturers' specifications is not good. Manufacturers' design and build mopeds to give themselves a good reputation so they'll sell more bikes, then someone comes along and uses a different tranny oil which wrecks their clutch pads and gaskets, and they say "This manufacturer sucks!" Or they try to squeeze every drop of power out of an engine designed for economy, and wonder why they burn bearings. Well folks, my Dad is a topnotch Tool and Die Maker who makes his cars last for decades, and he says "go with the book". Manufacturers have room for improvement, like Tomo's litle pamphlet which came with my Targa LX said spark plug gap .5mm, while Tomos website service and repair manual says .8 .. and .8 was better. So, if you want to know which oil to use, or which gasket, or bearing, or tire, ask your manufacturer.

Re: Go with the book

that's all well and good for mopeds still in manufacture, but not always applicable for ancient imports.. and beyond that, oils and fluids such technologies have improved over the course of the last 40 years (case in point, older 2-stroke oils called for 25:1 mixture but newer synthetics work well at the now-standard 50:1).

Son of a Toolmaker /

Almost any conventional two cycle oil in auto parts stores or garages are 50:1. Synthetics burn cleaner because they're designed to do so, but still at 50:1.

thats what i'm sayin, but goin by the book you'd be using 25:1, so going by the book is not always the best advice.

« Go to Topic — end of thread