First moped 69 vespa ciao quick question

First moped 69 ciao quick question /

Hello, I just got my first moped a 69 ciao and I have a few questions. Was given to me from a friend and had a few problems. Got it running and runs good just needs throttle cable and some minor stuff. My question is my Girlfriend is going to be doing most of the riding on this thing and I was wondering how fast she will be able to go. She only weighs 115 or 120 lbs and it's pretty fast around here. I noticed on the hub where the clutch and belt are that it says 30 km/h stamped on there... thats like 20mph is this correct?

Re: First moped 69 vespa ciao quick question

yeah that is, you may have one of the older ones that doesn't go past 20 25 stock. I forget what is restricting it but i think its the trans

Dunno about the tranny, but I'm 99% sure they used different carb sizes on the different models. 10.10, 12.10, and 12.12.

yes you got it. you could get a variated rear hub from a vespa bravo. also i cant remember the one ciao i saw but im pretty sure you can also put the front variator from the bravo on there too. can you post pictures of your carb and exhaust pipe? i have upgraded carbs twice and exhaust pipes three times on my bravo. also the engines i have pulled apart, i have noticed a bit of a difference in the port area of the piston and cylinder. the engine for a Si and a Grande is visibly different from my bravo engines. they are higher output than mine.

I'd go ahead and buy a 13.13 dellorto from treatshq on ebay, cause you'll want one eventually anyway, no point in spending $30 on a 12.12 when you can go get a 13.13 for $55.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vespa-moped-dellorto-13-13-carburetor-ciao-bravo-grande_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35620QQihZ008QQitemZ180240576911QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Also get a better exhaust, like this one from Zippy:

http://stores.zippymopedparts.com/-strse-129/Exhaust-Muffler%2C-Polini-Marmitta/Detail.bok

And one of the hi-flow air filter from zippy, like this:

http://stores.zippymopedparts.com/-strse-130/Moped-Air-Filter%2C-Malossi/Detail.bok

Youll also need some jets for your carburetor, cause the #66 that comes with the 13.13 will be way too big. Anyway, thatll all set you back a couple hundred, but I expect youll be well over 30mph with that setup. I have the same on my Ciao but with a MUCH weaker exhaust, and it goes about 34.

other stores have better prices than zippy, but zippy's got some rad stuff.

variators are rad and all, but kind of a headache. if a wheel/variator setup falls in your lap, go for it, but a variator is unneeded to make your ciao go pretty good and be a lot of fun.

yeah my variator set up took 2 months to get together but it was winter so the wait was fine. But it hauls ass up till 40 than the trans kinda stops it

way lame

What if I just put a 80mm pulley on instead??

You will gain some top end and lose some low end. Also, make sure you put a frame brace on there if you're going to go fast (anything over 40 for sure, maybe lower), or you might snap your bike in half.

break a ciao frame huh after what i did to my first ciao i dont think one would ever break

that was my offroading ped i used to beat the fuck out of that thing for a hard tail it would land jumps pretty well and i never ever bent the frame never mind break it

Not my picture, came up in the tuning forum a while ago.

Is that a Pipe I see on the other side of that ashtray? LOL!!!

« Go to Topic — end of thread