tomos a 55 engine oil pump clutch bad?

hi,

whats this i am hearing about the a55 engine having a bad oil pump clutch going bad after around 500 miles? forgive me for my ignorance but is that the oil injector that everyone removes anyway or is it something else completely? and if it is something else, what would be the fix?

thank u

Re: tomos a 55 engine oil pump clutch bad?

BryAn eurism /

No man it happened on A-3 & A-35 the same. Just replace the rubber magneto nut for the tall steel one

Can you expand on the "tall steel one". I went to the dealer and explained my concern over the rubber magneto nut, he called Tomos and they told him I'd have to make my own fix for this problem. I have a streetmate with around 500 miles. My son's 05 rubber magneto drive Targa LX failed and his airsil kit was ruined in the process. His also had 500 miles on it.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Were these seized motors covered by the Tomos warranty? Jim

so how is this fix done ?

they would be but not now on a 3 year old bike

I think Tomos only guarntees their bikes for 3 months. At such a low selling price, I don't see how they do it. Jim

whats this "tall steel one" ?

There are 3 types of oil pump "clutch"/couplings. The old style is a steel nut with 2 fingers and then a real soft aluminum disk which fits in the center with notches to fit the fingers.. Then you have a solid steel one piece one, this is the best one I believe. Then the later style is a steel base with a rubber driver on the end.

wait, you can make Tomos oil injection reliable?

The A35 clutch wears a bit, but mine was still doing its job fine at 10,000 miles, and probably had another 5,000 on it.

The A55 is said by some to break down at 50 miles.

Wiffle - I have 10,000 miles on my A35 without a problem with the oin injector.

Tyrone Biggumss /

oil injectors are sketchy things.. mine works but i really dont like chancing it.

just go premix and you'll never regret it

The entire oil injection system, except for possibly the pump itself is junk. I had 2 systems fail on 2 brand new mopeds, one failed on the way home from the dealer, and luckily only caused a soft seize. I removed the second one before the moped was ever started. They both had badly kinked and crushed oil lines behind the flywheel cover, and I also found most of the oil line connections were bad while removing ithe systems. In addition to the poor quality parts and assembly, the system design itself is bad. The pump runs off the end of the crankshaft, with no connection to throttle position. So even when it does work as designed, you will get to much oil under some circumstances, and not enough under others. Get rid of the system, and your troubles are over. The rest of the moped is excellent quality, if you don't mind all the plastic. Peace. Jerry.

tomos a 55 engine oil pump clutch bad?

The new ones have a metal nut. At least my '08 LX does, and all of them use the same engine.

BryAn eurism /

^Whoever said fingers on the nut. That's what I meant, been too hot to sleep. Only thing is gotta watch that disc maddog, or you'll learn in about 2 seconds why you never take things apart over dirt and grass, or anything else that's not paved

Good to hear the '08 has the 'finger' nut, the oil inject is super reliable with those, and the pumps ARE made by Dell-orto. Only problem these days seems to be a slight over-pressure, where you come out after a ride and find a green puddle underneath

i would leave the pump on a stock 08 tomos, but remove it if you plan to run a kit. removing the pump when running a kit seems like it should be common knowledge, but i guess not.

when i get my lx one day, i will be keeping it 50cc, but i will also remove the pump, as i love mixing in my tank!

I have posted this before but I think it is a good read for new riders. ‫Jim

Author: STEAMBOAT (---.trvl.dmt.ntelos.net)

Verified User: stevyost

Date Posted: 10-30-07 10:56

In defense of Tomos, I Googled several combinations of Tomos injection remove(see below)

1 – 10 of about 549 for tomos injection remove.

Rider A

Results 1 – 10 of about 281 for tomos injection remove rider A

Results 1 – 10 of about 180 for tomos injection remove Rider A

IMO Rider A seems to have more problems with Tomos oil injection removal than most of the people that post about it on the internet. 83.9% of the time his screen names appear.

rider A has posted all over the internet, That's why you hear so much about it.

According to the article below,Tomos produces about 80% of the mopeds worldwide and they have used oil injection for many years on several models. Are they that wrong? Jim

http://www.trans-amseries.com/News/Article.asp?ArticleID=2898

TOMOS USA is a US based subsidiary of TOMOS, which is part of Hidria Corporation, a large multiple division European holding company with manufacturing facilities in Slovenia (4), Holland, Mexico (discontinued in 2003) and Ecuador and a total employment force of 3,500. The long established TOMOS European Operations Division (600 employees) is the manufacturing source for TOMOS brand vehicles which account for approximately 80% of 2-wheel moped sales worldwide, primarily in US, Holland, Canada, Caribbean, Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany and Slovenia. In addition sales are conducted in the UK and Japan.

« Go to Topic — end of thread