Tomos headlight question

Jamie Leonard /

I've been having some problems with the tomos headlight fixture (basically I need to replace the thing, it's a bit bent out of shape internally) - at any rate, I found a 12v 35 watt automotive fixture - and since the tomos has an aftermarket light bulb that is 12v 35w, it would seem logical to me to presume that if I can get the thing wired up it should work (it's a halogen fog light fixture actually)

Anyone tried doing something like this? Any thoughts on feasibility?

Re: Tomos headlight question

Reeperette /

>>Anyone tried doing something like this?<<

Yeah, but I did that on a Puch.

>>Any thoughts on feasibility?<<

Worked when I did it.

-R

Re: Tomos headlight question

Jamie Leonard /

Cool - bought them anyways on the theory "nothing ventured nothing gained" - already fabricated a bracket for them and I'll see how it works out. If all goes well, I have a headlight where I can actually BUY the freaking bulbs for it without having to mail order them in :)

(I am glad to hear at least one other person did this however)

Since it only has two wires instead of the three, I'm just going to hook up the ground and either the lowbeam/highbeam wire straight to the two connectors for the new fixture... should work that way (I hope) I'll lose lowbeam/highbeam selection but I never really used anything but highbeam anyways 99 percent of the time.

It works!

Jamie Leonard /

Just wired up the thing, and it works VERY nicely... the halogen bulb does a pretty good job of lighting up things (the oval shape of the light also gives a bit more side spread... less distance, but it'll make me more visible I think and give me more side viewing)

Mind you this means I have to make some modifications to the halfway designed custom front fairing.. but when I'm done I think the targa will look quite unique! :)

Toldja it would.

Reeperette /

A good start is to check out the local salvage yard and find an auto headlight bracket that'll fit the thing.

That will give you more options on how to mount it.

-R

Re: Toldja it would.

Jamie Leonard /

Actually I made a half square bracket and mounted the two fog lights in an over and under configuration... actually worked out to be REALLY quite solid and it's survived an entire day of potholes and bumps without moving even a fraction of an inch. Quite a unique look now... two black oval lights mounted one above the other where the single headlight goes. Now if only I can find slightly lower wattage bulbs that fit these things I'd have an ideal setup really (One light for lowbeam, both for highbeam effect.)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account