any mechanic recommendation in san francisco?

new to mopeds just got a 1977 vespa ciao i think it needs a little work and new tires. anyone know a good shop?

Re: any mechanic recommendation in san francisco?

This is me bumping Alex's thread. Girl just got a new ciao and it's actually pretty sweet for her first moped. Can anyone recommend a shop to her that works on mopeds in SF?

There's always the Cuperteens in (guess where). Or just come to the Sunset Riders ride tomorrow (meet at the Pit on 48th-ish and Judah) and someone there can probably help you out.

I saw Elliot there once. That guy has wrenches for fingers.

P.S. Figured Id give you an actual answer before everyone else gives you the right one:

Do it yourself! Fixing your own moped is the most satifying feeling. Like growing your own tomatoes.

yeah i know. except this being my first one i dont know enough about them to really do much. but thanks!

That's the beauty of it! I didn't posess an ounce of mechanical know how 4 months ago, but this forum is your DeVry school of Mopeds! Believe me, its more a matter of getting over the fear that you may mess something up, than it is actual know-how. These are simple machines. And with a little support (like say from a moped forum or local pedder) you CAN fix them yourself.

I have no idea how to put on new tires, but These Guys do.

ciao is where i started! and then moved away from :P

tell us about what it is doing or not doing, ride with some people or come to a monday and ask them about it "does this sound good, does this feel right? and then they might say yes or no, and when they say no, it sounds like your speedometer is going backwards, you can come on here and research that and address the issue yourself.

or read and read and read, so that you already have ideas of what to look for, common things to expect from a ciao and so on. read enough so you know everything, like vespas dont work if the tail light is out.

(i didnt mean the learn to ride course post as a dig on you)

is it a white ciao?

alex, 1977 mopeds in the city just got a new location and they are going to be able to do repairs now i believe, but you should call them and see when things are going to be up and running because i'm not quite sure how long its going to take them.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

yeah, come ride with the sunset riders!

come to a monday where? they only real things it has been doing is if it idles for too long it dies and the throttle is a bit sticky and now the front brakes make a horrible squeaking sound due to the fact that i ate shit a few days ago. and no its a sliver ciao. and any help is much appreciated. do you know of any good links where i could get more info on the ciaos engine and repairs and such?

that is a good point thanks for the link!

come to a monday where?

creature monday night ride, usually meet at the castle, ask around, look for creatures on myspace, someone might be running that...

or the sunset riders wednesdays, keep your ears peeled.

they only real things it has been doing is if it idles for too long it dies:

how long is too long? that is just a moped quirk, give it some gas when you hear it lose it a bit.

and the throttle is a bit sticky: that means you can ride with no hands and that is SICK. / just remember to push the throttle closed when you want to stop/ or take it off the carb and slowly drip oil along the metal and into the housing to grease things up.

and now the front brakes make a horrible squeaking sound due to the fact that i ate shit a few days ago. something might need a quick adjusting, check out the nuts, look for bent metal.

and no its a sliver ciao. not my old one then

and any help is much appreciated. do you know of any good links where i could get more info on the ciaos engine and repairs and such?

« Go to Topic — end of thread