Tomos Targa LX Gas Mileage?

Do any of you know the stock gas mileage for a Tomos Targa LX (2002 preferably)? I'm just curious.

Any of you know which mopeds give the best gas mileage? I heard Kinetic TFRs get 150mpg, but wasn't sure if that was correct, or if that was the best for mopeds.

Re: Tomos Targa LX Gas Mileage?

Stock LX should be around 100. Motobecane claims 147 but I've never had one run that long consecutively.

Long Distance Tripper /

My 2001 Tomos Targa LX measured with each fillup during the first 3,000 miles of my trip 7,500 miles trip got 130 miles per Canadian gallon .. and that was with 200 lbs of me plus 150 pounds of camping gear, etc. I didn't measure mpg on he return leg of the trip. I was getting the same mpg in the city but with only the 200 lbs of me. I don't know the math to equate that in U.S. gallons but estimate 100 mpg. Tomos is such a strong bike that it's hard to beat in any way. I don't even know if mine needed new rings at 10,000 miles because I didn't do a compression test like I should have, but put the rings in this winter and after a few miles run in I got over 100 pounds .. I don't think they're fully run in yet. The only problem I have is on cold, wet days when the engine will misfire until it warms up.

I get about 85 mpg from a stock Tomos, ridden at WOT. Solex claims 200 mpg, but the best I've been able to do is around 130.

Tyrone Biggumss /

if you go like 15-20 mph on a solex not reving just 15-20 mph constantley keeping the rpms low you get 180+ mpg

the mileage depends on how much your stopping, how many rpms your using, and if your maxing out the whole time.

My Solex has a top speed of 20 mph. I ride all my mopeds at wide open throttle, I mean, even that is not enough. I wish a stock moped would go 40 mph like a stock 50cc scooter. My Honda Metropolitan (50cc liquid cooled 4 stroke) does 40 wide open, and still gets 100 mpg, which is better than any of my mopeds, except the Solex, gets at 30 mph. Of course, a 4 stroke is more efficient than a 2 stroke, but Indian mopeds had 4 stroke engines, and they were the slowest mopeds ever made. It's time for somebody (not the Chinese) to design and build a 50cc liquid cooled moped with a variator that goes 40 mph stock, gets a real 100 mpg, and still looks like a moped. If it can be done with a scooter, it can be done with a moped. (It won't be, but it sure would be nice).

But .. laws in Canada govern mopeds to 30 mph - which is why the new Tomos A55 has a smaller cube than the old A35 - more power per cube. Otherwise, insurance and licensing would be in the motorcycle category.

There's not a cop in the land that will waste his/her time pulling you for going 50! I've flown by Toronto Cops, York Region, Durham Region, OPP and none of them even blinked!

yeah if theyre gonna pull you over it's because theyr ebored and if theyre bored and also dickheads (common problem) you're gonna get a ticket for something regardless of how fast you were going. "oh your eye protection doesn't have a DOT sticker"

also odd choice to bump from over a decade ago. I don't think most people are really accurate about mpg's, probably even less so than top speeds because theres nobody really keeping diligent track. It's also fair to consider how much we spend on oil, it can be another 30% the cost of the gas, real easily

« Go to Topic — end of thread